Three new additions (incl. S. calceatum!)

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am so ridiculously jazzed. Looks-wise, S. calceatum is pretty much my favorite species of tarantula. I just find them completely stunning and have always wanted one, but was a little reticent due to their reputation. Well, Nerri had some for sale for a real steal and I just couldn't say no! So I am now the proud owner of two S. calceatum slings. They were much easier to unpack than my T. gigas slings. Cute as all get out though! Here's a (bad) picture of one having its first meal, a nice head-crushed turkistan:

Sorry about the lousy image quality. (And no, the wood isn't moldy; always has looked like that, even with a thorough scrub and bake)

I also got a Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni" from stevetastic as a trade for one of my scorpions. It's a tiny little sling, looks due to molt soon. I'm generally not a huge fan of NW or terrestrial, but I find paysonis to be very attractive.

Finally, on a sad note, one of my T. gigas slings was very unexpectedly dead recently. I haven't really lost a sling before (I did lose an emilia that was sickly from the arrival and in my care less than a week) so it was very upsetting. I'm not sure what happened; it was the bigger, better-feeding sling of my two, had recently molted successful and eaten. No signs of dehydration or any discharge/mites/whatever. Just, dead one day. So sorry little guy; not sure what I did wrong. :(

ETA: I don't think I ever announced it, but I also got a new female G. rosea a few weeks back from a rescue org, free of charge. She wasn't being kept appropriately but was very healthy and I have a soft spot for the species since they were the first I kept. No pics, unfortunately, but she's very pretty.

Last edited:

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grats on your new slings! I got a couple from Nerri myself though yours look a lot bigger and hungrier than mine!{D Also could not resist grabbing a couple because of the price.

TiberiuSahly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the S. calceatum. They really are sweet little devils {D . I recently got one too and he is the jewl of my collection now... Watching him all day.