To use whole cork tube or not?

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Any issue with using a whole cork tube vs using a cork flat?

Either for Avic. Avic. Or D. Diamantinensis

53630601-C4BC-469F-ABE9-2452C45A1A8F.jpeg
EE10744D-B739-49A4-BD55-084237BE9757.jpeg

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No issue at all, although I prefer them cut in half so I can monitor from the outside.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
For the A. avic; I would add more plants on the top. I do not see what is wrong with using the whole tube. Also, D. diamantinensis is terrestrial though they appreciate more space to web.
I agree with some more plants up top. As far as D. Diamantinensis being terrestrial, most keepers say they love to web up and are “arboreal-ish” instead of solely terrestrial.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I give established adult arboreals cork tubes for hides. It makes them feel more secure and makes cage maintenance easier. I'll use slabs with slings and juvies so I can see them to better monitor their health and judge things like rate of feeding and premolt.

Thanks,
--Matt

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I have tubes in both my C. versicolor sling's container as well as my AF P. metallica. They love them! It's so cool to see them sitting inside, or sometimes putting a foot out. And I've got to get a video of this, my C. versi sling actually hunts crickets inside the tube! It's so cool to watch! The tube for my pokie is obviously bigger than the tube for my versi. I glued the one in the versi's cage down so it wouldn't wobble. They really feel at home in them! Definitely great for arboureals.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I give established adult arboreals cork tubes for hides. It makes them feel more secure and makes cage maintenance easier. I'll use slabs with slings and juvies so I can see them to better monitor their health and judge things like rate of feeding and premolt.

Thanks,
--Matt
That was my only “concern” was being able to monitor them. I think I will be able to work around it. Seems more positive than anything. Had never done it with spiders before, so thought I’d ask!

Thanks for the replies all!!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
That was my only “concern” was being able to monitor them. I think I will be able to work around it. Seems more positive than anything. Had never done it with spiders before, so thought I’d ask!

Thanks for the replies all!!
It boils down to personal preference really. As long as you can still catch the T outside to check up on it, their is no issue. IMO, tubes are far superior over flats. You can even use them as a locking hide box, similar to how hot herp keepers use them. If you can place an appropriately sized piece of Tupperware over the entrance, and make sure they haven't burrowed out the other end, cage maintenance becomes a breeze.

Thanks,
--Matt

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I prefer tubes of many reasons, firstly they provide exellent hides, types of hides some speicies seems to prefer!? And 2 if you have a fast venomous speicies and you want to transfer it to another cage, just take out the whole tube and tarantula stays in the tube! I have found it pretty bulletproof!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No issue. I prefer cork slabs or tubes cut in half so I can monitor them. Also, with cork tubes they will molt inside. I've had enough Ts. I don't trust them to know the diameter of a tube is too small for molting. I KNOW that sounds absolutely crazy too. I've had a couple NW arboreals that would molt in tight corners and come out missing legs.