This is why they call them "Orange Bitey Things".....

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can guarantee you that 99% of the people who are seriously into the hobby know what OBT means.

It amazes me how people can nit pick on accepted nickname yet neglect to use proper scientific forms when typing species names.

It's Pterinochilus murinus, not Pterinochilus murinus. If you're going to be anal about "proper naming" and stuff like that, be consistent.

That's the piont......you call it Pterinochilus murinus......which is right......no doubt at all what you are talking about.
OBT....orange bitey thing......orange baboon......where does it end ?
You guys call them what you like but I think it makes it easier using scientific names.......your choice.

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spit not sure why you're so confused.

This is a thread that you posted earlier today

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166066

the title of that thread contains H. mac

You didn't call your spider Heteroscodra maculata or at the least H. maculata in your title of the post which makes you sound hypocritical when you jump on someone for using "OBT". You didn't use the correct name which makes you telling someone else to do so sound rather comical in my mind.

I will also point out that you are the ONLY person I have ever come across on here that constantly points out that we are on the "other side of the pond", it being "our" board, throws insults at people and somehow labels us North Americans as all the same and of lower intelligence.

To me this is a forum where people speak a common language and have the same passion. I don't see borders on this forum I see a group of people that like to converse about the same things. I'm not sure what your beef is with people living in NA but I'm tired of your derogatory comments aimed at us living "on the other side of the pond".

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H.mac is surely better than ...togo starburst baboon ?
In case you did not know,that is the common numpty name....lmfao......did you know out of interest ??????

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can guarantee you that 99% of the people who are seriously into the hobby know what OBT means.

It amazes me how people can nit pick on accepted nickname yet neglect to use proper scientific forms when typing species names.

It's Pterinochilus murinus, not Pterinochilus murinus. If you're going to be anal about "proper naming" and stuff like that, be consistent.
I just copied and posted from an earlier post.....so sorry.
It also has nothing to do with being spot on....If peeps made an effort to type the scientific names,they would get all the help they needed because they showed that they were interested in learning and carrying the hobby forward.
I love spiders,snakes,frogs and scorps....as well as dogs .....I just want us all to seem like we know what we are talkning about

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just copied and posted from an earlier post.....so sorry.
It also has nothing to do with being spot on....If peeps made an effort to type the scientific names,they would get all the help they needed because they showed that they were interested in learning and carrying the hobby forward.
I love spiders,snakes,frogs and scorps....as well as dogs .....I just want us all to seem like we know what we are talkning about
so do you call all your dogs, snakes, and frogs by their scientific name. ;P

And I'm sure anyone who used OBT would get just as much help as someone who posted P. murinus because most everyone knows what an OBT is. Its a widely accepted nickname, and not one of those messed up ones that could mean anything. I mean, come on, find me one other defensive "bitey" orange tarantula. Or any thing that looks remotely like a green bottle blue.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if anyone searches "spits" username you will find that he is an instigator of many threads...almost troll like..he has gone from calling americans quote on quote "pussies" , "yanks" . this is nothing new...just the way he is:wall:

yet another rude newcomer to the boards if you ask me:rolleyes:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if anyone searches "spits" username you will find that he is an instigator of many threads...almost troll like..he has gone from calling americans quote on quote "pussies" , "yanks" . this is nothing new...just the way he is:wall:

Not only that, but look at his user profile....he admits to owning an "OBT" as well as a few others listed with common names. *slinking off now*

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

He's probably having a midlife crisis and is compensating for his own feelings of inadaquacy by trolling peoples posts and handling dangerous animals....ether that or he's just a puffed up braggart. :rolleyes:

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Hmmm.....

I don't understand how many of my threads eventually become debates.

Maybe I should've just named this thread "Agressive Pterinochilus murinus".

Ah, what the heck, debate away!
Hi Warren!

Please accept my apologies for participating in de-railing your thread! :eek:

Your post (quoted above) made me laugh! You are funny Warren! - and ever so upbeat and optimistic.

Again, sorry I contributed to de-railing your thread. I love watching the videos you post on AB! Keep up the good work! You rock!

:D

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with what your saying... to a point but I also think holding hot species sets a bad example:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
I'm not sure which posting you are referring to, but since the last pic spit had in this thread was of him holding a funnel web spider Macrothele gigas, I'm going to make a guess that you were confusing this spider with another funnel web, Atrax robustus. There are a lot of different kinds of funnel webs out there - not all have the reputation of the Sydney funnel web (Atrax). If that's what you were chastising him for - I suspect you fell into a trap of paying attention to the common name rather than the scientific name.

But then again, I know spit has posted other pictures of him holding controversial species - so maybe you had something else in mind.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not only that, but look at his user profile....he admits to owning an "OBT" as well as a few others listed with common names. *slinking off now*
I just took a look and found...

"OBT,king baboon,straight horned baboon (marshalli),stout legged baboon"

My my my, OBT and look at all those common names, and here you are flipping out on us for using OBT. :embarrassed:

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine just turn their "2" tails and run..............Unless you go messing with them, LOL.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

+1 .

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I went into a rep shop today and they had a T that had the tag "salmon pink goliath".
A newbie goes in and thinks it's a pink toe goliath,sets up an arborreal tank and said "pink toe" falls off the high top and dies.
It is in fact a Lasiodora parahybana.
If they would have had that tag on the tank.....no confusion and no risk of killing the T.
Paul
I thought Pink-toed (/footed) Goliaths were T. apophysis?

Why in the world would you set up an arboreal tank for a T. apophysis?

Goliath Pink Toes are Avicularia braunshauseni. ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

+2!

Ignore him... and he will go away ;)

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure which posting you are referring to, but since the last pic spit had in this thread was of him holding a funnel web spider Macrothele gigas, I'm going to make a guess that you were confusing this spider with another funnel web, Atrax robustus. There are a lot of different kinds of funnel webs out there - not all have the reputation of the Sydney funnel web (Atrax). If that's what you were chastising him for - I suspect you fell into a trap of paying attention to the common name rather than the scientific name.

But then again, I know spit has posted other pictures of him holding controversial species - so maybe you had something else in mind.
I was referring to the Androctonus australis handling pics Bill S but good lookin out.:D

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was out of order and I apologise to all on this excellent forum.
Please accept my apologies,I am sorry guys.
Been a long day but that is in no way your fault guys....
I am trying to say........SORRY
Paul
I just had to catch this and it was not easy.....
...You might want to try posting a new thread and inserting the photo instead of overthrowing Warren's thread by posting a photo of a true spider that's completely off topic from the OBT thread.

Oh, gosh. I said OBT. Oops ;)

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have to agre that scientific names are better.
If you say Mexican redleg to a ex. a russian guy he might look like a question mark but if you say Brachypelma behmei he will know exactly what you mean:)

night4now

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly

I love the video!!! Headbutting the log in its quest to kill the light! Perfect!

And on a side: For those of us that are not too far from newbies, seeing things like 'obt' or 'rose hair' or 'pink toe' is really helpful. When I started, had people not used these terms, when I searched the internet to find out about T's, I would never have found the board.
I went to the pet store, saw 'rose hair', and went home and searched it to find out it was really a G rosea. They go hand in hand really. Never have I seen a LPS with a scientific name. If we didnt use them here, to put us on the top of these searches, how would any noob ever know the scientific name?!?!?

Last edited: