Things that bug you in the hobby

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Cleaning the water dish of a T blondi every single day.

EVERY single day there is either prey remains, moss or he just decided to flip it.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Cleaning the water dish of a T blondi every single day.

EVERY single day there is either prey remains, moss or he just decided to flip it.
My mature female A chalcodes does that too. I think she just does it so she can flick hairs at me when I fix it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yep, but there's different ways they do it. There's many questions we don't know the answers to. Why are some N incei communals successful and some aren't? Do the slings have to be kept with the mom from birth? Can they ever be introduced to each other safely after separating? What are the rules of shipping a communal? Can they be out in separate containers? Etc etc

Why fellow keepers don't thirst for knowledge like this I don't understand.
I simply can’t afford to try communal , and am afraid of having losses. I also don’t trust myself to succeed, unless it’s a proven genus. I had a p regalis pair communal for about 6 months til he got eaten or died. Split them em up once maybe, not for long. Must have failed never got eggs sack she molted soon after.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My sister wanted me to name my T ARAGOG too:rofl:!
Someone told me to name my Goliath Shelob well it didn’t live very long , sold a tumor sick spider. Hope to get a new Goliath someday, shoulda got one instead of trying to find cheaper big species. I like my Lp less health issues!!!

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I would have to say the thing that bugs me is all the laws and paperwork that hinder me from having all the inverts I want (Must...have...more). For example, I loved The Spiderman's (YouTube) Barylestis scutatus, Snaggle Fang. I absolutely would have loved to buy some slings from him or from somewhere else but things get more complex when you go international.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I hate that I have to dumb down my speech when muggles ask me about my critters. :shifty: Like, it's cool that they're interested, but for the love of god, please don't ask me what kinds of tarantulas I have unless you know something about tarantulas.

Oh, and don't walk into my spider room, tell me my T. stirmi is going to reach at least 12", and then ask why I don't have a cobalt blue because "They're so pretty!"

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I would have to say the thing that bugs me is all the laws and paperwork that hinder me from having all the inverts I want (Must...have...more). For example, I loved The Spiderman's (YouTube) Barylestis scutatus, Snaggle Fang. I absolutely would have loved to buy some slings from him or from somewhere else but things get more complex when you go international.
Couldn't agree more. When I first got into keeping inverts I wanted some beetles (goliath and tropical stags) and African giant snails. Guess what I found out. I can understand them being illegal in the southern states, but I live in northern Ohio. If I took a 1000 goliath beetles and a 1000 giant snails and released them in the woods behind my house it wouldn't cause any long term problems - because not one would last the winter. Yet I have no problem buying dubias - because they wouldn't last the winter.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I simply can’t afford to try communal , and am afraid of having losses. I also don’t trust myself to succeed, unless it’s a proven genus. I had a p regalis pair communal for about 6 months til he got eaten or died. Split them em up once maybe, not for long. Must have failed never got eggs sack she molted soon after.
Same. That's why I'm trying it probably exclusively with sacs I get. Cheaper that way.
I plan on perhaps 2 or three smaller to larger communals of Poecilotheria in the next month. Just need them to molt again..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Same. That's why I'm trying it probably exclusively with sacs I get. Cheaper that way.
I plan on perhaps 2 or three smaller to larger communals of Poecilotheria in the next month. Just need them to molt again..
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but here in the Netherlands, keepers are more and more starting up communals of Poecilotheria. Some with three, some with five specimens. Predominantly with P.metallica, from what I've gathered, but other species as well, though I can't tell which others off the top of my head. They all are still in the sling/juvie stage though, so there's no telling if they'll make it to adulthood of course, but it is becoming more common. Breeders are selling for communal as well.
N.incei is a done deal here though. If you post something and put N.incei communal in the text, you're in for some bashing and/or re-education ;).

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
-people's fascination, and desire for communals...drives me nuts.

-humidity...the word has no place in this hobby (yeah basin, I said it)

-handling

-the unreliability of loans...why is it so hard to find someone you can actually trust?

-care sheets

-you tube
Yeah, I agree. breeding loans have not worked out for me.
Speaking of which, I think my C. schioedtei males are penultimate...

Bumba

Arachnopeon
What bothers me is YouTube "experts" who are squeemish and jump or shout whenever a T is disrupted and moves, gets defensive, or strikes. I would be p/o'd too if someone was poking me. Or those that are afraid to even touch a cricket or roach.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Wild caught specimens to be sold for profit bums me out.
This mostly, they should be donated to me for free. In the interest of the hobby of course. ;)

(.. as I reach my max allowed number (determined by wife) ... I'll of course be offering these specimens for a price determined by the costs of "holding" them. Feeders are really expensive in the NL, so ymmv - also depending on if might need a new video card soon or my pick of a holiday location)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This mostly, they should be donated to me for free. In the interest of the hobby of course. ;)

(.. as I reach my max allowed number (determined by wife) ... I'll of course be offering these specimens for a price determined by the costs of "holding" them. Feeders are really expensive in the NL, so ymmv - also depending on if might need a new video card soon or my pick of a holiday location)
Feeders expensive?? Where do you get them?