Tiny white bugs.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Hey guys I really hate to post this because I already see multiple threads talking about "tiny white bugs" but here we go.

They are not springtails 100%
I can almost guarantee they aren't harmful mites because they don't bother my T.

I have a T. Stirmi on substrate that is damp here and there, but stays damp around the water dish. I see tiny tiny egg looking specks around the water dish. And bugs that are SO tiny I could barely see them.

It's the only enclosure that has them. And so far the only enclosure where I have once upon a time dealt with gnats. But the gnats were only around the water dish as well.

Not an emergency I don't reckon but id like some info. Thanks guys. I hate to be the "my tarantula is on its back! Do I flip it over?!" Guy.

I would post some pictures but they are so tiny it wouldn't even show up on my high tech 30$ Wal-Mart phone.

boina

Lady of the mites
Dr. Google Here I come.

Typing....
What do harmless mite eggs look like?

:rofl:
They are too small to see. Mites are always harmless, btw. Somewhere hidden in the stickies (beginner's info) is a long post I wrote about mites once. Read it and you don't need to google anymore, especially since the information about mites in tarantula enclosures on google is a huge bunch of uninformed nonsense.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
They do sound like springtails; but whatever they are -- they are attracted to moisture (& possible bits of mould or boli) in tank. Could they be gnat larvae?

With a stirmi, I consider this normal -- the conditions that help your T flourish may be favourable to a host of other things.

Most professional photographers use $30 WalMart phone, fyi. lol

Good luck but don't fret since T itself is fine.

Boina's link is helpful: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mites.309211/

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I'll check out these threads forsure. I can say I didn't know all mites were harmless. And I have been avoiding mold but as far as picking out the boluses I don't do that :bag: with my slings I do but I have never done that with the rest of my Ts. They don't have damp sub as often as the stirmi either though. It's just the idea of reaching underneath a stirmi to get them out of the back of her hide. If she left them out in the open that would be fine. And as far as gnat larvae it could be. I really appreciate everyones help with this I know it's really not much to go by.

And professional photographers using 30$ Walmart phones..... That's hard to believe. (No disrespect) when I zoom on my camera it's just blurred pixels. :rofl: even when I focus it just makes everything super grainy.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'll check out these threads forsure. I can say I didn't know all mites were harmless. And I have been avoiding mold but as far as picking out the boluses I don't do that :bag: with my slings I do but I have never done that with the rest of my Ts. They don't have damp sub as often as the stirmi either though. It's just the idea of reaching underneath a stirmi to get them out of the back of her hide. If she left them out in the open that would be fine. And as far as gnat larvae it could be. I really appreciate everyones help with this I know it's really not much to go by.

And professional photographers using 30$ Walmart phones..... That's hard to believe. (No disrespect) when I zoom on my camera it's just blurred pixels. :rofl: even when I focus it just makes everything super grainy.
I think it's good housekeeping to remove a bolus or spoon out a bit of mould as needed and if easily done (but I wouldn't tear up a whole enclosure due to a few white bugs or mould spots); nor would I get overly concerned or worried unless the tank was was an ungodly mess!

And my comment about professional photographer's using cheap phones was my poor attempt at humour -- sorry....