Today in the Spider Room?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Got a new T today! My A. chalcodes and G. rosea continue to do nothing, and my new B. hamorii is slowly exploring her new enclosure. Last I saw her she was tentatively grooming herself with one toe steadied on the water dish. By sheer coincidence after I got my hamorii put into the enclosure after unboxing her, my rosea moved to the front of her enclosure with her legs all stretched out, as if to say "I'm still here!" I know I know, anthropomorphising, but it just made me laugh since she hardly ever goes to the front of the enclosure.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Both of my slings were a little braver than usual. My B. albopilosum has been bulldozing while I'm there. The N. chromatus is still out of its hide.
20190403_210131-1.jpg 20190403_212140-1.jpg

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Fed everyone today some nice juicy mealworms. I wanted to try and film some of it but then realised that cut up mealworms don't make for the best takedowns when given to small slings, and opted to not film much instead. As I say that, my Stichoplastoris sp. Nicaragua literally teleports onto the mealworm as soon as it hits the floor! :eek: Now I understand why most feeding videos are juvies and adults, haha.

Two of them had sealed themselves away, however, my Kochiana brunnipes and Theraphosinae sp. Panama which the latter I had seen briefly when I went to add some decor to their home, but other than that they've been quite reclusive. I've left to leaving mealworms slightly poking into the substrate around their burrows, and both of the mealworms had spookily disappeared by the time I looked back. Everyone ate, which is nice, apart from my Pachistopelma bromelicola who arrived two days ago. Granted the mealworm piece was at a wierd angle at the base of their cork bark, so tomorrow I'll cut up a nice juicy one and lay it on top of the cork bark where I see them sitting quite often. Their abodmen looks quite small so I'd like to fatten them up as soon as I can.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Scared the crap out of my G. rosea this morning. I nudged her enclosure and she turned into an OBT for a split second, raced to the other side of the enclosure, threat posed, and then did nothing.
I have a mature male G. porteri that does this! I only do maintenance after bribing him with a couple crickets because he apparently thinks it's hilarious to come flying out of his burrow to attack my tongs and scare me into the next county.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Yesterday in the spider room my A. chalcodes decided to relive November and climb the walls. I sat there and watched her sternly for a few minutes before she got down and sulked on top of her hide for a couple hours. My B. hamorii is still not liking this whole "being uprooted from my old house and getting stuck here" thing, and my G. rosea continues to be my best behaved girl.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I had quite a few surprises this last week besides two long expected moults:

My MM G. rosea ate for the first time in half a year. Before that, he only ate twice after he matured. And only two days later I caught him drinking. :happy:
20190412_drinking.jpg

And he wasn't the only one... yesterday, I caught my juvenile female C. versicolor in the act as well:
20190413_drinking.jpg
Tried to feed her today, but she wasn't interested in that nice juicy mealworm, well, I guess she went into premoult. Fine by me. :smug:

But I didn't want to waste the mealworm... unfortunately I had no one to give it to except my H. chilensis who hasn't eaten in 3 months, supposedly in premoult... or maybe not, as it turned out:
20190413_not in premoult.jpg
She (still hoping) jumped so hard on the mealworm I almost got a heart attack. :wideyed: :rofl:
And yes, I know, she's embarrassingly fat, but she hasn't eaten anything in 3 months and she's just a bit over 1". So, no lecture, please. :p

Well, speaking of Ts supposedly being in premoult... my T. cyaneolum ate as well. I really thought she was in premoult, too. o_O

Next up was my B. albopilosum... it took her a while to decide if she wanted to eat or not, but eventually, she did... and when she turned around, I realised why she was a bit hesitant... :p
20190413_to eat or not to eat.jpg 20190413_well I bite.jpg 20190413_should be moulting.jpg
No more food for you, little lady, I'd say.

And also my MM C. ritae jumped on his roach without hesitation. I hadn't expected that in the slightest, but it made me so happy. He matured 5 months ago and with such a tiny species every meal will keep him alive longer. :happy:

Last, but not least, my adorable new B. emilia sling let me take pictures while it was munching on a piece of mealworm:
20190413_B emilia_enclosure.jpg
FYI, that pot is only 1,5" in diameter. Gosh, it's so tiny and so, so cute!:kiss:

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Freshly arrived C. darlingi has decided it wants to become arboreal. She's spent whole day and night making tons of web which would make any GBB/N. incei embarassed. And now she's just sitting comfortably in her web.
(yes, she has a lot of sub in case she wanted to burrow)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been waiting on my P chordatus female to start digging a burrow for month! I gave her a nice sub 8 inches deep, but nooo, she decides to make a large silkmat over the whole substrate area! Sometimes i dont understand them!:angelic::banghead:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Decided to redo the enclosure for my P. striata. I found a small cork tube for cheap so why not? Also, still in the middle of the rehouse since it hasn't been all that wanting to move so...no need to pester it for now. Acting like Avicularia really haha.

Thekla

Arachnoprince

Marika

Arachnoangel
My little crab spider is so grumpy, it threat poses if I move its enclosure. Cute.

And my tarantulas are still doing...nothing.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
My A. geniculata decided to come at me, give threat pose and even dared to tap. All just because I wanted to make her move in order to take the water dish out for cleaning. Of course she immediately calmed down after I threw a mealworm under her feet. Is this what people call blackmail?

s dave

Arachnopeon
Just got home from dinner at a local diner that I love and thought "hey, I'll check on the spiders! They may have done something since this morning..." I quietly open the door and turn on my red flash light and low and behold my E. murinus was out! I never see him (suspected male), I need to try and get a picture.

I easy over to the light switch and flip it hoping not to startle. Great success, he doesn't move! I easy back and setup my phone but can't lineup a good photo. I get one shot and try to get a better angle... I feel like luck is finally on my side and then one of my bouncy pit bulls sneaks into the room and puts her cold nose on my butt just above my jeans. They are not supposed to go in there and know it so this was her cautious "I still need you NOW" ploy. I crash into the desk that the spider's enclosure sits on and poof. No more spider...

I will now start the arduous wait until my next lucky moment. At least I have some kind of picture to prove to a friend that spiders are not all ugly hairy brown death machines. Some happen to be stunningly beautiful black and gold fuzzy death machines.

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I quietly open the door and turn on my red flash light and low and behold my E. murinus was out! I never see him (suspected male), I need to try and get a picture.
So does the red light actually work for you? I think I've seen some talks here with people arguing a lot and not coming to any conclusion.

s dave

Arachnopeon
So does the red light actually work for you? I think I've seen some talks here with people arguing a lot and not coming to any conclusion.
I feel like it does but I have no real scientific evidence for it. I think part of the reason it works for me is how I use it and not just that I use it. I always aim it at the floor and slowly raise it to use just the edge of the light at first... I think the combination of light intensity and wavelength makes a difference. Personally I like it, but I know other people will disagree.

I will say that my E. murinus and Y. diversipes both bolt when I use my phone light, neither bolt when I use my red light. They freeze but never bolt. None of my other spiders run from light but they tend to freeze less with the red light. I know it's anecdotal evidence at best, but it works for me.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Me: She hasn't eaten in a while so maybe she's hungry.
*offers food*
Avic: How dare you offer me food?
*threat poses*

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I managed to find a pic from my last post that's 'only' 98% awful. Flash was being frustrating yesterday.
20190420_213009-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Went to refill Kate's (A. chalcodes) water dish and she attacked the stream of water...twice. I poured water all over her on accident and she went limp upon impact of the water. Well OK not limp but she slanted to one side. An hour later she was basically dunked in the dish.

Barry67

Arachnopeon
re-housed my Brachypelma Albiceps into a more suitable home based on advice here.

20190423_185816.jpg

Last edited: