Think it's time for another dog

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
As you all know, I lost my beloved shih tzu (Buddy) back in October after 12 fantastic years. I have to get another dog to fill the void, luckily space is not an issue nor is size. I have narrowed it down to five purebreds and five mixed breeds:

Purebreds:

Boxer (owned this breed before, nothing like a boxer wake up call).

Yorkie

Pug

Chihuahua (already have one but another couldn't hurt)

Dachshund

Alternate: Boston terrier

Mixed breed:

Goldendoodle

Labradoodle

Puggle

Any chihuahua mix

Any Boston terrier mix

What should I pick? (Some boxers just came up for sale)

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Because you have both Yorkie and Dachshund on the list, I would like to suggest Dorkies, their name fits them as they do look quite odd, but they are wonderful, very loving dogs. I will say that mine has never gotten along well with kids, he doesn’t like to be touched while he is eating or licking himself but other than that he’s lovely! While I wouldn’t trade my little Bear for anything in the world, they are very difficult to house train, and being that mine was runt of the litter, it was thoroughly impossible; but they will use puppy pads, surprisingly.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You have some very different breeds listed there... Pugs are relatively sedate couch warmers, whereas Dachshunds are feisty little hunters. And then you have Doodles, which are large and goofy. Boxers who are powerful and high energy.

What energy level do you want?

How much grooming/maintenance do you want to be responsible for?

basin79

ArachnoGod
A dog is a very personal decision.

For me I like large breeds as I like to play fight with them and know they won't be nicked out of my backyard when adult (sadly in the UK dogs are nicked a lot from yards. To sell on or breed if they're pedigree or to use for bait for fighting dogs) and they'll look after the house when I'm out.

I think you need to weigh up the size of the dog you want first. From there you can narrow the choices down further.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's incredible that no one mentioned the Italian 'Kings', the giants... Cane Corso and Mastino Napoletano :pompous:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I've had three Boston Terriers and they've all been lovely and wonderful pets. Out of all you listed, that's the one breed I'd heartily recommend.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's incredible that no one mentioned the Italian 'Kings', the giants... Cane Corso and Mastino Napoletano :pompous:

Because I don't recommend molossers to novice dog owners.

Bonus points if you know how to correctly pronounce "Cane" ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I imagine whatever dog you choose (or even a rescue mutt) will become your best pal (and shadow) no matter what!
Happy for you -- post pictures when you adopt one!!! :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am a little afraid of dogs myself! I am more of a cat person, I like German shappards dough!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because I don't recommend molossers to novice dog owners.
Here in Italy I've never heard something like that, honestly. Here with those kind of breeds is only a matter of dog's size/home space, but if someone has those, there's no issue.

Those are two breeds that are extremely benign towards their master and his/her family :)

Bonus points if you know how to correctly pronounce "Cane" ;)
I suppose I'm quite good at, 'cane' means 'dog', in Italian, and 'cane' is one of the most used words on a regular basis, there's even curses involving that term :bored:

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here in Italy I've never heard something like that, honestly. Here with those kind of breeds is only a matter of dog's size/home space, but if someone has those, there's no issue.

Those are two breeds that are extremely benign towards their master and his/her family :)

I suppose I'm quite good at, 'cane' means 'dog', in Italian, and 'cane' is one of the most used words on a regular basis, there's even curses involving that term :bored:
People in America believe this idiotic phrase, "It's all in how you raise them." So they think they can take ANY dog and "raise" it to be friendly towards everyone and everything. Then they set the dog up to fail by putting it into situations where genetics override training and disasters happen.

Is it "Cah-Knee"?
Close! You at least have the first half right.

Everyone needs to see this. Especially Americans who pronounce it "cayne" :mad:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
People in America believe this idiotic phrase, "It's all in how you raise them." So they think they can take ANY dog and "raise" it to be friendly towards everyone and everything. Then they set the dog up to fail by putting it into situations where genetics override training and disasters happen.

Close! You at least have the first half right.

Everyone needs to see this. Especially Americans who pronounce it "cayne" :mad:
Wow. Of course it would be very similar to my name. Nobody can pronounce my name because "E at the end? Must be Cain, not Kah-nay!" (not my name but similar)

Last edited:

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
I’d personally go for a labradoodle because they’re really fun good dogs or a small dog mix like chihuahua since from my experience they end up with less health problems as they get older since they’re smaller dogs. Plus they’re cutee

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I’d personally go for a labradoodle because they’re really fun good dogs or a small dog mix like chihuahua since from my experience they end up with less health problems as they get older since they’re smaller dogs. Plus they’re cutee
Small dogs can have plenty of health issues... Chihuahuas and mixes often have collapsing trachea, luxatating patella, slipping hocks, and dental disease are the ones I see most commonly. Boston terriers can have narrow nares (impedes breathing), they have heat intolerances from being Brachycephalic, if they have NO tail (Boston tails should never be docked... they should be left with however much tail they are born with) they can have issues with the sphincter muscle...

But that is the thing with ANY dog... know what health issues are common with the breed/mix/size and decide what you are most comfortable dealing with.

Labradoodles, any Doodle, require EXTENSIVE grooming to prevent matting. They need to be deep brushed DAILY and professionally groomed (unless you are a groomer) every few weeks. People often top brush only, leaving the undercoat to get matted. This pulls at the skin, and can create issues if moisture is trapped in or under the mats such as fungus infections.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Small dogs can have plenty of health issues... Chihuahuas and mixes often have collapsing trachea, luxatating patella, slipping hocks, and dental disease are the ones I see most commonly. Boston terriers can have narrow nares (impedes breathing), they have heat intolerances from being Brachycephalic, if they have NO tail (Boston tails should never be docked... they should be left with however much tail they are born with) they can have issues with the sphincter muscle...

But that is the thing with ANY dog... know what health issues are common with the breed/mix/size and decide what you are most comfortable dealing with.

Labradoodles, any Doodle, require EXTENSIVE grooming to prevent matting. They need to be deep brushed DAILY and professionally groomed (unless you are a groomer) every few weeks. People often top brush only, leaving the undercoat to get matted. This pulls at the skin, and can create issues if moisture is trapped in or under the mats such as fungus infections.

Oo ok thanks. I seriously hate when people dock tails for cosmetics only. I used to groom and walk dogs in my neighborhood for like five bucks and a lot of people seemed to just ignore brushing their poodles and long haired dogs. Thanks for the info