This spider is absolutely gorgeous!

KorgothTheWolf

Arachnopeon
Not sure what type of spider this is but it looks like a wolf spider, shape and eye orientation is right but I have never seen one with this type of pattern and color and with such fuzzy legs/abdomen. She darted out from behind my mint planter I have nailed to my tree, when I would get a little too close she would run sideways and nestle down flat against the tree when she thought she found a good spot to camouflage into.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Not sure what type of spider this is but it looks like a wolf spider, shape and eye orientation is right but I have never seen one with this type of pattern and color and with such fuzzy legs/abdomen.
That is a fishing spider (family Pisauridae, genus Dolomedes). Based on the white band on the clypeus (the little "mustache" on its face), it is most likely a whitebanded fishing spider (Dolomedes albineus). Here is a similar-looking specimen.

Cool find. I don't find fishing spiders nearly as often as I'd like.

KorgothTheWolf

Arachnopeon
That is a fishing spider (family Pisauridae, genus Dolomedes). Based on the white band on the clypeus (the little "mustache" on its face), it is most likely a whitebanded fishing spider (Dolomedes albineus). Here is a similar-looking specimen.

That's it, thanks! These are gorgeous, my new favorite local fluffy critters behind jumpers.

keks

Arachnobaron
A wonderful spider, I just found a video on youtube , that's a big one (and no scare for me at all ^^)! :wideyed:
Now I search for "fishing spiders" hopefully in German language -.-" ....
(I hope I am allowed to give the link?)

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

those seem really hard and expensive to take care of because they need a semi aquatic tank although i do have a 2.5 gal beta tank i was gonna use for a jumper but it had too many openings so i could theoretically use that and plug up the openings to the best of my ability but im already selling it to my friend :p

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
those seem really hard and expensive to take care of because they need a semi aquatic tank
Despite their common name, there are species of fishing spider that don't need to live on or near water. Two that come to mind are Dolomedes tenebrosus and Dolomedes albineus. You can pretty much set them up like wolf spiders, but give them places to climb. (In nature, they often lie in wait on vertical surfaces.)

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Despite their common name, there are species of fishing spider that don't need to live on or near water. Two that come to mind are Dolomedes tenebrosus and Dolomedes albineus. You can pretty much set them up like wolf spiders, but give them places to climb. (In nature, they often lie in wait on vertical surfaces.)
Cool