Tick identification

TrapdoorSpiderLover

Arachnosquire
D5F00258-30F0-426A-AEDD-DA158E6B0DE0.png I got some cane toads a while back from a local petstore which accidentally got them in. When i got them they both had a couple swollen looking extrusions on them but i just thought it was a normal abnormality and thought nothing of it foolishly.
I realize now that those were swollen ticks since i recently discovered one toad deceased with a very large tick on it.
i removed the tick intact. i also checked the rest of the toads for ticks but i found none.
but now to the actual topic at hand, i require tick identification as i wish to keep this tick as ive always wanted one as a pet, may sound odd but i appreciate all arachnids and yes i understand the diseases i obviously aint lettin it eat me or anyone else.
How do i identify the tick species?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Probably Dermacentor Variabilis, aka common dog tick. Adult engorged female. She can live up to 3 years but if she has mated she will die a few days after laying eggs. If unfertilized she can go 1/2 to about 1 year without a host.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Where did these cane toads come from? The mouthparts look a little off for Dermacentor and the enameling on the scutum doesn't match D. variabilis. Do you still have the ticks? If so, I'd be happy to throw them under a scope and ID them. I've spent several years doing tick ID so I could probably figure it out.

If you want to keep it, take a clear photo of the front, showing the mouthparts and any markings on the scutum. That can at least get us to genus, possibly to species.

Depending on species and where it's from, it may not be a vector of human diseases. Might not even be a vector of herp diseases, but that's much less studied.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Keeping bufo marinus is a thing? Where are you located? We had two that were actually eating dog food out of our dog bowls then having a swim in the water dish