Things that bug you in the hobby

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ugly, plastic storage box type enclosures.
5 gal cost more then 10, not enough space or money. Prefer glass cages , storage boxes are good for mid to big Ts. Some even have locked lids nice for Ts that escape. $7-12 instead of $40. A lot cheaper if you have 30+ spiders. Small shoebox cheaper $2-5 ea

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but here in the Netherlands, keepers are more and more starting up communals of Poecilotheria. Some with three, some with five specimens. Predominantly with P.metallica, from what I've gathered, but other species as well, though I can't tell which others off the top of my head. They all are still in the sling/juvie stage though, so there's no telling if they'll make it to adulthood of course, but it is becoming more common. Breeders are selling for communal as well.
N.incei is a done deal here though. If you post something and put N.incei communal in the text, you're in for some bashing and/or re-education ;).
I think it really starting catching on when Tom Moran started his balfouri communal.

Poecilotheria communals are something I want to experiment alot with.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Oh new thing that bugs me: when people make fun of others for naming their Ts. Like, we get it you have so many that it would be a hassle to do it, or you think it's immature. But what's it hurt? People are having fun.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just starting a chill thread here trying to get some funny responses, who knows, maybe some people might post some interesting things.
Seeing a poorly kept Avic in a pet store and feeling sorry for it but not wanting to buy it (because they'll just get another).

Videos/photos of people risking their tarantulas for shock value, such as feeding mice to their tarantulas or handling irresponsibly.

Prank videos involving spiders. (You know the tarantula is going to be discarded after the prank, and it only reinforces the negative beliefs people have about spiders.)

People who ask for advice but don't follow it or get defensive.

When my tarantulas insist on webbing over their water dishes, so I have to choose between destroying their webs or adding a second dish. (I'm looking at you, Neoholothele incei!)

When my tarantulas wait until right after I clean the dish to poop in it or drop a bolus in it.

When my unsexed tarantulas put their molts beyond reach.

NaCon

Arachnopeon
Haven’t fully started my collection so my bugs are more people based but

#1 is the amount of false information given, especially with most caresheets, this forum is the only way I have found actual info in keeping my pets alive.

#2 anyone whos Reckless when it comes to it, collecting or buying Ts without research, buying a large amount only to give up on it the second it doesn’t meet their expectations, and as some others have said buying OW, as a first or second T, or thinking they have enough experience for it (when they really don’t)

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
people that ask if I have one big tank with all like 30 T’s in it.
And right now it’s anyone that has a euathlus sp red bc I’ve been looking for about 3 years

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I would like one of these again , mine didn’t do so well 3 years ago. Over cramped in a tiny bedroom, around flee infestation times. Hope I can find cheap slings next time I find a job.

Sounds like my mom didn’t care how bad flea spray was for Ts , and thought putting them in a different room was safe....had a few Ts got dks didn’t have a camera to film them tho.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
That as soon as a T is on the cover of the BTS journal every idiot is trying to buy one driving up demand and prices. Just like when a dog wins at Westminster/Crufts that breed becomes popular. People are stupid.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T related:
- vendors/dealers who keep their Ts in cramped conditions to save space. Went to a vendor's shop a few weeks after an expo and saw the same T in the cramped plastic container it was being sold in. Another time I remember seeing a 3" maculata in a 2" high plastic container (like a cheap flimsy cookie container from the grocery store) that looked like its permanent enclosure. Not even 2x body length. Very sad.
- elitist attitudes
- newbies who want everything spoon-fed to them

Non-T related:
- when someone kills a spider then posts the photo in a spider ID group "Is this a brown recluse? Sorry I killed it." No, you're not sorry.
- kill-it-with-fire attitudes
- just people in general

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Prank videos involving spiders. (You know the tarantula is going to be discarded after the prank, and it only reinforces the negative beliefs people have about spiders.)

People who ask for advice but don't follow it or get defensive.
When my unsexed tarantulas put their molts beyond reach.
I can't agree more

- vendors/dealers who keep their Ts in cramped conditions to save space. Went to a vendor's shop a few weeks after an expo and saw the same T in the cramped plastic container it was being sold in. Another time I remember seeing a 3" maculata in a 2" high plastic container (like a cheap flimsy cookie container from the grocery store) that looked like its permanent enclosure. Not even 2x body length. Very sad.
Okay, I understand using small enclosures to save space but that is flat out ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Couldn't agree more. When I first got into keeping inverts I wanted some beetles (goliath and tropical stags) and African giant snails. Guess what I found out. I can understand them being illegal in the southern states, but I live in northern Ohio. If I took a 1000 goliath beetles and a 1000 giant snails and released them in the woods behind my house it wouldn't cause any long term problems - because not one would last the winter. Yet I have no problem buying dubias - because they wouldn't last the winter.
The laws are similar where I'm at. A Giant African Snail is also one of the ones I was after. I don't know if they'll ever loosen up, but I'll be really happy if they do;)!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My Ceratogyrus marshalli came in a cramped deli cup that did not even allow her to stretch her legs completely. It was evident from the amount of webbing and poop that she had been living in there for a while.

When I prodded her out of the deli cup into her new fossorial setup, she hissed at me, but now she is a happy pet hole. (I think she is making up for lost time with the digging.)

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
Oh new thing that bugs me: when people make fun of others for naming their Ts. Like, we get it you have so many that it would be a hassle to do it, or you think it's immature. But what's it hurt? People are having fun.
I have to agree with this, I assume most people are only jokingly annoyed by the naming, but anyway. Naming things really affects the way people think. Giving a name to a tarantula labels it as an individual, and affirms its position as someone's pet - now it has unmeasurable value since it's important enough to be named by someone.
And if someone is dead scared of a giant spider, try naming that said spider something like "Bubbles" or "Kitty" or something, it makes it sound less menacing and harder to be afraid of.

Also one irrational thing that bugs me are those soft tissues many T's are packed with in their shipping containers. They are good at keeping the T's unharmed, but trying to get the poor spider safely out of the slightly moist paper without crumbling it all around the enclosure annoys me like no other. Sure, if the spider is slow you can move it into some other container first, but with lightning fast ones that adds unnecessary possibility of unwanted bolting...
It's harmless, but I'd still rather not have tiny white pieces of paper in my nice setups!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Humidity gauges: why use them, they are unnecessary and just a waste of money, same with heating elements other than space heaters. I dislike humidity gauges about as much as @boina dislikes tarantulas with horns.