Today in the Spider Room?

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
It's probably perfectly fine until it's next mold. Spiders can be pretty crowded and be just fine. By "the next size up" I mean a slightly larger container of some sort. Just want to make sure it has room to molt.
yeah ill keep it in there untill then and ill see if i can get a larger deli container

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It's been only 10 days since I got Mr Blue Berry (C. versicolor sling), but I'm already completely and utterly in love with him (don't know yet of course). :kiss:

Mr Blue Berry_10052018.jpg

And I'm so proud of what he's done with his place already. :astonished:

20180510_webbing1.jpg 20180510_webbing2.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
Today was rehousing day. So far I've rehoused:

0.1 subadult P. subfusca lowland
1.0 juvenile P. rufilata
1.1 adult/subadult O. schiodei
0.1 subadult P. auratum

In between I collected 40 water bowls and put them in the dish washer. Then I lifted a cat out of a finished, but not yet occupied enclosure - then I've redone the enclosure :shifty:. Then I chased the 1.0 O. schieodtei around my shower stall. Then I dropped the bucket with coco earth :arghh:. The cats thought that was a lot of fun... :meh:. Now my house is a mess with coco earth everywhere and I'm taking a break :sour:.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Tommorow I'm planning on live streaming a live feed of my a avic tommorow until I get back from school what do you guys think of that idea?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Does it freak out from the sound of the velcro when you open the enclosure?
No, not at all. :) I'm not even sure if he's actually able to hear that...?
Also, it opens very easily, I just have to hold on to the door, otherwise I would probably lift the whole enclosure with it. ;) I actually have velcro with three of my enclosures and none of the inhabitants show any reaction, when I open them. I mostly use that stuff with my DIY encosures. :)

dmac

Arachnopeon
Mainly just checked for molts today, but no one's wearing new clothes yet. My C. elegans has been walled in a while and my B. boehmei and B. hamorii are taking their sweet time lol. Did take a couple of pics though, of my smallest and largest spiders at the moment. Rather amusing contrast, though both got some growing to do.

B. emilia
20180511_224555.jpg

T. stirmi
20180511_210217.jpg

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
My A. *avic flipped over a couple of hours ago which is cool and all, but I was suspicious of her being gravid. Nope, just really, REALLY chubby pre-molt abdomen. Still doesn’t explain why her abdomen lit up when I candled her.... Oh well, who needs a bunch of little baby tarantulas anyways, certainly not I:( And I was just starting to warm up to the idea:rofl: Oh well, at least her colors will be super vibrant and wonderful:D

*my phone autocorrected this to avocado. Just thought I’d share.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Mainly just checked for molts today, but no one's wearing new clothes yet. My C. elegans has been walled in a while and my B. boehmei and B. hamorii are taking their sweet time lol. Did take a couple of pics though, of my smallest and largest spiders at the moment. Rather amusing contrast, though both got some growing to do.

B. emilia
View attachment 275078

T. stirmi
View attachment 275079
My smallest and biggest are the same species, very similar sizes to yours!

I love the internet.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Two things of note( at least to me,lol). My C. marshalli has suddenly decided to web up the place after 4 months of just having it's J shaped burrow. All the webbing was done in the last couple of days. Second picture is my E. murinus who actually decided to not run and hide and let me take a picture for the first time.

C. marshalli web.jpg E. murinus.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
My A. *avic flipped over a couple of hours ago which is cool and all, but I was suspicious of her being gravid. Nope, just really, REALLY chubby pre-molt abdomen. Still doesn’t explain why her abdomen lit up when I candled her.... Oh well, who needs a bunch of little baby tarantulas anyways, certainly not I:( And I was just starting to warm up to the idea:rofl: Oh well, at least her colors will be super vibrant and wonderful:D

*my phone autocorrected this to avocado. Just thought I’d share.

Its not unusual for gravid females to molt out...one of the frustrations of breeding...right there with eaten sacs.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I'm running low on feeders, so today I'm doling out the ones I have left to the spiders that need to eat the most and the ones that can wait a couple of days til my feeders get here just got their water dishes changed. My LP has this thing where it will start to run then turn around and come closer and wait for dinner when I open it's enclosure.The only time it's ever kicked hairs was during it's last rehousing. I change out the water dish and it gets no dinner. If I didn't know better I'd swear it did this on purpose, lol. It turned around, walked slowly to the top of it's hide and raised it's butt pointed right at me. Oop, time to close the lid, it didn't kick but I have a feeling if I would have left the lid open it would have. It's not like it's starving lol, it just had a big roach 3 days ago.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
You know how they say a watched pot never boils?

Well, on January 25th, I started up a wax worm culture with about 30 worms. They pupated, became moths, flew around for a few days, died. You know the life-cycle. About a week after the moths died I would inspect it every few days, lookin' for worms. No dice. I was starting to get a bit frustrated, cause I really thought I did everything right. Maybe it's too dry? I lightly misted the culture once, about a month ago. After we moved to the new place the culture was put on the top shelf, and I had stopped checking it because I was pretty sure it had failed.

So, a couple days ago we were in the Chamber, just that last look in on the spiders before we go to bed. I happened to glance up at the top shelf, and what do I see? The substrate in the wax worm culture has become worms. I'm really kicking myself for not taking a picture of it. Probably had something to do with the fact that I'd been awake about 21 hours and stumbled on a tedious task I was obligated to attend to. :rofl: They had spun so much silk through the medium that it was a solid disk. It was tough to pull apart, like stale, spongy bread filled with wiggly worms.

The yield was a little over 400 worms. I have 10 tarantulas. I gave 300 to a lady that does wildlife rescue.

Oh, and I learned that they can chew through those plastic soup cups :shifty:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Came home to find my P. Miranda on the floor of the enclosure, with his face buried in the water dish. I've seen this one drinking more than any other of my Ts.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finished feeding fruit flies to my slings (trues, not Ts)
Debated on whether to get another wire rack shelving system or a bookshelf
Realized I need to rehouse my A. ezendami, P. irminia, B. klaasi, C. sp. Hati Hati, and P. sazimai
Ugh, not enough time

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Finished feeding fruit flies to my slings (trues, not Ts)
(you may already know this, just tossin' it out there anyways)
Fruit flies aren't any better for trues than tarantulas. I'm pretty sure the study that came to the conclusion that fruit flies aren't a good staple feeder for slings was actually conducted with wolf spiders.

lvc

Arachnopeon
Been watching my P.irminia juvie webbing a lot lately. (Got it from a local breeder to replace my sling, that passed away recently due to a bad molt). Oh what glorious dirt curtains she already made :). She Also hits prey like a truck. Also my H.gigas sling molted yesterday night and put on a good amount of size.