Time lapse moulting video (L. striatus)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
awesome

that was a great video. i have yet to catch a molt myself...always come home after the fact. i only wish you could slow down the actual shedding part and maybe go till its back on its feet but i dont want to sound like a nit-picker hah. thanks for posting it.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing that vid !
How do you get them to time laps like that , idont mean to nit pick as well but you should slow down the shedding part of the vid ! :clap:

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fantastic video. much appreciated!

gothmog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments :D

This was the first time I've actually managed to catch one in the act (the victim was under the setup for a week before I finally saw the moulting mat go down). Unfortunately I had to go to work which is why the battery ran down :(

The first half of the video is at 1 frame every 90 seconds then when I came home at lunch he'd flipped over so I put it down to 1 per 60 seconds and changed the batteries in the flash (but not the camera :wall: ). Since he's only little (about 1") he slipped out pretty quick :) if I'd have been there to change it I'd have definately dropped it down to about 15s per shot for the final act. I have another 8 L. striatus slings ready to go soon though so I will get another chance :)

I also have a big B. boehmei in premolt, I'd really like to get him in the act :)

Equipment used:

Canon EOS 20D, Canon 100mm macro, 550EX flash. (Overkill, you can do it with much less than this!).
Canon EOS Capture for the timed shooting via USB.
Photolapse (great program!) (http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html) to encode the images into a video using Xvid.