This sounds cruel but...I enjoy watching my Vinegaroon pulverize mealworms

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
It's honestly a cool process. I fed her for the first time i've had her, and it was a cool process. I turned two mealworms loose and let her be for an hour. I came back, and saw her flattening one, mashing it to pieces. It was honestly an awesome process to watch. Not sure where the other mealworm went, but i'm sure she'll dig it up and it will meet the same fate...eventually lol.

BTW, is it important that she be fed a variety of foods, or is a just-mealworm diet ok for her? The people at the store I purchased her fed her just crickets and she was fit as a fiddle.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Um.....while many places would think you needed help. Here you are among those who share your fascination of what our guests do. Some of the most excited comments on these forums come from feeding responses.

When purchasing feeders I often make comments relating to the feeders lack of longevity.

"insulated bag? No need, they'll be sacrificed to the spider god soon enough"

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's honestly a cool process. I fed her for the first time i've had her, and it was a cool process. I turned two mealworms loose and let her be for an hour. I came back, and saw her flattening one, mashing it to pieces. It was honestly an awesome process to watch. Not sure where the other mealworm went, but i'm sure she'll dig it up and it will meet the same fate...eventually lol.

BTW, is it important that she be fed a variety of foods, or is a just-mealworm diet ok for her? The people at the store I purchased her fed her just crickets and she was fit as a fiddle.
Unfortunately if your beautiful lass moults and hasn't killed the meal worm it could become her downfall. Meal worms will eat moulting inverts.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately if your beautiful lass moults and hasn't killed the meal worm it could become her downfall. Meal worms will eat moulting inverts.
Goodness. Eh, i'm not surprised. I'll be sure to take it out ASAP-that is if she hasn't flattened it lmao

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I'm yet to give my lass a meal worm. I'll have to resolve that the next time I feed her.
Yeah, it's initially hard for them to catch on the surface, but eventually they pin them up against a corner and it's all over. I'm probably gonna get larger mealworms or earthworms so she can get a better grip on them (not even lying she ambled right over the first mealworm).

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think most people do, even if they wouldn't admit it. For me, ninety percent of the pleasure was always in the feeding process, and I would not feed live if I could avoid it...but that 10% bloodlust is always hiding in there somewhere

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I love watching my spiders and my scorpion eat. It's honestly one of my favorite parts about keeping them.

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
I love feeding time.

Lots of people out there would think we have 'issues' but... its just so interesting.
and really, its just nature too, this is how they would behave in the wild, and the ultimate fate of most feeder species in the wild anyway, so its not any more cruel than actual nature.

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
I can understand why its fascinating, definitely, as I'll also watch my spiders hunt. I do feel bad about directly feeding the insect to the T, so often i'll put a few in the enclosure with a bit of cricket food. Now, I don't do this with slings or T's in premoult, but I find it at least gives them a chance not to crawl into the tarantula den, haha. I've had crickets live for months in my T cage, being slowly picked off...or just flat out growing and chirping for a loong time haha.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
First off your vinegaroon isn't going to dig up the mealworm... You don't want to leave live mealworms in the T's enclosure to bury because they can turn into beetles and kill your T, always crush their heads before dropping them in the enclosure. Feeding is definitely a cool process to watch, and its not absolutely necessary to give them a varied diet but it is better for the T in the long run.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

We all love watching our inverts brutally murder there prey that's why when we hear about one that kills In a unique way we instantly want one and that's also why I spent an hour trying to see if my T sling was hungry. It wasn't :/

I love feeding time.

Lots of people out there would think we have 'issues' but... its just so interesting.
and really, its just nature too, this is how they would behave in the wild, and the ultimate fate of most feeder species in the wild anyway, so its not any more cruel than actual nature.
Yeah like would you put someone in jail for watching a documentary where a predator catches and eats it's prey

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
Yeah like would you put someone in jail for watching a documentary where a predator catches and eats it's prey
Same people who would say we're troubled / disturbed / etc have no problems watching David Attenborough / Animal Planet documentaries and I don't really see the difference :meh:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cruelty is deliberate malice aforethought with the cerebral ability to discern the consequences of your actions.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Fed my lass a morio today. Recorded the act and took pictures. So if you're weird for liking to watch your vinegaroon hunt then I must be perverse........ ha ha ha.

Veles

Arachnobaron
We all love watching our inverts brutally murder there prey that's why when we hear about one that kills In a unique way we instantly want one and that's also why I spent an hour trying to see if my T sling was hungry. It wasn't :/
That indeed is one of the most interesting prospect of keeping predatory inverts

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
First off your vinegaroon isn't going to dig up the mealworm... You don't want to leave live mealworms in the T's enclosure to bury because they can turn into beetles and kill your T, always crush their heads before dropping them in the enclosure. Feeding is definitely a cool process to watch, and its not absolutely necessary to give them a varied diet but it is better for the T in the long run.
ok thanks. I'm dead sure *pun intended* she already killed 'em, but thanks for the advice, i'll definitely do that. They metamorphosis into Darklings, correct?