This craigslist post today...ugh.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So, I was looking on craigslist earlier just for the heck of it, and saw this:

Is losing 3 legs common, or is this just a terrible keeper?

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This t looks like it's in the worst shape I've ever seen. Could've been a bad molt but how do you try and sell that to someone in good conscience?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"... make offer on him thank u"
muahah not even a Theraphosidae that was with Lieutenant Christian during the mutiny of the Bounty was in such shape :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"Has one missing legs from last molt"

So, he's illiterate, no question about that. But he also either can't count or doesn't know that spiders have eight legs.

Either way, I pray he doesn't reproduce.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
"Has one missing legs from last molt"

So, he's illiterate, no question about that. But he also either can't count or doesn't know that spiders have eight legs.

Either way, I pray he doesn't reproduce.
Pretty sure he's counting the palps as legs. :rolleyes::rofl:

Last edited:

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Maybe the Lil dude got torn up by a female during a pairing. Now they wanna sell a wounded stud SMH

Leila

Arachnobaron
Oh my god, that poor T! :(
And owners like that doofus are the reason why I'm always trying to rescue Ts from pet shops...
He needs to cease trying to impress the girl in biology class with a "kewl spider" and perhaps pay more attention in English class. o_O

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
And owners like that doofus are the reason why I'm always trying to rescue Ts from pet shops...
dont mean to be rude, but youre only supporting them. i think that the best way to keep shops away from tarantulas is not to buy any from them in the first place.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You made a valid point. :)
It's just difficult not to take one home when I'm in there for pet supplies/food, especially when one of the clerks told me how quickly tarantulas sell there.
I mean, in an ideal world, all Ts would be sold Only by breeders with knowledge and compassion; and the only owners of Ts would be individuals with knowledge and compassion as well.
Perhaps I am part of the problem; but for a few Ts, I am their solution. :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I personally don't think it will matter one way or the other on pet stores, especially like Petco. I doubt they make that much money off of tarantula sales. I think they do it just so they can say they have more than the competition.

When I bought my 5" B. smithi (or whatever it is) from them six months ago, it had been in the store for about a month. I fell for it because I saw it on each visit when I needed some substrate, crickets, etc. These days I avoid looking at that whole area where tarantulas, lizards, snakes, etc are kept.

Seeing the tarantula in this ad almost makes me lose it. If somebody put an ad for a dog in this type of shape there would be outrage and the dog would be taken from them.

Stugy

Arachnolord
A week ago I found a guy selling a tarantula he found in his house for $10 xD. I wanted to get it since my area is filled with pesticides and my parents aren't too keen in taking me to a less urbanized area to go look for bugs xD But $10 is something I don't have lel