This is what it feels like...

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tonight i had a bit of a runny nose due to allergies, so while i was out on my patio i decided to blow my nose on some paper towel that was laying there so innocently enough.... did not realize that was the paper towel the tarantulas i ordered from Reptist were packaged in. Blew my nose, wiped it real good on the inside, and had an instant burning and itching sensation (not to mention a drip of snot coming out like a river), that was god awful. My right eye started to water, so what did i do? YEP i wiped my eye real good with that paper towel. Anybody that knows what the hairs feel like should be able to respect the nature of this, and the hairs do nothing to my skin.... turns out, when it comes to the nose and eyes thats the not the case though. This is my a couple minutes after figuring out my stupid mistake...

God this hurts....

Left eye is not so bad....

But the right eye, getting that open was a different story... ouch

Next time i would rather get bit by ANY species then go through what im going through right now. This is worse in some ways than getting gassed in the Army. Very very very unpleasant.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I don't even want to imagine what that would feel like, given that the effect on my skin is nasty enough from some species (ex. Nhandu sp.). Hope it will pass soon man.

onion

Arachnopeon
ouch , it sounds like realy bad feeling, I hope not to do such a mistake never!
get well soon man !

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats what you get for keeping silly NW hair flickers, OW all the way! J/K but makes me glad I decided to specialize in OW T's.
Rev

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ZYRTEC!!! That stuff is a miracle drug for me as I am very sensitive to their hairs!

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This gets me thinkin bout a Jethro Tull song:rolleyes:

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats so funny! but man I got to give it to you for sure... I couldnt imagine what that feels like... I've been itching myself on my neck and stuff, for the past week or so, moving everyone around, and stuff... its been an itchy week for sure, but I feel for you....

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd be freebasing bendryl if that happened to me. Man, that sucks. Hope you feel better.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel for you and believe me, I know your pain. Once after chopping a pile of red hot peppers I had an itchy nose. Yep, I scratched and rubbed it all over inside and out and then found I had an itchy eye too. Ditto, rubbing good and deep.

A few moments of calm before the storm and BAM! :eek: My whole face was on fire. Water was not enough, time only healed that wound.

I suggest a mucous membrane transplant!

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hopefully it wasn't a blondi's urticating hairs ;P

That must feel god awful regardless of species..... hope it clears up soon.

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so I was laughing at you earlier, and now, well I've done something stupid... see what you did!!!! jk!

I just got some crickets yesterday, I hate keeping them in the bag, and rarely buy them... So I was thinking about putting them in an empty container or something... Well, my former T. apophysis container looked good, of course I didnt think about it, with the substrate and matted hairs all over and mixed in the soil... Needless to say, I have about 2 dozen crickets in there, and I've been feeding, and wondering why in who's name am I itching so bad.?.. Then I start thinking about, "am I itching from yesterday", am I itching from one of the T's that I was feeding" I couldnt figure it out, until I started thinking about this thread again. And dont you know while I was setting up the place I moved the soil and stuff all around and really got my hands dirty... I'm an idoit, lol. and now I'm kicking my butt and scratching all at the same time...

Thats got to make you feel a little better about your situation. hope you feel better

Stamper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dang man. that looks painfull hope you get to feeling better

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man that sucked! LOL... I thought it was going to last a lot longer than it did. Took me forever to get to sleep, when i woke up it still burned a bit, now its barely noticeable. I am going to be much more careful in the future. Thanks for the replies, and yep, I am still here :p.
Cheers

(In case anyone was wondering, flushing your eyes does very little... it seems to be something you just have to basically let wear off, unless someone else has had better luck getting it to go away faster?)

Edit- Damn, i just noticed... my eyes were pretty swollen in those pics lol. God that sucked.

runnergirl

Arachnopeon
When I was genius enough to get some serrano pepper juice in my eye (after scrubbing my hands for 10 minutes, still wasn't enough) and I ended up with a "corneal abrasion" (probably same type of problem from urticating hairs - physical damage causing PAIN!!!) the ophthalmologist gave me Acular, a ketorolac eye drop to relieve pain without interfering with healing (it's an NSAID - non steroidal antiinflammatory like aspirin and ibuprofen).

It was the total bomb. I'm saving it in case I need it again. It's also about $60 for 5 ml if you don't have prescription coverage in the USA. If I got urticating hairs in my eye and didn't have this on hand, I'd pay the $ to get a script for some. The pain relief was remarkable.

Oral ibuprofen helps as well, and you can combine an oral ibuprofen with an eyedrop NSAID.

Sherry