Today in the Spider Room?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Two things of note happened in the spider room today, one very bad and one "once in a lifetime" off-the-charts phenomenal:

1. My father, who has no idea about these things and fearing that it might have venom that would do serious damage to a fox terrier, took a massive adult Scolopendra heros (9") away from one of our dogs and killed it. I tried to get him to understand how valuable a predator these are and that they would not do any lasting damage to our dog. She would leave the situation sadder but wiser, certainly, about the foolishess of assaulting invertebrates. I could see he thought I had just lost my mind, so I said "Dad, the next time you think about killing one of these guys, just pull $100 bill out of your pocket and light it on fire. These are valuable financially! I've never seen a wild caught S. heros in all its glory for less than $80 wholesale!" I think he gets it now. He told me where I should go to flip rocks to make sure there are no others that could fall prey too our beloved but utterly wicked killer fox terriers.

2. I won a Typhochlaena seladonia today. Let me repeat that, because that's a sentence you want to type more than once in your life: I won a Typhochlaena seladonia today. Told you I would! I haven't won a single thing since a second grade spelling bee; my boarding school recently closed, shutting down my job and throwing me out of my housing; and my health has been fairly crappy for months now. Things have not been great since the year began, and it just felt like time for the winds to change direction. I hope this is a firm indicator that they have.

Thank you so much to the good people at Palp Friction for the lovely big order of slings they recently sent me and for developing the give-away. I have asked them to hold on to my sling until it is past the delicate phase so I have some hope of actually getting a good night's sleep in the interim!

Last edited:

lvc

Arachnopeon
My B.emilia has been digging like a champ over the past couple of days and when I checked on her excavation progress today, I saw that she created a second entry to her burrow. The only thing that has me worried a little is, that the new entrance is directly beneath a plastic plant. That plant has "fake/plastic rock bottom" (sorry don´t really know how to describe it exactly) and it´s not massively heavy, but I think that in case of it becoming loose (due to further diggin) and dropping it could potentially hurt my girl. Currently thinking about removing the plant, cut of that "plasticrock bottom thingy" and add it back in. Does anybody have similar experiences of a T burrowing under some decorations?
Anyway: Added the pictures of my girl´s excavation progress. Pretty neat tunnel in my opinion :D

Attachments

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My B.emilia has been digging like a champ over the past couple of days and when I checked on her excavation progress today, I saw that she created a second entry to her burrow. The only thing that has me worried a little is, that the new entrance is directly beneath a plastic plant. That plant has "fake/plastic rock bottom" (sorry don´t really know how to describe it exactly) and it´s not massively heavy, but I think that in case of it becoming loose (due to further diggin) and dropping it could potentially hurt my girl. Currently thinking about removing the plant, cut of that "plasticrock bottom thingy" and add it back in. Does anybody have similar experiences of a T burrowing under some decorations?
Anyway: Added the pictures of my girl´s excavation progress. Pretty neat tunnel in my opinion :D
I don't think you need to worry about the plant. It would have to be a massive Rock Bottom. Keep in mind that it's Distributing the weight of itself all across the bottom of the rock base.

BTW, wonderful, wonderful series of photographs! I love watching the den develop. I can virtually hear her scuttering around in there, moving dirt up and out! Wish she were mine! Believe it or not from a woman who was just handed a free T. seladonia, but I'm jealous of your spider!

Last edited:

dmac

Arachnopeon
Got a nice look at my P. pulcher this morning before leaving for work. Such a great t.
20180420_055933.jpg
And just 'cause, took a pic of my rosie, because she's cool too.
20180420_192053.jpg

lvc

Arachnopeon
I don't think you need to worry about the plant. It would have to be a massive Rock Bottom. Keep in mind that it's Distributing the weight of itself all across the bottom of the rock base.

BTW, wonderful, wonderful series of photographs! I love watching the den develop. I can virtually hear her scuttering around in there, moving dirt up and out! Wish she were mine! Believe it or not from a woman who was just handed a free T. seladonia, but I'm jealous of your spider!
Thanks for easing my mind on the plant "problem" :D
Kept an eye out on her digging over day last 2 nights and it seems like she is done for now. Even caught her outside last night, while she was sitting on her little empire of dirt.

Free seladonia? Damn! Congrats!! :cat:
Did you win the palp friction giveaway?

Attachments

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
So I got my first taste of Psalmopoeus speed, I realized that the top of the cork bark was much too close to the top of my P. cambridgei enclosure. The lid is white and fits down into the enclosure. There was less than 1/2" space and the lid touches part of it and of course that's where the little guy decided to hang out. Talk about a recipe for disaster, an escape or injuring it.

This is only my second arboreal so getting him out so I could shorten the bark and then back in was a real adventure. I used a bin within a bin in the bathtub. Long story short, he got quite a tour of the 2 bins. I only jumped once just a little, lol. He's safely back in his enclosure and building a home again. I do have to say, for a spider only 1 1/2" he sure did make a lot of noise scuttling about in the bins, talk about the pitter patter of tiny feet.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Had a T.gigas sling die from a bad molt, it had an underground chamber so it was impossible to know what was going on. Frankly I'm surprised it made it this far as it was the "runt" of the sac that I bred last year and wasn't the best eater. Its other two siblings that I kept are doing quite well and I expect them to truck along. Of course this bare space meant I had room to buy another spider, picked up Bluetooth the Aphonopelma burica sling today.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I added a plasma globe... It livens up the room nicely and gives me something to look at/play with during long pairings..

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I wrapped some cardboard pieces in fabric so I'd have somewhere to the molts I'll be getting in the future.

boina

Lady of the mites
Today in the spider room - I saw my P. cambridgei AF out!! That's the first time in about a year...:shifty:... one of my most reclusive spiders.

Also, the first of my 5 N. incei has molted - and hooked out. I didn't bother to sex them because, well, they are small and I am lazy, so I have no clue about the sex of the others.

Then the first of my 4 C. meridionalis molted aaaannnd... you guessed it, it hooked out :shifty:. The others are younger (not from the same sac) but since this one took only about a year from hatching to MM I expect to know the sex of the others within a few months and without bothering to unwrap any molts.

That makes 5 MM to sell at the next expo (P. ornata and subfusca plus Y. diversipes and the two above).

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Got a nice look at my P. pulcher this morning before leaving for work. Such a great t.
View attachment 273174
And just 'cause, took a pic of my rosie, because she's cool too.
View attachment 273175
That's a as pretty a pulcher as I've ever seen!

Thanks for easing my mind on the plant "problem" :D
Kept an eye out on her digging over day last 2 nights and it seems like she is done for now. Even caught her outside last night, while she was sitting on her little empire of dirt.

Free seladonia? Damn! Congrats!! :cat:
Did you win the palp friction giveaway?
yep, that's just what I did! I even have the old fashioned raffle tickets to prove it! :D

I love your shelf, and I love all that colorful foliage. Where do you get it? Some of it is very realistic-looking, yet soft and lovely. Not so much with the aquarium flat plastickiness. And who is Brer Fox there on the top shelf?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I love your shelf, and I love all that colorful foliage. Where do you get it? Some of it is very realistic-looking, yet soft and lovely. Not so much with the aquarium flat plastickiness. And who is Brer Fox there on the top shelf?
Thank you! They're aquarium silk plants from Petco, they came in little bundles with a fake rock at the bottom to weigh them down. I was just going to put them in the way they came, but I ended up cutting off the bases and mixing up the colors.

The fox is magical. We went to Ross for shower curtains, and found this fox. He was just sitting on a shelf, a single golden ray of true magic among lamps and toothbrush holders. He was the only item in the house that wasn't a tool or cleaning accessory for a couple weeks.

That's where the Kettu in Kettu Keep comes from. Kettu=fox in Finnish (according to google, and I have Finnish heritage, so that's the road we went down)

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
After many days, many butchered super worms, and a lot of panic I finally managed to make my b albo eat after it's molt. Apparently it doesn't have an appetite for super worms and only wants flightless fruit flies. Also I knocked over my paraphidipus aurantius M enclosure and had a mini heart attack (he's okay just a bit shaken up). Oh yeah I forgot to mention I discovered my H Carolinensis is dead I don't know how long it was dead for because there pet holes but I'm just trying not to think about it because I loved her. rest in peace ishumaura

Downward-facing dog is a favorite around here today...I've been working with thrixopelma! ;) (Ye olde butt-waggle, don't 'cha know.)
Downward spider :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

lvc

Arachnopeon
After rehousing my new additions today, I chopped up some mealworms and left each sling a piece in case they were hungry after their journey. The A.geniculata didn´t need much encouragement to munch down on her´s :D

Just did a quick check if any of the other slings ate their mealworm pieces.
The meal I left in front of the H.pulchripes´ corkbark is gone. :hungry: YES! Eat and grow little one!
Also caught my G.pulchripes drinking :happy:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I won a Typhochlaena seladonia today. Let me repeat that, because that's a sentence you want to type more than once in your life: I won a Typhochlaena seladonia today.
Congrats on the win Dovey! That's a lucky gem. Here's hoping it's going to bring you good luck.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Not just good luck, an entire karmatic wind change! I am now officially a person who wins things, someone whom unbelievable Fortune comes to.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I haven't yet done a darned thing in the spider room today. Did finish setting up a nano tank for some wee little fish that came in the mail today ("fish room with a bed in it?") and looked after my outdoor koi since we hit 100° F. again today, but bugs are going to have to be later on the list.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
At least you've got things to do in your spider room. I've only got the one to look after so I just peek in and make sure she hasn't skedaddled somewhere and then go back to my business. :rolleyes:

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Mites... Mites are always fun am i right
God I hope not! I'm allergic too them and had no idea they could be such a common problem with T keeping. Hopefully some clean substrate and careful feeding practices can keep them at bay.