Thrixopelma Ockerti Care sheets, pre-molt signs, good eaters?.. etc?

Thomas94

Arachnopeon
Thrixopelma Ockerti Care sheets, pre-molt signs.. good eaters? etc? Looked everywere, so little information on this species, thanks

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one female Thrixopelma ockerti female, i keep the substrat half moist, temperature is around 25-27 degree. They will have pale colors and when they are in pre-molt.
As i know you can keep Thrixopelma ockerti both arboreal and terrestial, i've been keeping mine terrestial for 3 years.

Thomas94

Arachnopeon
i think mine is a female too, and atm she is like a browny golden colour, sound like pre-molt, shes extremely shy and hasnt eaten since i got her,

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think mine is a female too, and atm she is like a browny golden colour, sound like pre-molt, shes extremely shy and hasnt eaten since i got her,
Because of the browny color,being shy and refusing food, she should be in pre-molt. Raise the humidity a little bit, she'll be fine.

Thomas94

Arachnopeon
sorry for the late reply, and okay thank you!, how long does pre-molt usually last? i cant wait for her too start feeding, i think its a her anyway, ive seen some T ockerti MM Pictures, mine looks a lot bulkier that those

Shay

Arachnopeon
my T okerti is crazy as **** !!!! hasnt ate since i've had her for about a month. i think in premolt. as well. i keep mine terrestrial..

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Im bumping this old dead thread. I am interested in the species and while theres good info here, no one has yet to comment on general attitude, feeding response, or growth rates, all of which I am interested in. Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
Nobody has one of these, as nice looking as they are I would expect someone else has got to have experience with them. Info is hard to come by on these little buggers.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thrixopelma ockerti are semi-arboreal (mine had a large vertical cage and made use of being up high and on the ground equally).

As with any tarantula, you know they're probably in pre-molt when they're refusing food (assuming they're not just full). Tarantulas also take on a less vibrant colouration when they're ready to molt and sometimes show a dark spot on their abdomen.

There are no special humidity requirements, except the occassional moistening of substrate and keeping a water dish, which I often saw mine use.

The most important thing to note, imo, is that their urticating hairs can be really problematic to those who are sensitive to them! :eek:oh:

Otherwise, they're gorgeous in person, the females become stockily built up to about 5.5-6 inches (at least, mine was), and for some reason pictures never seem to do them justice.

cold blood

Staff member
thanks for the response. How fast do they grow? Pretty sure this will be one of my next t's!

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I bought mine as a subadult, so I can't speak for growth rate first-hand. I do know that they're faster growing than Brachy's or Grammy's. I would say they're average growth rate.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
@cold blood

Did you get any since this post ?

If so:

1- how do you like the growth speed?
2- how many do you have?
3- what color are the mature males/females?

cold blood

Staff member

StickyStein

Arachnopeon
I love this species. Ferocious eater. Semi arboreal. I dont think mine likes walking on dirt though so today i will be adding some rocks on the ground so it can be terrestrial as well. It moves around alot but only on the glass but when i had bark on the ground it would spend most its time terrestrial and sometimes arboreal. Should be an EXCITING rehousing!!

Attachments