Tips reg. A. Geniculata?

Morr

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I'm getting an Aconthoscurria Geniculata on wednesday, so I thought I'd ask you all for some tips. It will be a subadult (hopefully, and probably) female, so I don't know, maybe around 4-6" large. I have an aquarium, which I used earlier for some hermit crabs, that I plan to house her in. It's 50x20x30cm, with a liftable lid on top. It doesnt have any ventilation holes on the sides, but the lid leaves a gap of perhaps 3-4mm between it and the tank itself, on two sides, together with a triangular hole thats about 3x1.5 cm (bottom, height). All in all, i think this is ventilation enough, but of course, I am not certain. Also, I have a 20x20 heatpad, and I bought a ~12" tong, together with a waterbowl, and a hidingplace.
Now, I took care of my brothers avic during half a year, ending about a month ago, so I have basic knowledge about keepin Ts. After much consideration, not to say experience of a species which seems to be constantly really fascinated by the inside of its net, I have decided that a big, beautiful, voracious, while being as docile as possible though its not THAT important, spider, is what I want... so, well, now its almost certain that I'll be getting this genic on wednesday :)

So.. how high a humidity will the spider prefer? I've read 60-70%, as well as 75-80%, so I'm not too sure. Besides keeping the waterbowl full, how often will I have to mist the tank?
I should perhap mention that I'll use a mixture of vermiculite and peat moss as substrate, perhaps 10cm deep.. or, do you think the spider would prefer even more substrate?
Ive read quite a bit about genics, and gotten the impression that they'll, well, pounce on even the slightes source of vibration. For example, someone somewhere wrote that his specimen attacked the waterbowl, when he filled it up. So.. and this I have though about quiite a bit... how shall I go about picking the waterbowl up, when I need to clean it? Wear really rough gloves and hope for the best? Shoo the spider into hiding?

Can genics climb glass, and if so, do they often? And, how fast are they? Is it possible that it'll zip up the side and then into freedom, as soon as I open the lid?
How often should I feed it? Twice a week, each time as many crickets or whatever it can gulp down?

Too long, really too long this message turned out, but I really would like to hear your thoughts about this. Also, any tips you have, whatsoever, I really welcome.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Ahem, lol :eek:

Last edited:

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can't tell you much about humidity w/ this species.... i just keep it's water bowl full, i'd say it's humidity is about 65%.... she does fine.

they will pounch any vibration... be prepared to feed it LOTS. mine has the fastest metabolism ever.....

i don't use heating w/ any of my Ts.... it's near my bearded tanks, so it stays around 80F, but i would be afraid a heat pad would fry my Ts.... make sure it doesn't get too hot in there... use a thermometer on the ground first.

probably don't need too much substrate to burrow, but i would keep it with in a short reach of the top in case yours does climb... don't want it too fall and get hurt.

good luck w/ your tarantula... they are an incredible species... on of my favorite Ts!

by the way....

I bought a ~12" thong
that was a funny typo!

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i'm with devildoll on the "keeping the waterbowl full" bit. and like devildoll, i don't use heating pads, either. room temp seems to be okay for her.

my a. geni is a climber, especially when i change her substrate. also, she's started sticking her fangs through the mesh lid--possibly in hopes of getting out or something. if you were to get a mesh lid, get the kind that is soddered together (is that the right term?) as opposed to the wire mesh that is "woven" together (like a window screen).

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hah, 'thongs' are 'flip-flops' (those sandals , you know what I'm talking about) in oz.

On the doors of some restaurants;
'No thongs or shorts'

Anyway, don't let me hijack this thread, and don't let my magic 'thread-killing' abilites take you all.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep my juv. male genic. at room temp. which is 75-80 during the day and 68-75 at night. My genic does not burrow, and only hides in its shelter when molting.

it is impossible to do anything inside of its cage without being attacked, even if i get the water bowl into its cage without an altercation, it will pounce on the water dish and flip it over a bunch of times until it thinks the water bowl is "dead", so i have resorted to just misting it. I keep the vermiculite moist, and since it is in a "critter-keeper" it gets plenty of circulation.

he eats a ton, has grown from 1/4" to 4+" in less than a year, and is by far my most entertaining T. but that just might be this individual genic. that acts this way.

Morr

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Thank you everone for your help, i really appreciate it :)

I will start off with not using the heatpad, and see how she feels about that - if she seems bothered, I'll try the heat pad a few hours a night or something.

And wow, i really look forward to seeing this species for real now, after having read all these truly fascinating descriptions of its behaviour. It really pounces on EVERYTHING? wow.. I'm gonna use a rather heavy cheramic ( i think ) water bowl, that it wont be able to ( i hope! ) knock over... but, it will come running if I try to pick that bowl up for cleaning? Hmmm :) How the.. how.. lol, it will be interesting indeed to try that :)

Misting every now and then, perhaps, will be what i'll do, if the spider seems to need it. And, lol, it seems I will have to start consider roaches or something, cause this thing will eat how many crickets a week? 10? 15, 20?

Anyway, wow, I can't wait until I get it! I'll try and get some pics, too.

dont get tooo excited dude lol
Hmm? So I take it your tip would be to stay ignorant, and hope for the best?

/Morr