This sounds weird

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
I just bought a golden Texas millipede today at an expo and when I got it home I let it on my hand it started to bite my hand obviously it didn't hurt but it felt weird, I thought it was super hungry so I gave it lettuce but after it was done eating I picked it up and tried it again, but he started doing it again maybe he was eating the dead skin off of my hand of drinking the little sweat on my hand? Any body else see this happen??

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, my Texas Golds do the same thing. It doesn't feel like a bite so much as a light scraping sensation - like dragging my pinky nail lightly across my palm. I'm guessing that they're after salt or trace minerals of some sort.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Yes exactly, that is odd because all of my others don't do that but then again this is a bigger species of pedes so their mouths I guess can do some damage lol I'm sure if I let it do its thing nothing would ever come out of it but it's just an odd feeling

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I like that feeling. You know, they only do that when they love you! :kiss:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Careful not to let them do it for too long. I let my old ivory hold on for too long and she just dug in deeper and deeper. It was quite a bad pinch. Now, any (non-venomous) bugs that try to bite me get a light discouraging tap on the abdomen - not hard enough to injure, of course. It seems to work pretty well.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Careful not to let them do it for too long. I let my old ivory hold on for too long and she just dug in deeper and deeper. It was quite a bad pinch. Now, any (non-venomous) bugs that try to bite me get a light discouraging tap on the abdomen - not hard enough to injure, of course. It seems to work pretty well.
I handled it later that night and it seemed not to do that again. Maybe it was scared I was going to hurt it but after being fed and put in an enclosure he/she seemed pretty happy

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
My millipede does this now and again. I just mark it down as a "bug thing" that they sometimes do.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Every single one of my Narceus does this and it actually hurts, especially when they bite between my fingers. I don't handle them often as a result. I've been bitten by millipedes but never centipedes. Go figure.

Orthoporus are actually kind of bloodthirsty. You can feed them dead insects right in your hand.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Every single one of my Narceus does this and it actually hurts, especially when they bite between my fingers. I don't handle them often as a result. I've been bitten by millipedes but never centipedes. Go figure.

Orthoporus are actually kind of bloodthirsty. You can feed them dead insects right in your hand.
Mmm I know they eat dead crickets but I'm assuming all millipedes do. It has yet to do it again and I handle it frequently

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
I find any of the ones I have are different in their personalities. Out of my deserts, there is one who nibbles on me a bit then sorta just started crawling around.
I think sometimes it is more of a curiosity thing than a defensive thing for that one.
The other two deserts I have are more likely to poop than bite.