Time For My Jumper's New Home . . . What Should I do?

kamakiri

Arachnopeon
After an amazing run, my little jumper seems anxious for a new home. She hasn't told me as much, but I'm thinking it's time.

She has had an incredible odyssey:

I found her on a side table in my living room here on the 8th floor of a condo building, back towards the end of July.

She was so tiny, and so spunky, and I knew nothing about any spiders, but I put some potting soil at the bottom of a plastic kitchen container with a couple of twigs, stretched some silk stocking across the top, and there we went!

At first I couldn't feed her anything, except incidental insects (tiny beetles or lacewings that flew in) but I never saw her feeding and the insects remained, but then one day I discovered that you could buy fruit flies, so her Great Hunger days were over.

But recently, about two weeks ago, after her last feed, she just . . . disappeared.

There is only about 1/2 of potting soil in there, so I didn't know how she could disappear, but she did. At first I wasn't alarmed, but the days ticked by, and I finally decided that she was dead . . . I shook the container around, and no spider (she's exactly the colour of the soil, so is extremely difficult to see). so just until yesterday I was preparing to throw it all out and give up.

But this morning: YAY! She was there sitting on the side of the container. I have NO IDEA what she was doing for so long!

But it's decided: I'm going to move her to a bigger container. But what should I decorate it with? And how should I cover it? I don't have silk big enough to stretch across.

Your advice and decorating tips appreciated!!

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
But this morning: YAY! She was there sitting on the side of the container. I have NO IDEA what she was doing for so long!
One idea is that she might have been in premolt for that time and maybe just molted.

But what should I decorate it with?
I like to use fake flowers and leaves from the dollar store. Today I just added some pretty fake fall leaves to a large Agelenopsis sp. enclosure.

And how should I cover it? I don't have silk big enough to stretch across.
If you choose a plastic container with a lid, you can use a thumbtack to poke holes on the sides of the container (and top if you can). This is the way a lot of hobbyists go with smaller spiders.

Have fun putting together the enclosure :). That's one of my favorite parts of this hobby.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
After an amazing run, my little jumper seems anxious for a new home. She hasn't told me as much, but I'm thinking it's time.

She has had an incredible odyssey:

I found her on a side table in my living room here on the 8th floor of a condo building, back towards the end of July.

She was so tiny, and so spunky, and I knew nothing about any spiders, but I put some potting soil at the bottom of a plastic kitchen container with a couple of twigs, stretched some silk stocking across the top, and there we went!

At first I couldn't feed her anything, except incidental insects (tiny beetles or lacewings that flew in) but I never saw her feeding and the insects remained, but then one day I discovered that you could buy fruit flies, so her Great Hunger days were over.

But recently, about two weeks ago, after her last feed, she just . . . disappeared.

There is only about 1/2 of potting soil in there, so I didn't know how she could disappear, but she did. At first I wasn't alarmed, but the days ticked by, and I finally decided that she was dead . . . I shook the container around, and no spider (she's exactly the colour of the soil, so is extremely difficult to see). so just until yesterday I was preparing to throw it all out and give up.

But it's decided: I'm going to move her to a bigger container. But what should I decorate it with? And how should I cover it? I don't have silk big enough to stretch across.

Your advice and decorating tips appreciated!!

It's completely normal for them to disappear for awhile. Anywhere form 3 days to a week or more. They do this when they are in premolt and during molting. Also it can be harmful for them to be disturbed during this time. Next time try to see where it's making it's permanent nest and then you can check on it during molt ( just visually).

kamakiri

Arachnopeon
Wow, I never thought of decorations from the dollar store! I'm on it.

It's very hard to tell if she has moulted or not—she looks the same as she did before going into hiding. But she does this from time to time—just disappears into the soil for a week or so at a time. But yesterday she was out and all wiggly-bummed when I introduced a fly into her realm.

Honestly, she doesn't do much but she's captivated *my* heart! I just regret so much not being able to watch her kids grow up.

I'll keep you posted on the Great Move, probably this weekend!