Today in the Spider Room?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Looks like FedEx screwed up with my package and it won’t be here till tomorrow. I know that it’s not the sellers fault so no blame to them, but I’m frustrated as this is the first time I ordered tarantulas when it’s this cold out (was told that temps aren’t a problem though) so hopefully they arrive tomorrow without a problem..

Let my teen nephew feed some of my spiders today. Thought it would get him interested in tarantulas, thought I’d be a good uncle, thought it would be a learning experience, well I thought wrong. He fed my sp. ‘cascada’ and one of my antinous a pretty large meal (superworms) when they’re only 3” or so. I was in the bathroom and I came back to them eating their prey, neither of them hurt, so I’m not freaking out anymore. Needless to say I’m not letting him feed them again.

Anybody want to take a guess on which two of spiders are going to be going on a pretty long diet after today?

5ED9708A-F75C-4D4D-869E-9F6066C0822B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Anybody want to take a guess on which two of spiders are going to be going on a pretty long diet after today?
One of your Phormics right? :troll:

In other news, finally got to see my N. incei last night after a while. It finally decided to grace the surface with it’s presence.

Ebayzo

Arachnopeon
That would be so cool, thank you :D!
Don't hold your breath :') Completely f*cked it with sealing it up and making some vent holes. It's a mess and i dumped them :D But still i think it's a good option and pretty simple to do, only gotta have more patience :(

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Don't hold your breath :') Completely f*cked it with sealing it up and making some vent holes. It's a mess and i dumped them :D But still i think it's a good option and pretty simple to do, only gotta have more patience :(
That kind of stuff happens to me too. Thanks for telling me about though :). That tip on thin CD cases should really help I think!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
After several weeks of being butt threatened by my 1.5" T. ockerti it finally flicked hairs at me, all because I tried to change out its poopy water dish. No appreciation at all, lol.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just tongfed my B.albopilosum sling for the first time and it took down a half-inch red runner like it was nobody's business. Wasn't expecting it either since it's so shy otherwise diving back down into the burrow as soon as it's aware of me:)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Discovered why i havent seen my adult 0.1 Phormingochilus rufus in about a month or so...

She was so happy to see me 20181123_204715.jpg 20181123_204906.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
My P. ecclesiasticus seems to be sitting on a dud eggsac - and she's only about 4" at most. What the heck? I didn't think she was mature yet, especially since she had meen molting every few months up to this, so when she barricaded herself in I was expecting a molt, not an egg sac. Now what? I can't get it out without ripping the whole enclosure apart. Hopefully she'll eat it soon.

Other than that I finally got a look at my juvenile P. antinous and she's bigger than I thought. Now, do I rehouse now when I'm pretty sure she's in premolt or do I wait til after the molt? Questions, questions.

And I bought 3 P. pulcher slings recently and that turned out rather badly... One died just days after I bought them, very likely because the vial I got it in was too wet. And when I rehoused the other two yesterday and transfered the labels I realized that one of the surviving two is actually a P. reduncus... The seller had two tubs, one full of P. pulcher and one full of P. reduncus slings and obviously some got mixed up and I bought a wrong species... I already have a wonderful female P. reduncus and I don't really need another one, but I really wanted a female P. pulcher :meh:. Now I have only one sling left with a 50-50 chance at best of it being female. I need to go to the next expo and try to get more... :penguin:.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My P. ecclesiasticus seems to be sitting on a dud eggsac - and she's only about 4" at most. What the heck? I didn't think she was mature yet, especially since she had meen molting every few months up to this, so when she barricaded herself in I was expecting a molt, not an egg sac. Now what? I can't get it out without ripping the whole enclosure apart. Hopefully she'll eat it soon.

Other than that I finally got a look at my juvenile P. antinous and she's bigger than I thought. Now, do I rehouse now when I'm pretty sure she's in premolt or do I wait til after the molt? Questions, questions.

And I bought 3 P. pulcher slings recently and that turned out rather badly... One died just days after I bought them, very likely because the vial I got it in was too wet. And when I rehoused the other two yesterday and transfered the labels I realized that one of the surviving two is actually a P. reduncus... The seller had two tubs, one full of P. pulcher and one full of P. reduncus slings and obviously some got mixed up and I bought a wrong species... I already have a wonderful female P. reduncus and I don't really need another one, but I really wanted a female P. pulcher :meh:. Now I have only one sling left with a 50-50 chance at best of it being female. I need to go to the next expo and try to get more... :penguin:.
Ecclesiasticus mature and become breedable incredibly small compared to most Psalmopoeus.. i mean, they ARE Aviculariianae afterall.

My female was around 4+" and dropped 2 viable sacks last cycle, and after her recent molt shes produced for me again 1x so far.

I still have a loaner male i could probably get out hint hint

*oops just realized youre in germany

Last edited:

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I’m a couple of weeks into having my first T & today when I fed him, this is the first time I saw him “web up” the crickets! I thought he was doing this to save them for later (do they do that?),but a few moments later he went back & he appears to be finishing them up!

First time I’ve even seen this! And the other day, I saw him lay flat on the hide for the first time. I thought something was wrong until I researched on here & saw that it was normal, lol

They are so interesting, lol

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Just tongfed my B.albopilosum sling for the first time and it took down a half-inch red runner like it was nobody's business. Wasn't expecting it either since it's so shy otherwise diving back down into the burrow as soon as it's aware of me:)
Tong feeding isn't recommended, as it can damage or break your spider's fang or fangs. Just drop the prey item in front of your tarantula and let it do its thing. They're quite amazing to watch eat.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tong feeding isn't recommended, as it can damage or break your spider's fang or fangs. Just drop the prey item in front of your tarantula and let it do its thing. They're quite amazing to watch eat.
So far so good so I'll probably take the safe way going forward. Not worth the risk of losing a fang.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
nothing happened yet but i am planning on recording a rehouse of my B albo my H arizonensis and maybe my A avic with some feedings thrown in here ill post it somewhere on the forums

Last edited:

Marika

Arachnoangel
My G. pulchra likes to eat standing over her waterdish and I've also seen my G. rosea sling doing it a couple of times.

Maybe she wanted soup?
DSC05619 – kopio.JPG

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
rehouseing this angry guy again 20181127_071810.jpg
gonna record and post it on here again cuz i had alot of fun when i did it yesterday

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This happened last night! :D I can't wait to get in there and see how many slings there are!

1543336027649.jpg

Minty

@londontarantulas
MM Poecilotheria miranda died.
Newly acquired Chilobrachys sp. electric blue got stuck in a moult and died.
Poecilotheria subfusca died.

All in the past couple of weeks. Blahhhhhhhhhhh.