This is Why You Don't Brown Box

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I know this is with venomous snakes but the same could apply to tarantulas. Get your Ts legally imported and make sure you know if an animal you are getting online is protected.

This guy could get 20 years for a few snakes. Not really worth it to me.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Or he could roll on his supplier, invite them to the US for a "grand opening," get him arrested as soon as he steps off the plane and get a slap on the wrist and still be able to keep his import license. You know kinda of like that well known tarantula dealer. For those that don't know who I'm talking about, type 'Operation Spiderman' into search. ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Or he could roll on his supplier, invite them to the US for a "grand opening," get him arrested as soon as he steps off the plane and get a slap on the wrist and still be able to keep his import license. You know kinda of like that well known tarantula dealer.
Well there is always that. I can understand a lighter sentence but it still boggles the mind to think they let him keep his import license. I know they are likely watching everything he does but come one. That's just kinda tacky.

'Operation Spiderman'
Really, that's what they called it? While clever I can't help but roll my eyes.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Or he could roll on his supplier, invite them to the US for a "grand opening," get him arrested as soon as he steps off the plane and get a slap on the wrist and still be able to keep his import license. You know kinda of like that well known tarantula dealer. For those that don't know who I'm talking about, type 'Operation Spiderman' into search. ;)
I'm an aspiring writer, I should use that as inspiration. Imagine the layman?

"Tarantula smuggling? How unrealistic! 1 out of 5 stars."

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Honestly, depending on the kind of turtle he was talking about shipping, he could very well get more time for that. Theres a species thats a popular traditional cuisine over there thats recently been banned from capture/consumption because of how endangered they are. Id put money on that being the species he was shipping, too.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Seen another article not too long ago of an airport scan that clearly showed snakes coiled up in some round containers. Not sure if it resulted in anyones arrest though, but they were confiscated.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
This is the pet center USA owner, right?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Uhm, not even in Italy we have some strict rules, I have to admit. Just after the ban of arachnids of 2003 a man was caught near the Slovenia (Prez Trump Melania's domain) Friuli Venezia Giulia border with his car full of T's, almost 600. Full brow boxing in car style... he had trouble only for three/four 'Brachy' because those are under CITES, and he had no paper available if I recall right.

Nex

Arachnopeon
"Charged with illegally importing merchandise." What about animal cruelty? Did you guys read about the idiots stuffing parrots tightly into plastic bottles and smuggling them. Almost 50% of them die. I would love to get my hands on these lowlife scum and do the same thing to them...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
A man was arrested on federal smuggling charges Tuesday after customs officers intercepted a shipment with three live king cobras hidden inside potato chip canisters that were being mailed to his California home, U.S. prosecutors said.
Once you pop, you stop.

Leila

Arachnobaron
This is the pet center USA owner, right?
I am a tad confused.

So...I read an old thread about that guy you've mentioned, right? And then I see @advan's mention of Operation Spiderman, so I check out that material because it sounded familiar, but

But? They seem to be two totally different people who were both involved in smuggling, but not related in any way?

Confused as heck..lol. Maybe I am just delirious. (I need sleep)

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He gets more than child molestors, more than people who's pitbulls kill people. What a great country we live in.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
He gets more than child molestors, more than people who's pitbulls kill people. What a great country we live in.
Why do people feel the need to compare those things? What should be the penalty for smuggling dangerous endanger animals into a country? How does that need to equate to a child molester or bad owners who had pets kill people? Heck, we shouldn't even look twice at the guy beating his wife since he barely did anything compared to a murder. Maybe we should give the litter bug a medal since he is barely doing anything compared to those other guys. How does that logic even fit?

He knew what the penalty was when he had those animals sent to him. If he didn't well then ignorance isn't really an excuse. It isn't like he didn't know those were illegal. He broke the law and is getting the penalty for doing so.

Also, the amount of the sentence is most likely because of the number counts he is charged with. Just like the child molester with 5 counts gets more time than the one with 2. So does the dangerous endanger animal smuggler that has likely smuggled at least 8 dangerous endangered animals internationally.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm soooo glad I live here in the good old UK - to compare murderers and rapists in the same sentence as an endangered animal smuggler is just ridiculous, should they be serving the same amount of jail time - for sure, they know the law - break it and you pay the piper. When all is said and done whether the laws are ridiculous or not they are there for a reason, a bloody good one.[EDIT] Do I think they should be treated the same way as a murderer or a rapist or any of these heinous criminals - of course not, but unfortunately these are the laws of your country, break them and you are going to pay. Whether you agree or not the law is written in black and white.

Last edited: