Thoughts on CD Case Enclosures for Slings/Juvenile Ts?

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
As many of you may have seen on various Youtube channels, including The Dark Den, people have been constructing small box terrariums for their Ts out of old CD cases. After watching a few videos I made one (after a few mess ups) and put my juvenile rose hair in. Then i took my own twist on it and made a even larger dimension one for my Zebra Knee. Has anyone else done this and had problems? It seems to hold humidity well and they are just cool looking to begin with. But just like many other things there may be a few pin points that the videos dont cover that T owners should watch out for when doing this. Leave comments and view my picture !

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's been done as you know. I would be concerned with just how much humidity it does hold. Moist stuffy cages kill Ts fast. And from what I can see in that pic, your T is on the road to death. You need holes for ventilation from what I can see. Unless the container is super breezy.

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
It's been done as you know. I would be concerned with just how much humidity it does hold. Moist stuffy cages kill Ts fast. And from what I can see in that pic, your T is on the road to death. You need holes for ventilation from what I can see. Unless the container is super breezy.

There are 8 small holes in almost a beehive shape on the top of the enclosure, and small ones in each corner

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is not enough ventilation imo. I would add at least two more rows on top, and much more on the side.
Also...can you please refer to your spiders by their proper species name? 'zebra knee' can be used to describe about six different species.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
By "Zebra Knee" do you mean A. seemanni or another species? If so that's not really an ideal enclosure setup for one.

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
By "Zebra Knee" do you mean A. seemanni or another species? If so that's not really an ideal enclosure setup for one.
Seemani, and heres a picture of his enclosure, he has made a nice burrow under his cork bark.

Attachments

NukaMedia Exotics

Seemani, and heres a picture of his enclosure, he has made a nice burrow under his cork bark.
That's not really a "burrow", this species will actually dig down and make a burrow/tunnel system so I'd recommend filling that up like halfway with substrate.

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
That's not really a "burrow", this species will actually dig down and make a burrow/tunnel system so I'd recommend filling that up like halfway with substrate.

Theres something I didnt know, i will definetly make some enclosure adjustments today, Im always worried my T is gonna hold some resentment against me anytime i adjust or add something to their house but in this case itll only do good, thanks!

NukaMedia Exotics

Theres something I didnt know, i will definetly make some enclosure adjustments today, Im always worried my T is gonna hold some resentment against me anytime i adjust or add something to their house but in this case itll only do good, thanks!
No problem, I'm sure it'll appreciate it. Here's a photo of mine, not the best picture but you can see how the hide is buried to give it a place to start the burrow. On the right there is a tunnel entrance that it made which goes around the side to connect with the burrow. (Note: My T is about 4.5" and there's about 4-5" of substrate in the enclosure with it varying from side to side. I also took out that log as it took up too much space).
IMG_0173.JPG

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
No problem, I'm sure it'll appreciate it. Here's a photo of mine, not the best picture but you can see how the hide is buried to give it a place to start the burrow. On the right there is a tunnel entrance that it made which goes around the side to connect with the burrow. (Note: My T is about 4.5" and there's about 4-5" of substrate in the enclosure with it varying from side to side. I also took out that log as it took up too much space).
View attachment 270737

Very pretty spider, cant wait till mine gets that size. So he was a little reluctant to let me fill up under his burrow area but i added a good bit more substrate to the rest of the enclosure.

Attachments

NukaMedia Exotics

Very pretty spider, cant wait till mine gets that size. So he was a little reluctant to let me fill up under his burrow area but i added a good bit more substrate to the rest of the enclosure.
If you get a chance the way to do it would be to get the T out in the middle and use a catch cup to get it out of the enclosure while you add more sub. Once again I'd say like halfway full with a little starter burrow for it to dig into.

grammastolla54

Arachnopeon
As many of you may have seen on various Youtube channels, including The Dark Den, people have been constructing small box terrariums for their Ts out of old CD cases. After watching a few videos I made one (after a few mess ups) and put my juvenile rose hair in. Then i took my own twist on it and made a even larger dimension one for my Zebra Knee. Has anyone else done this and had problems? It seems to hold humidity well and they are just cool looking to begin with. But just like many other things there may be a few pin points that the videos dont cover that T owners should watch out for when doing this. Leave comments and view my picture !
that is the coolest home ive seen in a while lmao:) awsome job! and great looking tiger :p

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
that is the coolest home ive seen in a while lmao:) awsome job! and great looking tiger :p
Thank you so much! She certainly has been adapting just fine since I got her. Glad to see the Ts like the enclosure as much as I do, affordable and convenient!