Tiny black jumping bugs in spider enclosure!

SpiderFreak13

Arachnopeon
I woke up this morning and took a little peek to see how my T was doing. That is when I saw hundreds of small black bugs jumping around. They wee everywhere some even on the spider. I panicked and removed my T from his cage. I threw out the old substrate and washed the enclosure thoroughly and soaked it with Jik to kill germs. Once it dried out and was cleaned I put in new fresh substrate and put my T back. He seems fine now however he is scratching a lot. I think there might still be some of those bugs on him although I can't see any. Could someone please tell me what are those bugs and how to avoid it from happening again? If it helps I did feed my T super worms a few months ago but he only ever ate 2 the rest burrowed inside and I waited for them to submerge as beetles to remove them. Eventually I got them all out but maybe they could've caused these bugs to appear? Is it possible that it could be eggs that the worms laid that hatched or what? They looked like fleas in a way and they jumped a lot but I am not sure if a spider can get fleas.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Might they have been springtails? Springtails can be quite jumpy - but are generally a desireable thing in an enclosure because they help to keep the enclosure clean.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Without some sort of photograph of them, people will only be able to guess. My guess is that they might have been fungus gnats - they fly, but they can also be seen running and jumping around on the surface of the substrate. You don't mention what type of substrate that you have used, but fungus gnats can be found in many natural soils.
Fleas are not attracted to arthropods. Many fleas are species specific, although some can be attracted to animals outside of their normal species where their normal host is absent. Fleas do not affect spiders.

H Maculata

Arachnopeon
Without some sort of photograph of them, people will only be able to guess. My guess is that they might have been fungus gnats - they fly, but they can also be seen running and jumping around on the surface of the substrate. You don't mention what type of substrate that you have used, but fungus gnats can be found in many natural soils.
Fleas are not attracted to arthropods. Many fleas are species specific, although some can be attracted to animals outside of their normal species where their normal host is absent. Fleas do not affect spiders.
Agreed. I think it's just gnats.