Thrixopelma cyaneolum not molting

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
I got a juvenile a couple of years ago and it has yet to molted in my care. I have a habitat room that is kept in the low 70's to high 60's in the winter and high 70's to low 80's in the summer. The room is also kept at 50% humidity. I water once or twice a week depending on needs. The substrate is coco fiber.
IMG_20190106_133151442.jpg IMG_20190106_133246653.jpg

Some pics to show enclosure and individual. Ideas anyone? Husbandry change suggestions?

Last edited:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I got a juvenile a couple of years ago and it has yet to molted in my care. I have a habitat room that is kept in the low 70's to high 60's in the winter and high 70's to low 80's in the summer. The room is also kept at 50% humidity. I water once or twice a week depending on needs. The substrate is coco fiber.
View attachment 296766 View attachment 296767

Some pics to show enclosure and imdividind. Ideas anyone? Husbandry change suggestions?
One thing I can suggest is to add more substrate. The distance from the top off the substrate to the lid should not be more than 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the tarantula. This minimizes the chance of it being hurt in a fall. Hope this helps!

Also, should say, do not obsess over humidity and temperature. If you are fine at the current temperature then the tarantula probably is too, and humidity is irrelevant to keeping tarantulas. Again, hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I doubt there's anything to worry about. I don't think your keeping conditions are preventing it from molting or anything (though you might want to add more substrate to help prevent a fall)... probably just a matter of this being a slower growing species. It'll do what it needs to do, so just keep trying to feed it periodically and enjoy the ride!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
It's molt when it's ready to molt. I'm not familiar with this species but if I'm pretty sure it's a slow growing species. That and coupled with the temps. you keep it during the winter means that it probably does most of it's growing during the summer and slows down when the temps drop. If you want it grow 'faster' you can up the temps. and feed it more, but be prepared for it to 'fast' longer. Even then it could still take a while to grow.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What size is it? Doesnt look like juvenile to me.

These are fairly slow growing, so could be a long time between moults. But 2 years would be ridicilous time for a juvenile.

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'm processing more substrate right now. I used up what was already processed rehousing a few other T's this morning.

I'm not so much worried as confused because this one is not yet full grown. It has a dls of about 3 inches. I've had a hard time finding info from others about adult size. From what I've read it's supposed to be a medium size tarantula which in my brain is about 5 inches or so.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm not so much worried as confused because this one is not yet full grown. It has a dls of about 3 inches. I've had a hard time finding info from others about adult size. From what I've read it's supposed to be a medium size tarantula which in my brain is about 5 inches or so.
It will be an adult female then. This species will max out at 3.5” dls. 3 inches is average adult size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
Awww, mine's super chill. I updated her home along with three others today.

received_1193867044110837.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awww, mine's super chill. I updated her home along with three others today.

View attachment 296836
So is mine, but she's a reluctant eater unfortunately, eats only about 2 crix a month. She always has me worried, and considering how hard they are to come by, I keep my eyes on her like a hawk. I'd buy 5 if I could.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
likes to do the classic Thrixopelma "bum wave" threat posture but it's more of a bluff,
Mine does a little bit of the "bum wave" when getting moved into the catch cup but would rather just sit there. When I'm doing cage clean ups it's on the calmer side.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I do love Thrixopelma! Gorgeous spiders, yall.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine doesn't even raise up. She just freezes. Then if you touch her leg/s, she lifts each one up a bit and freezes that leg in place. THE best beginner T hands down.