Things that bug you in the hobby

boina

Lady of the mites
- feeding tarantulas vertebrate prey. It's unnecessary and therefore unnecessary cruel to the vertebrate feeders that can feel pain and fear just the way we do. Posting a video about it is just low.
- Not knowing a thing about tarantulas and their care, but knowing everything better than everyone else.
- "It's always been done like that, therefore it must be right."
- "They need x% humidity because that's the average humidity of their native country."
- restricting ventilation to "keep humidity in"

I can probably come up with more - I'm easily bugged :rofl:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
- feeding tarantulas vertebrate prey. It's unnecessary and therefore unnecessary cruel to the vertebrate feeders that can feel pain and fear just the way we do. Posting a video about it is just low.
- Not knowing a thing about tarantulas and their care, but knowing everything better than everyone else.
- "It's always been done like that, therefore it must be right."
- "They need x% humidity because that's the average humidity of their native country."
- restricting ventilation to "keep humidity in"

I can probably come up with more - I'm easily bugged :rofl:
What, no mite-induced panic?

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
My biggest pet peeve is how prices seem to vary wildly for no reason and trying to find the most reputable dealer, with the best prices, and decent shipping prices is literally a hell of my own making. I can't turn off my desire to save money. :rofl:

I just end up paying more for the convenience of my local exotics store or waiting around for an expo. At least then I can get a feel for their temperaments before I buy them.

That's another thing! I hate how ordering online is like a blind bag of what you're going to get unless you invest time in speaking with the seller one-on-one to get a feel for the animal they're sending you, which can be difficult if you're purchasing younger animals who haven't had time to develop much in the way of temperament.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
"Kill it with fire."
I actually had someone say that to me then immediately apologize and say it was kind of ingrained in them because that's what people usually find funny. Pretty good guy.

MotherofSpiders

Arachnopeon
Treating MMs like hors d'oeuvres for females. Posts like "I've thrown in 5 MMs now and each one gets pounced on by the female before they hit the ground."

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
One thing that bugs me is some folks are so sure their way is the right and only way to keep tarantulas. If your enclosure doesn't look similar to their they tell you that you are wrong and going to kill your Ts. I have live plants in my enclosure for my Avic and was told the humidity from the plants would kill him. I don't know if they thought I was keeping my sub soaking wet or what? I drip water my plants and they are all drought tolerant and hardy species like Pothos (Devil's Ivy), grass and wild violets from Ohio. He has been in this enclosure now almost 2 years and has molted 5 times in it with zero issues. If the humidity coming off plants killed Avics they'd be extinct in the wild. Now I know keeping them damp can be an issue. But, my sub is bone dry except every 10 days the sub at the base of the plants gets around 10-15 drops of water. I don't think that kind of watering will lead to Sudden Avic Death Syndrome.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
One thing that bugs me is some folks are so sure their way is the right and only way to keep tarantulas. If your enclosure doesn't look similar to their they tell you that you are wrong and going to kill your Ts. I have live plants in my enclosure for my Avic and was told the humidity from the plants would kill him. I don't know if they thought I was keeping my sub soaking wet or what? I drip water my plants and they are all drought tolerant and hardy species like Pothos (Devil's Ivy), grass and wild violets from Ohio. He has been in this enclosure now almost 2 years and has molted 5 times in it with zero issues.
I can see where your coming from, but I think your point of view is slightly skewed on this. Most of the experienced keepers opt to simplify things for our new members, live plants only complicate things and are not beneficial in any way shape or form...other then aesthetically to you.

Sure they can work in this context...it can also be disastrous for others who do it wrong, anything that needs to be watered regularly shouldn't be in an avic enclosure IMO...there are other species that would be better suited for that kind of thing.
If the humidity coming off plants killed Avics they'd be extinct in the wild. Now I know keeping them damp can be an issue.
The issue isn't humidity so to speak, its stagnant and stuffy air...in the wild they live high in trees where there is excellent airflow, and yes its humid there.

In captivity avics die in low vent cages period. Keeping them moist just accelerates the process.

Combine all these factors with live plants that need to be watered, and literally give off humidity as they grow...you can see where the inherent danger lies.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
• When tarantulas won’t let go of their water dishes.

• When tarantulas take their water dishes into their burrow and hide them.

• When tarantulas put their water dishes up side down.

• When tarantulas put dirts on or over their water dishes.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I can see where your coming from, but I think your point of view is slightly skewed on this. Most of the experienced keepers opt to simplify things for our new members, live plants only complicate things and are not beneficial in any way shape or form...other then aesthetically to you.

Sure they can work in this context...it can also be disastrous for others who do it wrong, anything that needs to be watered regularly shouldn't be in an avic enclosure IMO...there are other species that would be better suited for that kind of thing.

The issue isn't humidity so to speak, its stagnant and stuffy air...in the wild they live high in trees where there is excellent airflow, and yes its humid there.

In captivity avics die in low vent cages period. Keeping them moist just accelerates the process.

Combine all these factors with live plants that need to be watered, and literally give off humidity as they grow...you can see where the inherent danger lies.
Yeah. Stuffy unventilated enclosures are death sentence. Side and top ventilation are a must for Avics. I have a Zilla arboreal enclosure. Has excellent ventilation. I’ve never had any mold grow in it. I added springtails I cultured just in case. And red worms living in my substrate with help keep the soil overturned and oxygenated. It’s more work than a spartan enclosure. I have the time though being 100% disabled and retired from the US Army. All I do all day is check on my invertebrates and take care of my bird if I have one. I currently don’t, but will be trapping a new juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk next month to train and hunt.

When people spell tarantula "tranchula".
I catch myself spelling it Taranutla all the time. My horrible chicken peck typing is why. I can’t seem to not look at the keyboard to type. My wife and kids can. I can’t. Too old I think. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
People who like common names.

Random unexplainable deaths.

Arrogant beginners.

People who have a collection of 50+ in two months of keeping.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Another one is obviously made up common names

(Rare Amazonian black bird-eating pinktoe goliath tarantula)

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
New keepers who are dead set on NOT taking advice and wonder why their animal died.
People who say 'eww you have spiders?!?! but you can't hold them or play with them' ..... You can't hold or play with fish either so your point?
People who are adamant they can handle an OW and then post about how they just got bit...or loose OW.... or dead OW who bit the human and or another pet.
Shipping prices suck....
People who are shady and screw other people over in the hobby and make it even harder to trust. Come on now, we're all in the hobby because of the same reason, we love them.
Tarantulas that love to poo in their water dish then absolutely refuse to let you remove their 'toilet' to replace it with fresh water lol (T. stirmi was horrible at that)
Pet store people not knowing their rears from holes in the ground...

The list goes on and on lol

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Naming T’s.

WHAAAAT???!!!

Oh no, he di-int say that?!

Yeah, pokin’ the bear.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
One thing that bugs me in this hobby is the Legendary Names "ARAGOG" and "SHELOB" Hear that name every time in this hobby for everyone's T.'s.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Freaking out over laws that have always been in place. Calm down they are not busting in with m4's at the ready over your tarantulas.

Being critical over making sure which part of the Latin name is capitalized. If it is spelled correctly that is good enough. We are not writing scientific papers.

Bioactive anything. This word is getting thrown around a lot now and should be viewed like something from a snake oil salesman. Gimmicks to sell products are laughable, but too many buy into it.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Naming T’s.

WHAAAAT???!!!

Oh no, he di-int say that?!

Yeah, pokin’ the bear.
Hahaha I'm so guilty of this. My very first tarantula was my baby and she did have a name :p Brachypelma (now) hamorii turned mature female with the name Big Red. Although truth be told once you start getting the collection going, they just get labeled with their scientific name and whether or not they are male or female XD

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hahaha I'm so guilty of this. My very first tarantula was my baby and she did have a name :p Brachypelma (now) hamorii turned mature female with the name Big Red. Although truth be told once you start getting the collection going, they just get labeled with their scientific name and whether or not they are male or female XD
That's quitter talk. All of my Ts are named.

Every. Last. One. :punch::troll:

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
That's quitter talk. All of my Ts are named.

Every. Last. One. :punch::troll:
I have a hard enough time trying to come up with names for 'pets' I started naming by personality on some of my scorpions. Douchbag, for instance, was my Heterometerous spinifer and his attitude fit his name perfectly :playful:

Only a couple have gotten names, it's just easier to the scientific and gender for me and my future husband lol He's forced into liking them lol