Things that bug you in the hobby

Minty

@londontarantulas
Randomly, Singaporeans whose mother tongue, is English, usually pronounce the ‘L’ in salmon.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Randomly, Singaporeans whose mother tongue, is English, usually pronounce the ‘L’ in salmon.
The "L" is silent? I honestly did not know that despite having watched a lot of English content. Probably wasn't very fish-heavy media ...

Minty

@londontarantulas
My ag teacher pronounced almonds "am-unds"... she said if the "L" in salmon is silent, so is the one in almonds :rofl:
Hahah my mother in law does this!

I just tried pronouncing 'almonds' a few times. The L isn't silent when I say it, but it is quite soft.

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
The "L" is silent? I honestly did not know that despite having watched a lot of English content. Probably wasn't very fish-heavy media ...
Yeah, the L has become vocalised. It's the same in words such as 'talk', 'walk', and 'calm', etc.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Loud crickets and smelly cockroaches.
I love cricket sounds!

Hahah my mother in law does this!

I just tried pronouncing 'almonds' a few times. The L isn't silent when I say it, but it is quite soft.
I pronounce it fully... "all-munds" lol

Yeah, the L has become vocalised. It's the same in words such as 'talk', 'walk', and 'calm', etc.
'Calm' has the L fully pronounced... but yeah, the other two have pretty much dropped it.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I love cricket sounds!

I pronounce it fully... "all-munds" lol

'Calm' has the L fully pronounced... but yeah, the other two have pretty much dropped it.
Not here it doesn’t. Haha

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
What bothers me even more than brand new keepers arrogantly trying to keep OBTs is the fact that they're easily available to those keepers. I've seen them at pet shops in person and online for $15, even less, and they're a staple of any expo or exotic pet store.
Also, not selling Ts based on the scientific name. Instead, they're like "uhh, yeah, this is a Central American brown tarantula."

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
What bothers me even more than brand new keepers arrogantly trying to keep OBTs is the fact that they're easily available to those keepers. I've seen them at pet shops in person and online for $15, even less, and they're a staple of any expo or exotic pet store.
Also, not selling Ts based on the scientific name. Instead, they're like "uhh, yeah, this is a Central American brown tarantula."
Obt's are awesome tarantulas first of all even though they are highly overrated on arachnoboards as being evil bitey things which everyone knows who keeps them properly is they will bolt to hide when disturbed. What bothers me is walking into a pet store and seeing B.albo slings for 4.99$ or free with any purchase. Cant walk into a pet store without seeing over a dozen of them taking up space that an fossorial or arboreal tarantula could be on to buy.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Obt's are awesome tarantulas first of all even though they are highly overrated on arachnoboards as being evil bitey things which everyone knows who keeps them properly is they will bolt to hide when disturbed. What bothers me is walking into a pet store and seeing B.albo slings for 4.99$ or free with any purchase. Cant walk into a pet store without seeing over a dozen of them taking up space that an fossorial or arboreal tarantula could be on to buy.
Bolting at the speed that they do when disturbed is still a danger, and the vast majority of new keepers should not be starting with any OWT, much less one with the defensive properties of OBTs. B. albopilosum being offered for low prices is a great way to cut down on people looking for Ts ending up with an OWT that they're vastly unprepared for.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Bolting at the speed that they do when disturbed is still a danger, and the vast majority of new keepers should not be starting with any OWT, much less one with the defensive properties of OBTs. B. albopilosum being offered for low prices is a great way to cut down on people looking for Ts ending up with an OWT that they're vastly unprepared for.
I get where your coming from maybe I am just biast as i started with an obt in 2007 kept her in a 5 gallon terrarium filled with packed substrate. Never had any issues with her or got any threat postures.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I get where your coming from maybe I am just biast as i started with an obt in 2007 kept her in a 5 gallon terrarium filled with packed substrate. Never had any issues with her or got any threat postures.
Sounds to me like you probably got an unusually placid OBT. They do have personality variations, so sometimes people will find a less insane one.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Sounds to me like you probably got an unusually placid OBT. They do have personality variations, so sometimes people will find a less insane one.
I keep mainly old world fossorial and arboreal tarantulas. Until early this year i didn't know what a threat posture looked like first hand. Now most times i take lid off my C.lividus enclosure i am greeted with one, however i just find it funny and give her a roach and add water to enclosure before closing the lid. I keep all my tarantulas in bigger enclosures than most do with lots of dirt or hiding places for the arboreal.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
All of the bugs besides the T’s themselves. I hate feeders! Especially mealworms. GROSS

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not here it doesn’t. Haha
Lol well yall have different accents there! :p

No, it sounds like an Orange Bob kept properly with lots of space.

Of my Orange Bob Army, there is ONE that will bolt out of the enclosure rather than in... and has been that way since a wee sling. The only threat displays I have gotten are from mature males. My matriarch female, Orb, was well known to sit in the open even if I opened the enclosure and rehousing her was like dealing with the laziest rosea. A T that is allowed to burrow/hide/feel safe is not nearly as defensive as, or defensive at all compared to, one who is set up incorrectly.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
As far as buying T's themselves, the prices being way high in the US and shipping costs.

As far as other keepers, people that DO NOT DO THEIR DUE DILIGENCE (or do and are just stupid) BEFORE BUYING A T.