Thrixopelma Pruriens

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Hi all

I am thinking of purchasing this T but I have never seen this species for sale and haven't been able to track down any caresheets. Does anybody own this T and if so can they tell me about it in terms of temperament, size and set-up requirements? Also, what is the common name for this spider?

Many thanks in advance

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Well I went and ordered it anyway. Seems like not many people own this T and there is hardly any info on the net so I am taking my chances. I got a really good price.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 6" female is away on a breeding loan. Common was Peruvian Green Velvet when I got her, 2 yrs ago. Now it's Chilean Green Spiny/Shiny, depends on the breeder. Carapice is dk velvety green, ab is dk brown, legs also.
She once went 7 mos. w/o eating! I hear this is "normal" for this T. Freaked me at the time, tho.
But then, she ate like a pig for awhile & molted...Gorgeous!
I now have a 2" sling/juve, voracious appetite, a little shy, but beautiful little t.
I care for it with the basics: substrate, hidey, small water dish. Quite the digger, too.
Need anything more specific?

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Cool,thx for the reply. is the spider defensive at all (i.e. do you handle yours?). Also was it fast growing? Finally, what humidity/temp do you keep it at? I have a healthy Seemanni and I am guessing the environment would need to be similar?

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
As far as different names go, the website I have ordered the T from is calling it a Peru Striped. I assume therefore that the T must have stripes on its legs - either that or I have ordered a completely random T that the store has incorrectly labeled!

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Medium growth speed til adult, room temp 70-75 degrees, normal humidity as well. I just keep a water dish in most t tanks, but use a humidifier in the spider room during the winter.
I do not advocate handling (pul-lease, this is just MHO!)except some to change tanks, most times I use the bowl & spatula method.
Haven't handled this one, as the big girl was a little skittish. Also, if she was not hungry, she'd kill the crix, rather than let them annoy her, or so it seemed.
Need anything else?

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ryan Bridgman said:
As far as different names go, the website I have ordered the T from is calling it a Peru Striped. I assume therefore that the T must have stripes on its legs - either that or I have ordered a completely random T that the store has incorrectly labeled!

...and that's NEVER happened before!!!! {D