to maintain an 80-85 temp.........

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
should i put a heat lamp above the tank, or just place it in a warm spot? should i add rocks and gravel to the sand? what type of gravel if used? this is for a chinese golden scorpion.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
M. martensii prefer very dry climates. The recommend is for a low wattage light overhead on one side. Some rocks can be a deco addition if chosen, but I wouldn't recommend a lot of gravel, etc., to cloud up the encl. Need anymore? send a pm and I'll send you a caresheet.

adios,
edw.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Gaban recommends higher humidity shelters for these guys in an otherwise low humidity enclosure.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do keep in mind, your location will make closer determinations on keeping methods that will work the best for you, so you'll have to do the majority of the caresheet interpretations for yourself on temp, humidity, etc. Caresheets are simply an overall estimate which has proven to be the best for the person/s who wrote it.

adios,
edw.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
M.martensii have been found living in the desert and other climate regions of China and Mongolia as well as in Korea and Singapore. They have also been found under wet rocks on the coast at the intertidal flow regions.

On that note; they can obviously adjust to a wide range of humidity conditions...it is also possible that they adapt well to the local conditions...similar to how C.vittatus adapts to various the conditions in North America where it is found.

I kept my M.martensii on the paver base which I buy at Home Depot. The paver base is a mixture if sand, gravel and clay. It holds together rather well for burrowin species though M.martensii are not big burrowers. THe most ine ever did was to make a half-hearted attempt at burrowing. They utilized hides nearly 100% of the time. I kept these guys in temps of 75-85 and gave them a water dish with pebbles in it which I added water to once a week and let it overflow a little. I also gave them a more moist hide and dry hides.

Under these conditions I had two females give birth of which one I didn't realize at first and most of the babies were subsequently munched by the 3 other adults. The 2nd female I removed from the 5 gallon communal tank an put it in a deli cup whin I then place back in the communal tak as the condition were obviously good.

These are very active scorps once the lights go out in the evening. When I had my inverts in my bedroom I would hear these guys running arounf for over two hours at times. Cool little buthid scorpions. On that note you need to realize that because these scorps are small buthids they had short lifespans. The ragnge is somewhere in the 2-4 years period from birth to death. So take that into consideration when purchasing adults of this species.

John
];')

Last edited: