To feed or not to feed (baby premolt)

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Been a while, but I had a question concerning my baby emperors. One of them appears really swollen (ready to molt). It is only 3 months old and I know that complicated molts can result in death. It goes without saying that I want to avoid this.

Today is feeding day, and I'm wondering, if I should throw a baby cricket in for this one (pics included). Also, are there any tips to make sure the molt goes as smoothly as possible? I've read so many posts about the scorpion getting the molt stuck on its tail and not making it so I'm really nervous. I'm concerned about feeding because I don't want the cricket to hurt my baby if it's not up to eating. Can baby crickets hurt them if their not eaten?

Anyway, pics!
You should be able to zoom in for details.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can try feeding it today and if the cricket is still alive tonight/tomorrow remove it. Otherwise missing a feeding won't be the end of the world since it's already well fed. Crickets will definitely feed on a scorp if it's molting or freshly molted.

I'd recommend taking out the cotton ball(?) since that's just going to cause a bacteria/mold/mite problem in the end, which could be really bad for the scorp.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Been a while, but I had a question concerning my baby emperors. One of them appears really swollen (ready to molt). It is only 3 months old and I know that complicated molts can result in death. It goes without saying that I want to avoid this.

Today is feeding day, and I'm wondering, if I should throw a baby cricket in for this one (pics included). Also, are there any tips to make sure the molt goes as smoothly as possible? I've read so many posts about the scorpion getting the molt stuck on its tail and not making it so I'm really nervous. I'm concerned about feeding because I don't want the cricket to hurt my baby if it's not up to eating. Can baby crickets hurt them if their not eaten?

Anyway, pics!
You should be able to zoom in for details.

It looks sopping in there. They like it humid but they don't like a swamp.

Regarding feeding; you can attempt to feed it. If it does not eat remove the prey item. You can also try pre-killed.

Are you certain it is a true Pandinus imperator ?

Kjoygray

Arachnopeon
That is a fat little scorpion, I don't think it would hurt to skip feeding it entirely this time around.

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Wow. Didn't realize my thread had gotten responses.

I've removed the cotton ball. They have a small water bottle cap for a source of water. The picture was taken after giving new substrate so it's pretty moist.

Since then, I discovered a molt! I was so excited. This is my first scorpion molt. (Pic added)

I guess I can't say 100% that they are P. Imperator. The story goes, a friend of mine bought an "emperor scorpion" from a pet store. One day he checked on it, and there were white babies all over it. The birth was a surprise and he offered me some.

Is there a way to tell when they are this small to be sure?

Attachments

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Is there a way to tell when they are this small to be sure?
Any Pandinus spp. and Heterometrus spp. can look quite similar at early instars, so its hard to tell until you are able to compare granulation patterns. :alien Once they mature a bit more it will be much easier tell which one you have.

Mila

Arachnoknight
how much did your friend pay? anything under like $40-80 and its hetermetrus not an imp