Today in the Spider Room?

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
The H. caffreriana sling with DKS has managed to molt successfull :astonished:. It's still somewhat dyskinetic but seems to be getting continously better. At the moment it's eating half a mealworm, so that's good
I'm so glad for you! Hopefully it'll be back to normal in no time:) How's everyone else doing? Any improvements?

lvc

Arachnopeon
Yep. Same species, same circumstances. Devastated. Cutest, seemingly healthiest wee sling ever gone for no reason I can explain.
Thanks for chiming in. Mine seemed really healthy as well, he explored his enclosure, didn´t just cower somewhere in a stresscurl and on the day before the molting he was enjoying some fresh water right form the dish, that was located on the floor of the enclosure. No idea why he/she chose that tight spot, especially considering that it didnt really provide a lot of darkness. I guess these things just happen sometime :(

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm so glad for you! Hopefully it'll be back to normal in no time:) How's everyone else doing? Any improvements?
It's really looking up so far. Only the GBB is still not doing well but I'm hopeful that all the rest will recover completely. Thanks for asking :).

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
It's really looking up so far. Only the GBB is still not doing well but I'm hopeful that all the rest will recover completely. Thanks for asking :).
That's wonderful! Hopefully the GBB starts the road to recovery soon

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
The H. caffreriana sling with DKS has managed to molt successfull :astonished:. It's still somewhat dyskinetic but seems to be getting continously better. At the moment it's eating half a mealworm, so that's good.
I had no idea spiders could get better from DKS. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like a death sentence.

boina

Lady of the mites
I had no idea spiders could get better from DKS. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like a death sentence.
They often die but they can recover sometimes. I made a whole thread about it but I'm on my phone right now. I'll look it up later if you are interested.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
They often die but they can recover sometimes. I made a whole thread about it but I'm on my phone right now. I'll look it up later if you are interested.
I am! It's never good for a new keeper (like myself) to ignore information that could help a T. :smug:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Been wrecking my head over what could have gone wrong/if it was my fault etc. My little buddy made a web-hammock for his molting-process in a spot where he had only a very narrow space between the corkbark and the side of the enclosure, so my best guess is that he got stuck because he tried to molt in a spot where he didn´t have enough space :(
Any of you ever witnessed similar situations? Pretty devasted right now.. :sorry:
Molting issues are generally not the keeper's fault.

I lost my elderly female Avicularia avicularia in March 2017 due to a bad molt. I think the cramped space in which she tried to molt contributed to her difficulties.

Jokesonmeow

Arachnopeon
I rehoused my a. avic today. I wanted an Exo Terra Nano Tall but when I couldn’t find one I settled for a bit of a bigger Zoo Med one. But it was just too big and started to stress me out to see my little princess in that big castle all alone in the corner.

I think she is pleased now. She offered a hug! :embarrassed:
85C9504B-F2CB-4D2C-87AC-18C100C5724C.jpeg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My Latrodectus Sp. laid a sack a month or two ago and today I woke up to 60+ slings. I took them to a wooded area and released the little guys as I didn't want to raise them all and they're native to my area anyway. My mom was happy to see them out of my room.

dmac

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend bought me a surprise stirmi today at the opening of a new local herp/exotic pet store, so I had a busy evening after work getting it all set up! He or she is now cozily tucked in under my girlfriend's western hognose snake. Fun times!
20180505_225609.jpg
20180505_225617.jpg
20180505_230111.jpg

Attachments

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Sounds like a good woman. Hang on to her!

I have been just dragging the last couple of weeks. All I got done today was feeding, watering everybody, I'm trying to bring my spider book up to date. Somehow, I lost a month. Now for the life of me I can't remember why. It just felt like more than I could handle to write down what spiders I have taken on, where I got them, what I paid for them, etcetera over the last month. Granted it's quite a number of spiders, but come on.

Anyway, all up to date. I wish I could say I felt accomplished, but I've just been sort of down and de-energized. Been spending quality time with the ratties. Somehow, fellow mammals seem the most comforting at such times.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i gotta release the gravid female jumper i caught immediately after watching it mate in the wild im just not ready to deal with jumper slings at the moment. i also have to house that (what i think is) that assassin bug i caught the other day right now its in two plastic cups stacked on top of eachother with no tape or anything... i hope its still in there. the cups also arent see through so getting that out is gonna be fun. i also have to change EVERY SINGLE TRUE SPIDERS SUBSTRAIGHT because of the mites i mentioned previously i never got around to changeing it because ive been dealing with personal stuff and havent had the time. i never re housed that lynx spider. i hope its okay. im really tired at the moment but i must do it i will post a thread abut the assasin bug because it does not look like any assasin bug ive ever seen

this will change, and it will change in a hurry. Blink twice, and you'll have 30 slings to feed. I know that's what happened here. 4 months ago, I had 8 mouths to feed. Now I've got a room full!

Springtails. I have a soil Mite allergy too, but since I started adding springtails to all of my more moist habitats, I've had virtually no problem with mites. The only way I even know they are there is if there is a big chunk of leftover feeder insect, and they are doing me a solid by eating it. Learn to live with your enemy. It won't hurt your spiders, will actually help them if present in a reasonable number. And the springtails will out compete them as well as eating mold. Springtails are God's gift.
there not spring tails (unfortunately) i checked

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
there not spring tails (unfortunately) i checked
No, I'm sorry, I meant get some springtails. They will out-compete the mites. They will also eat fungus and any leftover nastiness so that you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i gotta release the gravid female jumper i caught immediately after watching it mate in the wild im just not ready to deal with jumper slings at the moment. i also have to house that (what i think is) that assassin bug i caught the other day right now its in two plastic cups stacked on top of eachother with no tape or anything... i hope its still in there. the cups also arent see through so getting that out is gonna be fun. i also have to change EVERY SINGLE TRUE SPIDERS SUBSTRAIGHT because of the mites i mentioned previously i never got around to changeing it because ive been dealing with personal stuff and havent had the time. i never re housed that lynx spider. i hope its okay. im really tired at the moment but i must do it i will post a thread abut the assasin bug because it does not look like any assasin bug ive ever seen
okay so after a quick google search of "green assassin bug" i can confirm it is a Zelus luridus im going to feed it today ill tell you how it goes. i never got around to changeing substraight because the final level in the quest mode of guitar hero WOR destroyed my wrists seriously i can still feel the affect on my wrists a bit a day later. also my A. avic started webbing in its new enclosure but im a bit worried the enclosure may be too crampt and ive seen alot of posts here about a avics haveing bad molts because of crampt spaces ill post a pic after school tell me if you think its too tight in there.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
okay so after a quick google search of "green assassin bug" i can confirm it is a Zelus luridus im going to feed it today ill tell you how it goes. i never got around to changeing substraight because the final level in the quest mode of guitar hero WOR destroyed my wrists seriously i can still feel the affect on my wrists a bit a day later. also my A. avic started webbing in its new enclosure but im a bit worried the enclosure may be too crampt and ive seen alot of posts here about a avics haveing bad molts because of crampt spaces ill post a pic after school tell me if you think its too tight in there.
So I came home to feed the assassin bug and check out what I sat down and saw
20180508_172149.jpg
I'm not an expert on assassin bugs so idk how long I'm gonna have to wait before I can feed it but I'm gonna settle on a week or two like I would with a T. Now can you guys tell me if this avid enclosure is too crampt?
20180503_204120.jpg
20180507_160159.jpg
I can take some better pics later if needed. And finally no I haven't changed the substraight yet. I destroyed my wrists dominating quest mode on guitar hero WOR. I'm not worried about them because there are no mites showing up I just to do it as a precaution.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
So I came home to feed the assassin bug and check out what I sat down and saw
View attachment 274816
I'm not an expert on assassin bugs so idk how long I'm gonna have to wait before I can feed it but I'm gonna settle on a week or two like I would with a T. Now can you guys tell me if this avid enclosure is too crampt?
View attachment 274817
View attachment 274818
I can take some better pics later if needed. And finally no I haven't changed the substraight yet. I destroyed my wrists dominating quest mode on guitar hero WOR. I'm not worried about them because there are no mites showing up I just to do it as a precaution.
It does look just a bit cramped to me. Maybe one size larger for an avic of that heft. Nice furnishings, though!

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
It does look just a bit cramped to me. Maybe one size larger for an avic of that heft. Nice furnishings, though!
whats the next size up? and would it be too risky to keep it in there until its next molt

Last edited:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
It's probably perfectly fine until it's next mold. Spiders can be pretty crowded and be just fine. By "the next size up" I mean a slightly larger container of some sort. Just want to make sure it has room to molt.