This is why they call them "Orange Bitey Things".....

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a problem with using generally acceptable and commonly known "nicknames" for some species now?
I don't think so. There's only a few that I can think of. OBT, GBB, and maybe Pokie's and Rosie's. That's about it.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went into a rep shop today and they had a T that had the tag "salmon pink goliath".
A newbie goes in and thinks it's a pink toe goliath,sets up an arborreal tank and said "pink toe" falls off the high top and dies.
It is in fact a Lasiodora parahybana.
If they would have had that tag on the tank.....no confusion and no risk of killing the T.
Paul
The point is mute. Pet store employees will never learn scientific names so your point is mute. I get what you are trying to say but there's no point. Pet stores are out to make money, they honestly don't care if they get the name right.

For all of those "newbies" that don't know the proper name (whether it be scientific or common) that's what these boards are for.. help and information.

As far as your comments go in regards to Mad Hatter and What, they've been around here a lot longer than you have and deserve FAR more respect than that. Both are wonderful, intelligent people. There's no call for immature, shallow comments from you or anyone else who don't know them :embarrassed:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no.....it is your forum and not mine.
you guys have to do whatever you think is best.
Not to flame or anything, but if it's "Our Forum," then why bother trying to correct us "Clowns???" If it's not your forum also, then why are you even a member???

Common names are something I refrain from using, unless it's a universal desigation. OBT, GBB, PinkToe, Rosie......everyone knows what they are anyway. I think it's just splitting hairs when you refer to one of those (especially the GBB being the only member of it's genus) by a scientific name unless it's pertinent to do so. In this case, the OP was making a video to illustrate why the P. murinus "RCF / Usumbara" earned their nickname.

Again Spit, this is not to flame or set you off in any way, but I think these may be valid points that you are overlooking.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha..yup, thats looks like a few of mine as well(look t my avatar;) )

and if anyone needs one or want some i have some ill let go(roughly 1.5 to 2 inches)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was out of order and I apologise to all on this excellent forum.
Please accept my apologies,I am sorry guys.
Been a long day but that is in no way your fault guys....
I am trying to say........SORRY
Paul
I just had to catch this and it was not easy.....

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just really glad you clowns don't post on the BTS forum
Pretty sure you just posted a H. mac sexing thread. That would be Heteroscodra maculata or at the very least H. maculata. Using the correct scientific name is after all essential is it not?

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty sure you just posted a H. mac sexing thread. That would be Heteroscodra maculata or at the very least H. maculata. Using the correct scientific name is after all essential is it not?
POWNED {D

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a funnel web
Macrothele gigas........
Bit different from H.mac although I did re-house one earlier.
Maybe not as deadly though......lol
Nice you guys....funnel web......H.mac.....they look similar........lol

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a funnel web
Macrothele gigas........
Bit different from H.mac although I did re-house one earlier.
Maybe not as deadly though......lol
Nice you guys....funnel web......H.mac.....they look similar........lol
I think he meant here
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166066

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The spid I am handling looks a tad different though
The H.maculata was earlier
macrothele gigas......dead
H.maculata..............bad day

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The spid I am handling looks a tad different though
The H.maculata was earlier
macrothele gigas......dead
H.maculata..............bad day
Spit man. I think you are really missing the point here. No one cares about your Macrothele gigas. They are refering to the fact that you used what could be considered a nick name in your thread about your "H. mac".

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm.....

I don't understand how many of my threads eventually become debates.

Maybe I should've just named this thread "Agressive Pterinochilus murinus".

Ah, what the heck, debate away!

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm.....

I don't understand how many of my threads eventually become debates.

Maybe I should've just named this thread "Agressive Pterinochilus murinus".

Ah, what the heck, debate away!
That's the piont......you call it Pterinochilus murinus......which is right......no doubt at all what you are talking about.
OBT....orange bitey thing......orange baboon......where does it end ?
You guys call them what you like but I think it makes it easier using scientific names.......your choice.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's the piont......you call it Pterinochilus murinus......which is right......no doubt at all what you are talking about.
OBT....orange bitey thing......orange baboon......where does it end ?
You guys call them what you like but I think it makes it easier using scientific names.......your choice.
I agree with what your saying... to a point but I also think holding hot species sets a bad example:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

especially posting it in multiple threads......