Thoughts on a H. lividum planted Vivarium?

Luke

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone! I recently obtained a new H. lividum and I was thinking of housing it it in a planted viv eventually (much like a dart frog set up)similar to this one:

A couple of concerns/questions have arisen.

1. Is this possible? lol I know that Haplos have a high humidity requirement but would keeping it in a planted viv be too much or an insufficient amount of moisture?

2. Would the set up be okay for a haplo? Planted vivs for dart frogs normally have a false bottom or gravel at the bottom for drainage but would this be bad for a H. lividum? (My concern is soil depth)

3. Are Springtails okay to keep in with Haplos? I have heard of using isopods to combat mold growth but not springtails yet.

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!

Luke

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I don't see a point given their attitude. Your lividum would just burrow and you won't be able to enjoy the contrast between the plants and him, probably.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
sounds like a good idea but most likely a small dish would be needed like a bottle lid. so nothing heavy falls if she burrows.. also i believe thed probably tear it to bits most likely reorange it and dig up any plants. and ofcourse webbing everywhere :p

springtails and isopods should be fine.also would need to be deeper sub id imagine

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A lividum would eventually cover most of that with silk. A number of OW terrestrials spin a lot. I think a much better choice would be some of the NW terrestrials that like to be out in the open and don't spin much.

Luke

Arachnosquire
Well I knew that this species were pet holes. lol. Part of the reason I wanted to use a planted viv was so that I didn't just have a jar of dirt to look at..(at least there would be cool lookin' plants..) haha. But what about other species of Haplos like minax or albostriatum? I know I've seen videos of them in enclosures without serious webbing...Guess it could have just that particular spider though..

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A lividum would eventually cover most of that with silk. A number of OW terrestrials spin a lot. I think a much better choice would be some of the NW terrestrials that like to be out in the open and don't spin much.
+1 Yeah Phamphos, & other big NW Ts are a better species or Goliath, for high moisture set up like this.

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

Well I knew that this species were pet holes. lol. Part of the reason I wanted to use a planted viv was so that I didn't just have a jar of dirt to look at..(at least there would be cool lookin' plants..) haha. But what about other species of Haplos like minax or albostriatum? I know I've seen videos of them in enclosures without serious webbing...Guess it could have just that particular spider though..

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Well they are a cool T pet hole, I would not waste a Plant set up with them since they live underground. Its buying a plant , for a pet burrower.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your lividum will ruin the plants trust me haha Also if you encounter any issues with live plants, such as they die or attract unwanted biological life then it is going to be a lot trickier to regulate it with a burrowing species as these things may directly affect the substrate, if you find you need to remove a plant you may also find yourself in the position of having to ruin your Ts burrow also.

I also agree it would be better to put a NW terrestrial in there, a large A.genic would look fantastic

I've tried live plants a few times but in the end I always had the remove them as their care contradicted the Ts requirements (I'm not much of a green thumb though lol) Be careful in your selection of plants =)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Your lividum will ruin the plants trust me haha Also if you encounter any issues with live plants, such as they die or attract unwanted biological life then it is going to be a lot trickier to regulate it with a burrowing species as these things may directly affect the substrate, if you find you need to remove a plant you may also find yourself in the position of having to ruin your Ts burrow also.

I also agree it would be better to put a NW terrestrial in there, a large A.genic would look fantastic

I've tried live plants a few times but in the end I always had the remove them as their care contradicted the Ts requirements (I'm not much of a green thumb though lol) Be careful in your selection of plants =)
+1 Pothos plants work well for anything that's not bone dry. Put them by waterdish, I through some parts of my big plant in too grow roots a lot of them survived.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
+1 Pothos plants work well for anything that's not bone dry. Put them by waterdish, I through some parts of my big plant in too grow roots a lot of them survived.
works fine for my rosea..well one did. but mine that lived is in a pot in the sub. but i have a rather green thumb... but then again i have resurrection ferns in my genics and shes shredded them -.- so plants and T's is a risk

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
works fine for my rosea..well one did. but mine that lived is in a pot in the sub. but i have a rather green thumb... but then again i have resurrection ferns in my genics and shes shredded them -.- so plants and T's is a risk
Really none of my Ts chewed on Potho's my OBT are not agressive except males. You have to disturb them to get a threat pose, and I do not prod my Ts.