Ticks

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Doing fieldwork on butterflies and bumblebees this summer, I'm often in areas where I'm liable to get ticks. Tall grass and open areas are their favorite hide-outs, and they're out in some force this year (although less than last year, at least so far). No matter how many precautions you take--long pants tucked into socks, maybe some DEET spray if you decide you're not worried about the environmental impact--you're going to get at least one or two ticks on you. They're very persistent, tough little animals. So my family is all convinced that I'm going to get Lyme disease, and also that I'm mistaken about ticks being able to get through human protection.

Now, though I understand this fear, I think it's irrational. The main reason is that Lyme disease usually takes at least thirty-six hours of attached tick to transfer. I've gotten dozens of ticks in my life--my personal record is seven, and I'm sure that's not even particularly high. All but one of these were deer ticks, and I think the main thing, other than statistics, that's kept me from getting Lyme disease is that I'm very, very careful to always check for and remove ticks. If you do that as soon as you're done in the field, a tick is exceedingly unlikely to have transferred enough saliva to give you lyme disease. To be sure, you have to be cautious during removal, since you don't want to tear the head off or squeeze the gut contents into your bloodstream. But at the same time, Lyme disease is treatable (horrible, but not lethal) and very unlikely if you're careful. Everyone is afraid of ticks, but no one complains about mosquitoes, even though the risk of contracting something problematic in my area is not much lower as long as you're methodical about tick removal. And that's the key: removing ticks is at least as important as preventative measures, because as long as it's done on the same day they're picked up, it is a preventative measure.

In short: don't be constantly afraid of Lyme disease, just treat it as you would any other hazard: with the weight it deserves, and with appropriate precautions.

PS if someone has alternative information about how long it takes to transfer lyme disease, as well as a source, I am all ears, since that's quite important with regards to what to do about ticks.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
Doesn't a hot shower kill them off pretty quickly? Or maybe a dip in a chlorinated swimming pool. Really I wouldn't worry. The odds of the tick being on you for more than 36 hours without you realising and that particular tick actually carrying the Lyme disease pathogen are pretty low

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
"In short: don't be constantly afraid of Lyme disease, just treat it as you would any other hazard: with the weight it deserves, and with appropriate precautions."
-- I agree, I grew up hiking in endemic areas. It was about management, we checked in front of mirrors after outings, appropriate clothing etc

AntoineGJ

Arachnopeon
My mother had lyme disease. Now she's all good ! No need to worry about, just be carefull

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Doesn't a hot shower kill them off pretty quickly? Or maybe a dip in a chlorinated swimming pool.
Don't know about swimming pools, but a hot shower does nothing. You do actually have to pull them off individually. It's annoying but not actually hard.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
Don't know about swimming pools, but a hot shower does nothing. You do actually have to pull them off individually. It's annoying but not actually hard.
Odd. You'd think high temps would kill them. Look out how quickly the heat will kill other arachnids

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I grew up in the "country" here in Tennessee. Ticks during certain times of the year were literally an every day occurance. While they can be dangerous in certain parts of the world I'm sure, they're definitely not as dangerous as people make them out to be.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Odd. You'd think high temps would kill them. Look out how quickly the heat will kill other arachnids
Ticks are really odd in how often they refuse to die. To crush them, for example, you have to use either a fingernail or a blunt object (in my experience). And just think about how long they sit out in direct sunlight--ticks can go seven years without food, and every summer at least some of them are in open fields, and they don't move around much when not attached to a host. They're remarkably good at what they do.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Is that a real thing? Can't tell to what degree you're kidding, but that would be amusing
When the neurons do the scramble thing, anything can happen. Think of being allergic to your own skin which is rare but happens.