Today in the Spider Room?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Just housed my 2 new arrivals , 1 inch H. villosella and 3.5 inch P. irminia. I can't believe how beautiful the P. irminia is, I mean just wow! No pics because she is pretty stressed after her journey so I'm not going to bother her. I wrapped a piece of black paper around the corner where her cork bark is angled to give her some darkness until she gets her curtains put up. I have a feeling I should take a picture fairly soon though because I'll probably never see her again except for some toes once she gets her home built :rolleyes: Now off to feed the rest of the "kids". I think Mr. Bitey is giving me dirty looks,lol.

Malo

Arachnopeon
Fed my new tiny A.geniculata sling this morning after leaving him overnight to settle. The first attack it missed the pinhead cricket but managed to grab it on the 2nd attempt :) Go little guy!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Someone is a grumpy girl today.

"Shadow", P. irminia, I went to change her water since she dumped substrate in it and she came flying out and gave a threat posture, she also tried to bite me through the acrylic....I think I'll wait on that water change :rofl: She has lots of cover towards the back of the enclosure but evidently she is monitoring the door.
Shadow june 2018.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
My G. rosea is on her back!!! Yay!!! She's been in premolt since October...

Edit: just came home and she's got a new dress - pretty in pink :)

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My Psalmopoeus cambridgei suddenly decided to build a huge addition. She used to retreat into the small juvenile log I put in the back, but she is getting a little big for that. So now she has built dirt curtains and a dirt roof around the log.

I guess she thought she was building waterfront property, but it's not going to stay that way, because I can't remove and clean the dish anymore without destroying her webbing.

This week I also got three new slings (two Avicularia avicularia and one Augacephalus ezendami from @cold blood), and my Bumba cabocla sling molted.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was just dripping some water into my slings' containers through holes in the lids. The 3/4" Phormictopus predictably attacked the water and the dropper. When I pulled the dropper out of the hole, her front leg came off with it! (She is actually missing two legs on that side; one was already missing on the day I got her.) The leg that came off continued to twitch for about three minutes. :eek:

It was an accident, and I know this missing leg will regenerate, but I still feel bad about it.

boina

Lady of the mites
Everybody molts. I had 5 molts of adult/subadult Ts in the last 3 days. In the process I got two more mature males that I won't be able to find dates for (one N. carapoensis and one B. albiceps - the market is flooded with males from the same sacs mine are from. People are selling males of those species in BULK at the moment!).

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Temps here are also helping with the molting... everyone is popping one off. Love it ;)

Also found I got some gnats in one of my Phormictopus sling enclosures. Irritating little buggers... the little T doesn't really mind it seems.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
My P. cancerides got himself stuck ( in a sense) on the lid of his enclosure, there's just a few holes in the middle of the top part that doesn't open and he was holding on to those holes upside down for quite some time, he looked tired to me,lol. The plastic is fairly slick and I don't think he could figure out how to get down, he was right above the edge of his hide and he has a pretty fat butt , if he fell it wouldn't have been far, but I was concerned about him falling on that edge. Turns out I was right, poor guy was tired....I opened the door and slid a deli cup at an angle underneath him and he immediately used the edge of the cup to calmly get down to his hide. Looks like I'm going to have to do some rearranging in his enclosure, since he's been climbing a lot lately.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Sorted out another group of Hapalopus sp Colombia lg slings. All have fed on fruit flies and going out to the wholesalers this next week. Setting up more portion cups for Avic avic sac i am opening in five days or so. Gotta split another colony of dubia roaches can never have enough of them for sure. After feeding more T's i will sort more started colonies of dwarf isopods. Non T related but in same room had more ackies hatch this morning. That is it for today hopefully I can get some fishing in later.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Saw my Homoeomma sp. fire sling eating. I was pretty sure it had eaten a couple of times already, but it was nice to actually see it. (I've had the sling for 2 weeks now.)

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Steatoda sp. sac hatched (only a few have emerged)
Syctodes sp. sac hatched (estimate about 3 dozen so far)
Waiting on L. hesperus and G. kochi sacs to hatch

dmac

Arachnopeon
Was out of town camping the last four days and got back in this evening to find this:
20180707_231723.jpg

Malo

Arachnopeon
My B.vagans sling put up the dirt curtains today. Which is good as apparently I've been feeding it too many crickets lately. He has a really big butt.

Marika

Arachnoangel
My tiny sling was drinking from its water dish. Awww, how cute :happy:

Last edited:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
MOLTS AND ANTS!

Today in the spider room, I registered 10 out of 22 mixed slings and juvies have shed since this time last week. High summer!

Also, though, I noticed Ferkytoodle, my S. Heros (not a spider, but one of my babies all the same, bless his many little legs!) was clinging to the screen lid of his enclosure in a peculiar method. He's very settled into his habitat, so I was surprised to see him hanging from the roof. When I investigated, he had been invaded by fire ants that have been climbing into the house looking for food and water. Big centipedes are very messy eaters, and he apparently had left some juicy bits lying around for our little ant friends to scarf up. They invaded my mother in her bed last night too, when she left a few crumbs lying around after a midnight snack!

I swear if it doesn't rain soon, I'm packing up and moving to the northwest! Phoenix got its first big whacking storm of the monsoon yesterday, but it was like it split and went to the east and west of us as it rolled down from the mountains. Still no significant rain. The animals here are in their last desperate attempts at survival since we've had no rain to speak of since before the beginning of the year. Keep your fingers crossed for us or say a little prayer. Ferc has been moved into an emergency ant free space, but I need these creatures to move outside where they belong. Fire ant bites are vicious, and I could lose a lot of animals if they got serious about assaulting them.

Lol, I tried to get the dish out without dumping sub all over it's webbing or getting an angry OBT in my face...the spider stayed hidden but there was just too much sub in the dish and a good part of the webbing got covered. Little guy probably isn't too happy with me, but it did get a nice fat roach for compensation.
Some people consider it a badge of honor to count the number of buried water bowls in the habitat when they rehouse!

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel

L. nigerrimum arboricola decided to hunker down in the worst place after a recent rehouse. In the process of trying to get her to move, she posed up against the glass, and the light from my phone flashlight illuminated her scopulae nicely.