Time investment?

Lilyskip

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone--I just had a very morally discouraging conversation with my mom, who hates snakes and has never seen/touched one, ever, in which she tried to talk me out of buying the ball, based on the fact that keeping the temperature up in the winter, buying food, etc. would take up too much time. I guess I'm just wondering how many of you are full-time snake breeders/caretakers, and how many of you have other jobs or activities that take up most of your day?

Also, since I live in a dorm, the ball would have to be moved during the winter break and spring breaks to a different caretaker home (winter break for about a month, spring break for two or three weeks). Would this be too stressful on the snake?

Oh, and if I buy it now, it would need to be moved into my house, where it would stay for five weeks, then moved into a caretaker house for two weeks, then into my dorm until December. Is this too much? Should I wait until I'm in my dorm for this year? How well do they handle moving? Help!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does that mean no feeding for 5 weeks?

I don't own a ball python, but I'm sure it'd survive those 5 weeks if you gave it a bit to eat before you left. It might not like it, but snakes can go a long time without eatting.

(Actually, don't ball pythons fast for a couple months sometimes?)

Snakes really don't take too much time at all, almost the same as tarantulas (if you have any). Have water with it and feed it a couple times a week, once a week, once every two weeks, or less. (Although, the more you feed it, the healthier/bigger/faster it'll grow.)

Lilyskip

Arachnopeon
I would be able to feed it for the five weeks it would be in my house, assuming I didn't have any problems with it eating.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not wanting to be the voice of adulthood here, but just exactly how is your dorm on pets, and just how many years of college to do you have left, and do you already have the roommate situation worked out for the remaining years?

Let me tell what you don't want to be put in the position of: removing an animal to safe haven *this night* or having the university seize it. You don't want to be put in the position of suddenly having to dump an animal because the apartment you're moving into is very strict about pets (and inspects), or a roommate absolutely won't let you move in with it.

This isn't to say you can't do these things, I had pets while I was in college, but please consider them every bit as carefully as time requirements before buying anything living while in college. Having pets means you may have to pay more rent, or live in a place you'd rather not live, or even with people you'd rather not live with, it's a commitment that involves a lot more than just feeding and transporting the snake.

I live in a college town and I can walk into the pound any day of the week and find numerous dogs and cats that have just been dumped off with the reason given as "new apartment/rental home won't allow it" (herps are simply destroyed if dropped off). It's a tragedy caused by youth's impatience to think beyond the next 6 months and it pisses me off every time I see it happen.

Lilyskip

Arachnopeon
Hey there--
Thanks for the concern. I've talked to people that keep reptiles at my school, and they don't seem to have a problem with regulations. I've talked to my suitemates, and they're all cool with it, and I am ready to commit to the time commitment.

I actually found the snake I'm going to buy a few days ago at a specialty shop. I'm setting up its tank tonight so I can see what the temperatures are like and if I need any additional heat or humidity sources, then I'll go pick it up on Saturday. I'm totally excited, and really well-researched, and ready for the commitment. :eek:)