Tiny Tarantulas?

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone :)

I was bored a couple minutes ago, and so I googled tiny tarantulas. I found a rather informative thread (from this sites archive) about Cyriocosmus spp and how small they are. I googled them and saw what they looked like, and I think I fell in love ;)

I couldn't find a lot of info on them though.

So, I have a few questions. What are some very small tarantula species available in the hobby? By very small I mean like 2-3 inches or smaller. And then where can I get said tarantula? Or where can I get one of the Cyriocosmus spp species?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Euathlus sp. small, and theres tons of paraphysa dwarf sp.....They are all great Ts, and the gentalist ts youll ever find aswell

I have the Euathlus, and quite a few of the dwarf paraphysas....love em!

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Heterothele sp.
Holothele sp.

they're arboreal small, so a larger leg span than the terrestrial dwarfs your enquiring about.

Beautiful creatures. Check out the H. incei and H. gabonensis for an idea of both sp. Both of these are communal as well:)

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Heterothele sp.
Holothele sp.

they're arboreal small, so a larger leg span than the terrestrial dwarfs your enquiring about.

Beautiful creatures. Check out the H. incei and H. gabonensis for an idea of both sp. Both of these are communal as well:)
Those aren't arboreal. Although described as being semi arboreal.(Heterothele gabonensis are, just realized I should clarify... Apologies, I'm very tired.)

But they are beautiful.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Those aren't arboreal. Although described as being semi arboreal.(Heterothele gabonensis are, just realized I should clarify... Apologies, I'm very tired.)

But they are beautiful.
My H. villosella is more terrestrial/burrower than semi-arboreal, though :) Freaking fast, though :)

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone :)

I love them all, its so hard to decide on something like this....

I probably wont be able to get a T until July or so, we are going camping and so most of my extra money is being put back for that. But I am not planning on buying much while we are there so I will probably have enough to get something T related afterwards.

There are also the baby Brachypelma angustum I can easily get a hold of online... The same place also has Holothele sp. "tachira" Venezuela Blue Leg and Holothele incei Trinidad Olive. But I would rather have a more active species, probably not one that burrows. A terrestrial non-burrower would probably be the best one for me. I really liked my Chilean Rose haired T.

There is also a exotic reptile show around here that I went to to get my scorpion. I bought a young pink toed T there but it had a bad molt a couple days after I got it :( It was so cute to, it was maybe the size of a half dollar.

I am going to spend quite a while looking up all the ones you all posted, see what price ranges they are all in also.

Last edited:

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Thanks everyone :)

I love them all, its so hard to decide on something like this....

I probably wont be able to get a T until July or so, we are going camping and so most of my extra money is being put back for that. But I am not planning on buying much while we are there so I will probably have enough to get something T related afterwards.

There are also the baby Brachypelma angustum I can easily get a hold of online... The same place also has Holothele sp. "tachira" Venezuela Blue Leg and Holothele incei Trinidad Olive. But I would rather have a more active species, probably not one that burrows. A terrestrial non-burrower would probably be the best one for me. I really liked my Chilean Rose haired T.

There is also a exotic reptile show around here that I went to to get my scorpion. I bought a young pink toed T there but it had a bad molt a couple days after I got it :( It was so cute to, it was maybe the size of a half dollar.

I am going to spend quite a while looking up all the ones you all posted, see what price ranges they are all in also.
just a note as you said you wanted a more active specie then said you like G.rosea, G.rosea are known as pet rocks because they can stay stationary for a loooong time of course there is exceptions but yea.... if you want something active/small i got a E.trunculentus the other day beautiful little spider my sub adult is roughly 2-3 inches i dont believe it gets much bigger.... Or you have the E.sp. 'red' AKA chile flame which i THINK grow to a max or 2-3 inches ive heard there extremely docile and there beautiful too.

will this be your first T?

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry I worded that wrong. I had a G. rosea until about a week ago, it died. I had it for quite a while though. This is not my first T.

My G. rosea was pretty active after I had it for a while. It would go through its "pet rock" stages but then would run around the cage and stuff for a while. It would also move around the decorations and dish I had in there, but it would never really burrow, just move stuff. I meant it more like I want a terrestrial that doesn't burrow a lot, like a G. rosea. But maybe a bit more active.

I will look up the species you suggested. Thanks :)

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Sorry I worded that wrong. I had a G. rosea until about a week ago, it died. I had it for quite a while though. This is not my first T.

My G. rosea was pretty active after I had it for a while. It would go through its "pet rock" stages but then would run around the cage and stuff for a while. It would also move around the decorations and dish I had in there, but it would never really burrow, just move stuff. I meant it more like I want a terrestrial that doesn't burrow a lot, like a G. rosea. But maybe a bit more active.

I will look up the species you suggested. Thanks :)
hmm terrestrial that is active and doesnt burrow if size isnt a matter id say L.parahybana, N.chromatus, A.geniculata... and the E.trunculentus i got is terrestrial ctive and doesnt burrow and is one of the smaller species.... if you want something small then E.trunculentus or E.sp. 'red' is an ideal spider to meet your specs :D

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I looked them up, and I think those sound perfect! The Euathlus 'red' sounds perfect, I just need to find a place with decent pricing.

I am guessing the Euathlus 'red' are red, but what colors can they be? Sorry I am color blind, so I like to ask so I know.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I looked them up, and I think those sound perfect! The Euathlus 'red' sounds perfect, I just need to find a place with decent pricing.

I am guessing the Euathlus 'red' are red, but what colors can they be? Sorry I am color blind, so I like to ask so I know.
the dominant colour is black then they have a afro like turft of red hair between the carapace and abdomen as for prices i dunno the Us market but in the UK a S/A is about £20-25 im not sure of the conversion rate atm so cant help on that lol

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds great! :) Thanks

So they are about 30-40 USD, not too bad I guess.

I haven't found any for sale here, at least not for a good price. Except on this thread:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?227475-Repticon-Tampa-is-coming!&highlight=Euathlus

I guess that means they have red, and the other ones. But it saw they are WC (wild caught) and then at the end it says they are captive born? I am guessing means they are 1/4" slings (I am guessing slings means baby, I am new to tarantula speak ;)) that they are captive born though.

I will just try and put back some money and wait for when I can get one. I am still open to more suggestions though. You can't stop at just one T ;)

Tarac

Arachnolord

E. sp red is easier to work with than E. "pulcherrimaklaasi" and far smaller. I wouldn't consider the later a dwarf but the former certainly is.

There is a sexed female E. sp red for sale at a LPS here in town, it's $24.99. I got mine for $20.00 I think, they are not very pricey and are really a great species. Mine doesn't dig and is fairly active.

Cyriocosmus are all awesome too. C. ritae is the most attractive in my opinion, I like it better than elegans. Mine are not even-tempered like my E. sp red though.

I have one Heterothele incei, the gold form. I got it as an afterthought on another order, it's really gorgeous I think. It really looks like a spider made of gold. Definitely one of my favorites now and an extremely aggressive feeder. Mine is semi-arboreal in that it lives around an extensive network of web tunnels spanning the enclosure, but never bothered to make anything subterranean. It sits out most of the time until you bother it, then it darts into one of the many openings in it's hurricane of webs.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will keep an eye out for them in pet stores also. I have seen a cobalt blue in one of the VI pets around here. So these might not be a stretch to find.

There is also the Kalamazoo reptile and exotic pet show I might be able to go to sometime. That's where I got my pink toed and emperor scorpion. Its almost a 2 hour drive though and is only once a month. maybe I could call the dealers there and ask if any of them had the E. 'red' before even messing with going.

EDIT:
I just remembered something also! ;)

The Kalamazoo reptile show last time I went had T slings for a dollar I think! I remember them having G. rosea and bird eaters, I might have to get one of them if they have smaller species (not bird eater, thats what i mean)

I will also look out for the others also, mainly the E. 'red' one.

Last edited: