Time to brag about another species in my collection

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I've already done similar threads of individual species in my collection. After the first few threads turned out pretty well, I have decided to do two a month (well at least attempt to do two a month). This thread and probably the next few will give recognition to some beginner species that I have experience with, it won't be a care sheet but may contain some tips and a bit of advertising (for lack of a better word).

This thread will be dedicated to the Brachypelma emilia:

They are a bright, vibrant orange/red with black on the abdomen and a triangular spot on the carapace making it quite appealing to the eye. While I do not have an adult of this species I have heard that they do not get quite as big as some other brachys.

They are great eaters, can be skittish (both of mine are very skittish especially my female), they do kick readily, but that is all they really do). They are not fast growers. I would say more along the lines of slow-medium growth rate.

Basic terrestrial setup is all that is needed. Overflowing the water dish a little bit seems to help.

Why do I recommend this species for beginners?

They are easy to care for, great eaters, and quite colorful.

Why do I recommend them to other keepers who already have experience in the hobby, but have never owned this species?

All of the above and they are must haves for anyone who has Brachys.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree. I was fortunate to have my first emilia sling be a female. I find them to be among the most distinct looking Brachys, along with albiceps and klaasi. She's not full sized yet, about 4.5" DLS I've seen them a bit larger.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Nice write up!

If you’re interested in any feedback, I did go lookup the species just to know the common name for B. emilia.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine was the first unsexed juvenile I purchased from FB (my first OW came as a surprise freebie with her), luckily turned out to be a female, she's about 3.5" now, she's skittish and likes to burrow but is often out, she's a great eater and rarely kicks hairs, probably my favourite from the genus looks-wise.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice write up!

If you’re interested in any feedback, I did go lookup the species just to know the common name for B. emilia.
Please don't put a common name in it @PanzoN88.. Common names suck and need to go. Especially the ones used in the Brachypelma genus.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have two females and I love them. One female is 20+ years and was originally given to my friend by Stan Schultz. She was moving a few months back and gifted her to me, because my home is quieter. She is an absolute love.
I also have a juvenile female who is probably the most skittish of all my juvenile female Brachypelma. Maybe second only to my B.albiceps girl.
My old girl, Iris.
DSC00945-2.jpg

My young girl, Jasmine.
DSC01829-2-2.jpg

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Please don't put a common name in it @PanzoN88.. Common names suck and need to go. Especially the ones used in the Brachypelma genus.
This place is so odd sometimes. What harm would there be in putting both if the genus/species is prioritized?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This place is so odd sometimes. What harm would there be in putting both if the genus/species is prioritized?
Use the search function to find really looooong threads about common names versus scientific names. I don't want to derail @PanzoN88 s thread too much by going into it here ;)

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Use the search function to find really looooong threads about common names versus scientific names. I don't want to derail @PanzoN88 s thread too much by going into it here ;)
Well yeah, if you’re talking using one or the other, then for sure scientific is the way to go.