Tia B's Tarantula Diary

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Decided to take a page from @BoyFromLA and start my own tarantula diary. I plan to detail some of the little things happening with my collection I find interesting enough to share but not interesting enough to start a thread about.

Each entry will be made at the beginning of the day and edited to add more details until the next day.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/8/17
I made two new juvie enclosures out of some tupperware.

Walked past my tarantulas and glanced at my AF P. irminia and she threw a threat posture just for looking at her. I smiled.

L. parahybana juvie seems to have finished its molt and is now resting. I plan to move it to one of the new enclosures when it hardens.

I can't get over the colors of the D. pentaloris after a molt. It has translucent blue legs and a bright red rump. It's unreal-looking.

My A. gen juvie is still working on the superworm from last night. Looks almost finished now. This is the first meal he's taken since his last molt as well as the first time I fed him a superworm. Before this I felt they were too big. He did not think so, and took it down before it hit the ground.

Juvie GBB has still not molted. Going on about 3 weeks now.

Got my new Ami sp. "Colombia" sling to eat for the first time in my care. Fed my new N. tripepii for the second time. That spider's a good little eater!

Moved my AF P. scrofa's enclosure to a more visible area.

Fed my P. irminia a superworm before going to bed. She accepted it happily. I think she's settled into her new enclosure. She's put up some webbing. I enjoy her more than I expected to.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/9/18
Rehoused L. parahybana into one of the refurbished tupperware containers.
20180209_233800.jpg
Was previously housed in a Jamie's Tarantula Terrestrial Sling container.

MM N. incei has made more webs, but haven't seen any more that blatantly look like a sperm web. I trust he will gain confidence in time and do his duty.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/8/17
I made two new juvie enclosures out of some tupperware.

Walked past my tarantulas and glanced at my AF P. irminia and she threw a threat posture just for looking at her. I smiled.

L. parahybana juvie seems to have finished its molt and is now resting. I plan to move it to one of the new enclosures when it hardens.

I can't get over the colors of the D. pentaloris after a molt. It has translucent blue legs and a bright red rump. It's unreal-looking.

My A. gen juvie is still working on the superworm from last night. Looks almost finished now. This is the first meal he's taken since his last molt as well as the first time I fed him a superworm. Before this I felt they were too big. He did not think so, and took it down before it hit the ground.

Juvie GBB has still not molted. Going on about 3 weeks now.

Got my new Ami sp. "Colombia" sling to eat for the first time in my care. Fed my new N. tripepii for the second time. That spider's a good little eater!

Moved my AF P. scrofa's enclosure to a more visible area.

Fed my P. irminia a superworm before going to bed. She accepted it happily. I think she's settled into her new enclosure. She's put up some webbing. I enjoy her more than I expected to.
The year should be 2018, not 2017

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/10/18
Went through and made sure everybody had water and/or moistened substrate.

Fed some of my collection.
Ones that ate:

P. scrofa 1.5" juvie (suspect female)
-ate three small crickets, impressively holding all of them in her mouth at once

A. geniculata 2.5" juvie male
-ate one superworm

N. incei 1" juvie
-ate one small cricket

C. marshalli .75" sling
-ate one small cricket

C. darlingi .75" sling
-ate one small cricket

T. violaceous .5" sling
-ate one small cricket

N. tripepii 1.25" sling
-ate one small cricket

G. pulchripes 1" sling
-ate one small cricket

N. coloratovillosus 1" sling
-ate one small cricket

L. parahybana 1.75" juvie
-ate one small cricket

Ami sp. "Colombia"
-ate one small cricket

C. aueri 25" (or less) sling
-ate two fruit flies

And last but not least....

N. incei "gold" MM
-ate one AF B. lateralis

N. Chromatus 2.5" juvie molted. Looks like it put on a decent amount of size too. Gender still unknown as it ripped up its molt.

H. Villosella 1" juvie molted. Could not remove molt to check gender.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/11/18

Fed my Hadrurus arizonensis male for the first time since November.

Bred N. incei male to my female. Fingers crossed it was a success!

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/12/18

Fed my wolf spider a roach. She was on it immediately.

Looked in on my 1/2" (maybe even smaller) T. violaceous. She is a complete balloon right now. A balloon with legs.

Mated my N. incei pair once more. I wanted to be positive that the male got a good insertion. He most certainly did, and got away unharmed.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/13/18
While doing my daily spider inspection, I saw this:
OI000020.jpg
My juvenile B. vagans finally molting after about a month of premolt.

Also found my C. fimbriatus had molted at some point in the last week. She tossed out her molt from her burrow today.

Rehoused my H. villosella juvenile from a 30 dram vial to a Jamie's Tarantulas sling enclosure. I was waiting to rehouse until she molted, and she did about a week ago.

Took some pics of her, she's difficult to photograph.
OI000021.jpg OI000022.jpg

Also got this great picture of my juvenile P. scrofa:
OI000028.jpg

And Noodle:
OI000024.jpg

Last edited:

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
2/13/18
While doing my daily dpider inspection, I saw this:
View attachment 266312
My juvenile B. vagans finally molting after about a month of premolt.

Also found my C. fimbriatus had molted at some point in the last week. She tossed out her molt from her burrow today.

Rehoused my H. villosella juvenile from a 30 dram vial to a Jamie's Tarantulas sling enclosure. I was waiting to rehouse until she molted, and she did about a week ago.

Took some pics of her, she's difficult to photograph.
View attachment 266313 View attachment 266314

Also got this great picture of my juvenile P. scrofa:
View attachment 266315

And Noodle:
View attachment 266316
Were You able to watch your B.vagans go through its moult? Did everything turn out ok?

Love the diary feature, I shall tune in to future episodes! :happy:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Were You able to watch your B.vagans go through its moult? Did everything turn out ok?

Love the diary feature, I shall tune in to future episodes! :happy:
Yeah, he finished molting and it was a perfect molt! OI000031.jpg

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/14/18
Didn't do much with the spiders.

2/15/18
Discovered my P. muticus molted for the second time in my care. I've been waiting on its molt for about 3 months.

Went through and made sure all my collection had water.

Fed C. marshalli, C. darlingi, D. pentaloris, P. scrofa, L. parahybana, C. fimbriatus, N. chromatus, H. villosella, G. pulchra and A. geniculata. Out of B. lateralis so I bought some crickets to tide my collection over.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/14/18
Didn't do much with the spiders.

2/15/18
Discovered my P. muticus molted for the second time in my care. I've been waiting on its molt for about 3 months.

Went through and made sure all my collection had water.

Fed C. marshalli, C. darlingi, D. pentaloris, P. scrofa, L. parahybana, C. fimbriatus, N. chromatus, H. villosella, G. pulchra and A. geniculata. Out of B. lateralis so I bought some crickets to tide my collection over.
Also got some better pictures of my H. villosella.
OI000035.jpg OI000034.jpg

And look who's hardening up nicely:
OI000038.jpg

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/16/18
Didn't do much with spiders.
My P. fasciatus has been hanging out outside of its dirt web almost all the time lately. Little guy looks like a oversized tick. Somebody's due for a molt.

20180215_230913.jpg

2/17/18
Fed my L. parahybana a dubia roach escapee
My C. fimbriatus juvie seems to be getting its adult colors. It was hanging out in its webbing and I got a good look.

My GBB juvie is molting! Made an impressive webbing shield/cushion, so no pictures but can't wait to see the new and improved spider. Hopefully this time I can sex it and maybe it will get a little more adult colors.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/18/18
GBB has definitely gained some more adult coloring. Still has a striped rump, but is now fully orange and blue.

Found a surprise molt from my T. gigas sling.

Took some good pictures of my wolf spider (sp. Tucson) and my G. pulchra.

OI000039.jpg OI000040.jpg OI000046.jpg OI000047.jpg

Planning to feed some of the slings before the day's out, so I plan to update later.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
2/18/18
GBB has definitely gained some more adult coloring. Still has a striped rump, but is now fully orange and blue.

Took some good pictures of my wolf spider (sp. Tucson) and my G. pulchra.

View attachment 266782 View attachment 266783 View attachment 266784 View attachment 266785

Planning to feed some of the slings before the day's out, so I plan to update later.
Fed some spiders yesterday, forgot to update.

N. chromatus juvie
-fed one superworm

C. darlingi sling
-fed one small cricket, love feeding this little guy because he just comes up from the depths and drags the cricket down into darkness like a little cave monster.

C. marshalli sling
-fed one small cricket

G. pulchripes sling
-fed one small cricket

D. pentaloris juvie
-fed one small cricket

B. albopilosum "hobby" sling
-fed one small cricket

0.1 A. Avicularia AF
-fed one superworm

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Fed some spiders yesterday, forgot to update.

N. chromatus juvie
-fed one superworm

C. darlingi sling
-fed one small cricket, love feeding this little guy because he just comes up from the depths and drags the cricket down into darkness like a little cave monster.

C. marshalli sling
-fed one small cricket

G. pulchripes sling
-fed one small cricket

D. pentaloris juvie
-fed one small cricket

B. albopilosum "hobby" sling
-fed one small cricket

0.1 A. Avicularia AF
-fed one superworm
Yesterday was my birthday. Happy Birthday to me! Didn't do much with the spiders.
Discovered that my T. violaceous sling had molted this morning and my P. cambrigei sling chucked its old exo out of its burrow. My T. gigas molted a few days ago, so apparently it's the week of arboreal molts.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Yesterday was my birthday. Happy Birthday to me! Didn't do much with the spiders.
Discovered that my T. violaceous sling had molted this morning and my P. cambrigei sling chucked its old exo out of its burrow. My T. gigas molted a few days ago, so apparently it's the week of arboreal molts.
Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a good one!