1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toad Terrarium

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by ErinM31, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

It’s a simple set-up in a 20-gallon tank, no live plants, a mix of coconut fiber and peat moss with some sphagnum moss and leaf litter on top. I’m happy with it and my Gulf Coast toads seem to like it too. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnosquire

Simple, but natural looking, I like it;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

Thank you! :D
  4. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

These make great terr animals imo. There are so many of them around here, I think people just don't think about it. I kept some and they would jump at me when I walked by because they learned when that "thing" showed up, so did food, somehow.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

I agree! :happy: These toads adapt well to terrarium life and quickly lose fear of humans, associating us instead with food, hehe! ;) They have a pleasant trill call too.
  6. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Can't see the Toads anywhere.
  7. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

They come out more in the evening, but you can see one of them in the third picture. :)

Here’s two of them as they were exploring their new enclosure (not mating, lol, despite what it may look like!):
    I’ve had those two the longest and they seem to enjoy hanging out together. :)

One of the younger toads watching from their old enclosure as I tended millipedes. :joyful:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. darkness975

Nice looking specimens. How many do you have toadal?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. darkness975

How many live in the 20 gallon?
  10. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

Four, at least three of which are male, but that thankfully isn’t a problem, unlike with dart frogs for instance. I found a full-grown female only once and she was so much larger that I mistook her for a different species and released her. :oops: Ah well, they get along just fine and are so plentiful that it is not like there is any need to breed them (but it would be fun :playful: ).

They are, in my opinion, one of the most attractive North American toads, with nice coloring and head ridges and lovely golden eyes. :happy:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

I had two and then three males in a ten gallon for a while, plenty of hides, although they often chose to hang out together anyway. Four felt crowded to me and I needed to change out the substrate anyway so I upgraded them to the twenty gallon. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

More photos of my toads in their new terrarium :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

14. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

15. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnoknight Active Member

Do you run any sort of a clean-up crew or is maintenance pretty simple/they would eat everything anyway?
  16. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel

Thank you! :happy:

Sorry for the long-delayed reply! :oops:
    I did add springtails and several species of isopods when I set up the tank and I periodically add more of the latter as my colonies are quite prolific. I believe the toads’ terrarium is generally too dry for the springtails, however, and the toads eat any isopod they see! I am hoping that some of the smaller ones have survived to colonize the terrarium!
    • Like Like x 1