Tiny AGB millipede babies!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have male and female African Giant Black Millipedes in a 30 gallon Wal-Mart tub. In May I saw the male transfer a sperm packet to the female. The female spent alot of time burrowing late May, early June.

Today I lifted up the food dish to put fresh food in, and there were four tiny AGB millipede babies, the first babies I have seen. They were tiny, maybe 0.5 cm. I looked only at the surface of the tank and they were the only ones I could see. I bet there are tons in the 8" substrate. Judging from their micro size, its going to be a while before they reach adulthood. Anyone know how long?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've got some breed from a year ago and they are now about 4"

so till the y grow about 11" they will be about 3 years i guess,...

anybody got some other opinion???????

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you feed them well, they should grow 6-7 inches in a year, according to my research (not very much)

How do you sex these things???

I just bought two and I have no idea.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
On a male millie it looks like a set of legs is missing at about
the seventh pair.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by scorpio
If you feed them well, they should grow 6-7 inches in a year, according to my research (not very much)

How do you sex these things???

I just bought two and I have no idea.
The 7th segment on the male has modified legs for sperm transfer that curl ventrally, so they look like they are missing legs from a lateral view.

If these tiny things grow to 6-7 inches in a year that would be amazing...it doesn't seem possible from their current size.

However it doesn't seem possible a catepillar the size of an eyelash can increase in body weight 60,000 times in a few months either. Arthropods can be eating machines.