Tiny critter cage for young G. pulchripes

Heckboy

Arachnopeon
I love thrift stores; the knicknack shelves are a treasure trove of dirt cheap and unique hides and water dishes.
Sometimes you get really lucky though.
Courtesy of the Salvation Army thrift store for two bucks, this critter cage (not sure of manufacturer) is 7" x 3.5" and 5" tall.
Since she was getting ready for a molt, I prepared her new home ahead of time.
She's now a 2" DLS and settling in.
DSC01439.jpg
DSC01440.jpg
DSC01424.jpg

There are a couple of thin, flat rocks buried standing up under the visible one for supporting walls in case she wants to burrow underneath.
The hide is a standard black cutaway PVC 1" pipe, and I found a tightly rolled tube of birch bark, which happened to wrap perfectly around the pipe. After a trim with a pair of sidecutters and a quick filing away of all the sharp edges on the wood and the pipe, followed by a good toothbrush scrubbing in hot water, she now has a variety of hide options to suit her preference.
The water dish is a former tealight candle, now well scrubbed and filled with gravel for stability, and the artificial leaf added in for drowned cricket prevention - both decorative and functional.
As for the enclosure itself, it's better ventilated than her former deli cup, and I like the "slide-lock" style lid.
Oh, and I used a pair of nail clippers to remove the loops for the handle.

Attachments

Last edited:

vukic

Arachnopeon
Looking good!!

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally cant stand thrift stores. I hate having to look for stuff. I always know what I want when I go shopping and I go in, and get out. I dont want to dig...but anyways, I digress... Good find! :) and nice setup!

I love thrift stores; the knicknack shelves are a treasure trove of dirt cheap and unique hides and water dishes.
This post makes me think of this...

[YOUTUBE]GjBYhp4fwC8[/YOUTUBE]

And now it is stuck in my head....

vukic

Arachnopeon
I personally cant stand thrift stores. I hate having to look for stuff. I always know what I want when I go shopping and I go in, and get out. I dont want to dig...but anyways, I digress... Good find! :) and nice setup!

This post makes me think of this...

[YOUTUBE]GjBYhp4fwC8[/YOUTUBE]

And now it is stuck in my head....
Love that song.. Although it's easy to get stuck in your head.. Lmao!!

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Heckboy

Arachnopeon
I can generally go through the store pretty quickly - I skim the knickknack aisle & the pet section, check out clothing, maybe stop by the hats, and pretty much that's it. Can't honestly recall when I last bought clothing from an actual retail store, other than socks and undies...
And thanks for the kind words.
Anyways, I figured I'd put up a photo of the hide, complete with the spider having her first postmolt meal.
That birch bark fits nice and snugly over the pipe under its own tension - no adhesive needed.

Attachments

Last edited: