Thoughts on "Raising" a deceased wolf spider's egg sac

Fappuccino

Arachnopeon
I'm very pained to say the a small project I have set for myself may have failed, I caught a female wolf spider last year and recently she dropped an egg sac ( i don't own a male). But, something didn't go as planned, I know i'm at fault since I took her from my front yard and felt that i could care for her.

But I want to know if there is some way that i can still carry on her legacy.
My plan as of right now is to keep the keep sac in the same enclosure, and move it around through out the day to imitate the actions she took.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the same what they're advice would be.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I'm very pained to say the a small project I have set for myself may have failed, I caught a female wolf spider last year and recently she dropped an egg sac ( i don't own a male). But, something didn't go as planned, I know i'm at fault since I took her from my front yard and felt that i could care for her.

But I want to know if there is some way that i can still carry on her legacy.
My plan as of right now is to keep the keep sac in the same enclosure, and move it around through out the day to imitate the actions she took.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the same what they're advice would be.
This seem like it would work with occasional rolling,like what you do with chicken eggs the biggest problem I can foresee is that they cannot beak the eggsac themselves so it might be worth making a little incision and looking in to see if they have hatched unfortunately I don't know much about the length of time they spend in the sac
I just want to invite @Wolfspidurguy over because he knows what he is doing when it comes to wolf spiders

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I really hate to be a buzzkill, but has she molted in your care? If she hasn't, then the eggsac could very well be viable, but if she's molted since you got her and has had no further interaction with a male, the eggsac would be infertile.

I had a wild caught wolf spider over the summer that laid a fertile sac. I'll see if I can figure out an estimate of how long it took from the eggsac being laid to the babies coming out

Edit to add: So what I was able to find in my media, was that my girl had laid the sac on July 11th, and all the babies were out by August 4th. They were probably out for a few days prior, but that's the best information I can personally give you

Last edited:

The wolf

Arachnolord
I really hate to be a buzzkill, but has she molted in your care? If she hasn't, then the eggsac could very well be viable, but if she's molted since you got her and has had no further interaction with a male, the eggsac would be infertile.

I had a wild caught wolf spider over the summer that laid a fertile sac. I'll see if I can figure out an estimate of how long it took from the eggsac being laid to the babies coming out
I didn't see the whole "last year" thing so yeah I think I agree on that

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I didn't see the whole "last year" thing so yeah I think I agree on that
My boyfriend has an adult female dark fishing spider that after months in captivity and even a molt, ended up laying a phantom sac completely out of the blue, so infertile sacs are always something I consider. Lol

Fappuccino

Arachnopeon
I believe i found her in December (17) or in the months around the very beginning of winters/ very end of fall. and The egg sac appeared a while after in my care around Jan/Feb (18), she never molted but she would take roaches and crickets without fail

The wolf

Arachnolord
I believe i found her in December (17) or in the months around the very beginning of winters/ very end of fall. and The egg sac appeared a while after in my care around Jan/Feb (18), she never molted but she would take roaches and crickets without fail
Possible if not probable it's fertile

Fappuccino

Arachnopeon
will an egg test work with a spider's egg sac, such as setting the sac on to a small phone light and trying to see if the eggs i see have life ?

The wolf

Arachnolord
will an egg test work with a spider's egg sac, such as setting the sac on to a small phone light and trying to see if the eggs i see have life ?
It would be difficult as when in the egg they have no hard parts that light wouldn't shine through

Veles

Arachnobaron
If the eggs are fertile than yeah,you can raise them.
Just watch to provide them high enough temperature.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
This seem like it would work with occasional rolling,like what you do with chicken eggs the biggest problem I can foresee is that they cannot beak the eggsac themselves so it might be worth making a little incision and looking in to see if they have hatched unfortunately I don't know much about the length of time they spend in the sac
I just want to invite @Wolfspidurguy over because he knows what he is doing when it comes to wolf spiders
First of all thanks for inviting me over to this thread. Now second thing idk much about wolf spider sacs in general but I do know about incubating sacs. I'm not entirely sure if keeping eggs stationary would cause too much of a problem. Now as for the spiderlings not able to make there way out of the sac I would say make an incubator. What I do for sacs is I grab an enclosure, cut a big hole in the lid and tape a coffee filter over it put the tape on THE INSIDE OF THE LID, then I take a small container fill it with water and tape a coffee filter over that and I open the sac and place the eggs on to of that coffee filter water thing and put it in the enclosure with the coffee filter lid. When your done you should have something that looks like this
1521505326970391181265.jpg
I use this method to hatch all my sacs but I've been told it's not necessary for all sacs but I do it just to be safe. But if the wolfer dropped the sac there must be a reason are you sure it's not just infertile or something?