tiger centipede

Pampo

Arachnopeon
look at the down picture.

that's Scolopendra morsitans. right?
that's commom name is 'tanzanian black headed tiger centipede'.
but searching result from me,
that also have another name,
'egyptian emerald centipede,blue ring centipede,austrailian giant centipede'.

is that true tiger centipede?
if not,what is scientific name of that tiger centipede?

PS:I LOVE PAMPHOBETEUS!

-----
hello,locke.
i know you and you know i,isn't?

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't really tell you since I don't know much about centipedes but that is one AWESOME pede!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
and that is the trouble with common names and the reason most hobbyists avoid them if at all possible...scientific names are "where it's at" :) no such thing as a "true" tiger centipede since you have just illustrated two different species that have been given that common name...and I will name another one in the next paragraph :D

Scolopendra polymorpha is also known as a "tiger centipede" but looks nothing like that pede. The pede you're asking about looks a lot like the one in Scolopendra55's avatar...I forget what it is lol, he says it in his sig.

edit: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?u=5392 (Scolo55's profile...says it is S. hardwicki)

edit #2: the picture you posted is the exact same one as in his avatar...either A) that is his picture and you have posted it without his permission (I doubt he would mind, but it IS against forum rules) or B) that's not his picture but someone else's...and in that case you and him are violating copyrights :p

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that's Scolopendra hardwicki. A pede I think every centipede person would want. Pretty sure from India. Very hard to get:wall: . There is another pic on the internet I came across. The site said it was 23cm long if I remember right.

...beat me to it.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
9"+??~!?? wow...i'll take two please :D

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found the site again that has another picture. It has a diff pattern though. This has been brought up before, the different patterns seen in the pictures that have been found of this pede so far. I remember people wondering if they are the same species. Hmm, 25cm+ it says.

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Asia/India/photo65206.htm
i've also found the differences between two pictures above. look at their heads and terminal legs on the last section of the bodies. sure they have different patterns though looking very similar.

maybe steven, he absolutely has the answer enough to make our brains get some rest.

hey, steven...where are you? hehe~ :?

-locke

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know what the taxonomic significance is, but all of these display different coloration:

The one at the top has a black head and first tergum. Then each tergum up to the termimal and next to last tergum, is half orange and half black.

The second one has an orange head and first tergum, then black, orange, black, orange, two black, then alternating to the termimal and next to last tergum.

The ones in the links all are similar to the second one with slight variations; black or orange head, and the double same color terga are orange instead of black.

If the other four are just color morphs of the same specie, the first one seems less likely to be the same specie, based on color alone.