1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To mist or not to mist?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by webspinner, Nov 26, 2003.

1. webspinner

webspinner Arachnoknight Old Timer

Advertisement
    I have been reading a lot about people misting there T's enclosure's. Well what is it "Mist or not to mist"?:?

2. abstract

abstract Arachnodemon Old Timer

Very subjective question.

One school is:
    "Why not, it helps raise humidity, especially if the vetilation is retarded via the use of saran wrap etc...."

Another is:
    "Why waste your time, moisture on the sides will evaporate momentarily, and spiders humidity requirements aren't as high as people think they are; adequate humidity can be provided by wetting the substrate/overfilling the water bowl"

No good answer - as long as a waterdish is provided, i'm sure you'll probably be okay either way. =D

3. Guido

Guido Arachnoknight Old Timer

i dont mist,( just my slings, about once a week) but i use a full dish of water

4. Buspirone

Buspirone Arachnoprince Old Timer

I only mist sling vials and small containers where I don't have waterdishes in place yet. IME, misting large enclosures increases the occurrence and severity of pest problems. Its really a personal preference except with a small minority of tarantula species that are truely humidity dependent.

5. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

I mist my arborial cages, not to raise humidity, but for the spiders to drink. My cages are exremly ventilated, so I don't have to worry about mold or mites.

For my terrestrials, I just overflow the water dish.

I occaisionally add a few drops of water to my s'ling vials.

Jon

6. vulpina

vulpina Arachnoprince Old Timer

Keep the water dish full and mist arboreals for them to drink.

Andy

7. da_illest

da_illest Arachnoprince

i do the same