Toad Terrarium

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
It’s a simple set-up in a 20-gallon tank, no live plants, a mix of coconut fiber and peat moss with some sphagnum moss and leaf litter on top. I’m happy with it and my Gulf Coast toads seem to like it too. :)

36E90328-15C5-4D38-A540-8D67B6FD73DB.jpeg
F283B6E7-3F97-4087-BF28-B1B301C93B06.jpeg
F7E795D9-034A-4AEE-9046-FEF03A42146F.jpeg

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These make great terr animals imo. There are so many of them around here, I think people just don't think about it. I kept some and they would jump at me when I walked by because they learned when that "thing" showed up, so did food, somehow.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
These make great terr animals imo. There are so many of them around here, I think people just don't think about it. I kept some and they would jump at me when I walked by because they learned when that "thing" showed up, so did food, somehow.
I agree! :happy: These toads adapt well to terrarium life and quickly lose fear of humans, associating us instead with food, hehe! ;) They have a pleasant trill call too.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Can't see the Toads anywhere.
They come out more in the evening, but you can see one of them in the third picture. :)

Here’s two of them as they were exploring their new enclosure (not mating, lol, despite what it may look like!):
I’ve had those two the longest and they seem to enjoy hanging out together. :)

One of the younger toads watching from their old enclosure as I tended millipedes. :happy:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They come out more in the evening, but you can see one of them in the third picture. :)

Here’s two of them as they were exploring their new enclosure (not mating, lol, despite what it may look like!):

One of the younger toads watching from their old enclosure as I tended millipedes. :happy:
Nice looking specimens. How many do you have toadal?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

How many live in the 20 gallon?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Nice looking specimens. How many do you have toadal?
Four, at least three of which are male, but that thankfully isn’t a problem, unlike with dart frogs for instance. I found a full-grown female only once and she was so much larger that I mistook her for a different species and released her. :embarrassed: Ah well, they get along just fine and are so plentiful that it is not like there is any need to breed them (but it would be fun :playful: ).

They are, in my opinion, one of the most attractive North American toads, with nice coloring and head ridges and lovely golden eyes. :happy:

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How many live in the 20 gallon?
I had two and then three males in a ten gallon for a while, plenty of hides, although they often chose to hang out together anyway. Four felt crowded to me and I needed to change out the substrate anyway so I upgraded them to the twenty gallon. :)

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Do you run any sort of a clean-up crew or is maintenance pretty simple/they would eat everything anyway?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
These are really great looking toads!
Thank you! :happy:

Do you run any sort of a clean-up crew or is maintenance pretty simple/they would eat everything anyway?
Sorry for the long-delayed reply! :embarrassed:
I did add springtails and several species of isopods when I set up the tank and I periodically add more of the latter as my colonies are quite prolific. I believe the toads’ terrarium is generally too dry for the springtails, however, and the toads eat any isopod they see! I am hoping that some of the smaller ones have survived to colonize the terrarium!