To rehouse or not to rehouse..

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I'm a pretty new keeper and need an opinion. This is Nevermore, a G.Pulchra. When I got "him", he was bigger than expected, (visually, has to be close to 2" DLS). I have him in an enclosure that's 4x4x4 and with plenty of substrate. At first I thought it was fine, buut this little bugger does not hang out in his hole often and is always out climbing on the sides. I love the idea that he's always out, buuut I'm concerned about him bolting when I open the enclosure to change water and feed. Should I rehouse into something bigger? I've only had him about 2 weeks so worried that he'll be stressed with a rehouse. Opinions?

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can't see the entire enclosure, but I think you're good for one or two moults :)
Congrats on the new addition and welcome to the boards!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My guess is that the enclosure is to big for that spider, and that is the reason it is climbing cannt see the whole tank, but my first impression is that it is to large? To large enclosures for small juvenile tend to have that effect in my expetience Upload a pic on the entire enclosure

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
My guess is that the enclosure is to big for that spider, and that is the reason it is climbing cannt see the whole tank, but my first impression is that it is to large? To large enclosures for small juvenile tend to have that effect in my expetience Upload a pic on the entire enclosure
It's definitely not too big. He's about 2" DLS and the enclosure is 4x4x4

Attachments

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
Can't see the entire enclosure, but I think you're good for one or two moults :)
Congrats on the new addition and welcome to the boards!
Thank you! I already had one g.pulchra sling and he just hangs out in the dirt for the most part, then I got two more. One is in the dirt (in premolt) and then there's this one, bigger than the other two and is always out. I'm just concerned about bolting when I open it because the last time I did I had to open it one side at a time to change the water and he was right up at the top of it waiting to walk out lol...he has room if he goes in his hole..but most often does not lol thats why I'm wondering if he needs a little more room.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! I already had one g.pulchra sling and he just hangs out in the dirt for the most part, then I got two more. One is in the dirt (in premolt) and then there's this one, bigger than the other two and is always out. I'm just concerned about bolting when I open it because the last time I did I had to open it one side at a time to change the water and he was right up at the top of it waiting to walk out lol...he has room if he goes in his hole..but most often does not lol thats why I'm wondering if he needs a little more room.
If you need more space to do maintenance, by all means rehouse into a comfortable enclosure for you. I have my Poecilotheria in enclosures that are basically too large, but that gives me enough room to work in and them more room to be spastic. :p

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I didn't think it was a bad enclosure -- esp given you're new to T keeping. Always happy to see a water bowl and some ventilation!
Handsome little fellow (or gal).
Welcome to AB and the hobby! :)

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
If you need more space to do maintenance, by all means rehouse into a comfortable enclosure for you. I have my Poecilotheria in enclosures that are basically too large, but that gives me enough room to work in and them more room to be spastic. :p
Haha ok cool! He hangs out on the sides so often it just makes me nervous about bolting haha but i figure if he's comfortable being out in the open a little extra room probably wouldn't hurt. Glad to see someone else houses in containers a bit bigger for maintenance purposes lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gee, thanks. That's helpful.
Listen, YOU asked a question (no one forced you to post) that required a direct, single world answer to help you.

So, I took the time to help you, and answered your BASIC question.

What is your PROBLEM with my answer? You asked a YES/NO question! Next time learn how to form your questions better, and you'll get a more detailed answer.

The temerity you have is mind boggling.

Next time I c/p 10,000 words for you to sift through and save the answer to the end to waste your time, instead of saving you time with ONE word!!!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Honestly I think if you added a hide that was a bit more structural, your T may be more inclined to relax and not wander as much, the egg carton is light and would move around, not offering much security for your little dude, something a bit more solid may do the trick. At the end of the day it's your pet and you use whatever enclosure you want.
Good luck with the new additions;)

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
Honestly I think if you added a hide that was a bit more structural, your T may be more inclined to relax and not wander as much, the egg carton is light and would move around, not offering much security for your little dude, something a bit more solid may do the trick. At the end of the day it's your pet and you use whatever enclosure you want.
Good luck with the new additions;)
Thanks! I actually did rehouse and changed the hide. Even changing the water was a chore in that enclosure and it was awful, he was just curious enough lol. The other two I have love those hides but I changed them out anyway for plastic and it's working out :)