tips for avoiding mites?

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen a few threads about how to deal with mite infestations, and unfortunately will now have to read them more closely...

Trying to figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong to get them in the first place. About a week ago I started noticing some mites and springtails in a 20L (three Emperors) and two 10s (a Vietnamese pede and a Puerto Rican pede). Haven't seen the mites on the scorps or pedes yet, but have seen a few in the substrate. Only had these habitats for a few weeks now. I assume I don't have the ideal substrate, or I'm keeping them too moist. I live in the Arizona desert where the ambient humidity is usually around 10%, so it takes some doing to get the humidity up. I have a 1" layer of gravel on the bottom then about 4" of peat/potting soil mix (70/30) with watering tubes down into the gravel. I keep glass over 80% of the top and mist once or twice daily. I've been adding water to the tubes to keep roughly the bottom half of the substrate visibly moist. UTH in back corner of completely covered end keeps the tanks in the low 80s. Humidity runs from 65% before a misting to 75% after misting (guages are in center of back glass right above substrate). Hopefully I'm providing a temperature gradient this way. Small amount of indirect light in the room (blinds drawn) in day, but no other lights. I remove uneaten prey and scraps within hours. Suggestions appreciated.

By the way, for anyone who has used the predatory mites: how often/long should I add these mites?

Thx,
-John

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a few things you can do. Add isopods. Add predatory mites (Hypoaspis miles), and change the tank setup so there is simply substrate and a water dish. The mites need moisture to thrive. Or you can just let the tank dry out until they are gone. Make sure to provide a water dish in the enclosures though.

Best wishes,

Paul