Three Shades of Salmon

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
So back in June of 2022 I acquired 2 LPs' and 1 probably a month or so earlier. The first one was a surprise freebie with an order. All three from the same reputable vendor. I'll be referring to them in the order I acquired them, Lp1= first one I got, Lp3= last one

I know all spiders develope at their own rate and some may take an extra molt or two to acquire their adult colors. That being said I would assume, but could be wrong, that all three are from the same sac considering the amount of slings you can get from an eggsac.

They all molt within a 3 month period of eachother and it's typically in the order of 1, 3, 2. As of right now they are all sitting around 3 - 3.5" dls and all are sporting different variations of color. Lp1 is so salmon it almost looks like it could be a different sp. Now that very well could be the case... I'm no expert in identifying species and I have not owned any other Lasiodora sp. Also these are my first Lps'. It doesn't matter much to me either way. I love them all and I know time will tell. I just think it's neat how 3 tarantulas that are (presumably) from the same sac can look so different. It's also worth noting, the one that is always first to molt shows almost no adult colors.

*This isn't a thread for ID

Lp1
20231104_144744.jpg

Lp2
20240113_102255.jpg

Lp3
20240113_101959.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
To me this looks like individual variation. Of course nobody can say for 100% certain unless they are a taxonomist who has a chance to closely examine the specimen and/ or its molt.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
i have bred them and i have noticed something similar with the 6 i still have

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
i have bred them and i have noticed something similar with the 6 i still have
I wonder if the speed at which they develope their adult colors has something to do with the strength of the specimen itself?
For example if one that is slow to develope its adult colors would be more likely to have been eaten by a sac mate if not separated.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I had one so unusually colored for a molt I didn’t know if it was still an lp. Because the species tag got lost.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I wonder if the speed at which they develope their adult colors has something to do with the strength of the specimen itself?
For example if one that is slow to develope its adult colors would be more likely to have been eaten by a sac mate if not separated.
i don't think so, but it could be, maybe something about hormones?
i left my part of them together until there were barely any left (cannibalism), seperating larger individuals from the others, and still they each have slightly different colors at similar sizes
perhaps there just is a natural variance