Things I find while gardening.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Hey guys, I work as a gardener and find a lot of things during my work, I also go on hikes in weekends and vacations.
Now, in this thread I will be posting pictures of my findings, this will usually be daily.
I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum for that though, as it isn't limited to natural habitats or man made habitats.

I'll be starting with some orchids that I found today, which I think are Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. praetermissa var. junialis.

And then an orchid that I found yesterday, which I think is a Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. praetermissa.

This is what the area looked like:

And a male dungbeetle that is chasing a female.

The species is most likely Geotrupes stercorarius.
I also found some fungi:

:clown:

---------- Post added 06-16-2013 at 02:30 PM ----------

I also found some dragonflies:

Area:

Last edited:

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Found more orchids today.

Having the idea that these are Dactylorhiza praetermissa and Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. praetermissa var. junialis.

Orchids are rare here, I just happen to find them all of the time.

Some orb weaver having dinner:

Rana temporaria:

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
So I saw a magpie eating a mole today.

Aglais urticae:

Too bad it flew away before my camera could focus, but don't worry you'll probably see a lot of them soon as my caterpillars started to pupate.

I was building a trampoline today, and as you probably (atleast if you've had a trampoline before) know, water bugs can't see the difference between a trampoline and water, so I found quite a few of these guys after they tried to kamikaze on the trampoline I was building.

Last edited:

vukic

Arachnopeon
Kamikaze bugs!! What more do you need.. Lol.

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Akai

Arachnobaron
It looks like you enjoy your job. You have some gorgeous fauna in your neck of the woods. thanks for sharing. :cool:

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Great cormorant:

Ducklings:

More orchids:

I think they're Dactylorhiza maculata subsp. maculata, Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. praetermissa and Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. praetermissa var. junialis.

The weird thing is, I found these in the middle of a city.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Found some swallow nests today:

And a moth, which will be staying in my car for a while as it can't fly yet.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool pics!
What type of camera do you use? Fungi pics are nice and clear!

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Found myself a new pet today, it's an Arctia caja, the poor thing was drowning in my rain barrel.

Other than that, the weather has been too crappy lately to make pictures.

I also ordered a Vanda today, looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

Akai

Arachnobaron
Love Vandas. Especially when you see them in their native environments growing high up in the trees. One of my favorite memories of SE Asia.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
I went for a short walk in the forest today.

Found myself some subhuman slime:

I have no idea what it really is, I'm guessing some kind of fungi, I'll be calling it forest jellyfish either way.
Digitalis:

Mutant planet eating wasp.

Carduus flower:

Also caught a few of these guys for an experiment.

These poor guys have mites crawling all over them, the experiment was to remove them without killing the beetle, and it worked.

MY DOG:

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Tried to find an European adder and a viviparous lizard today, no success.

I found an area that seems to be able to support them though.

Heracleum sphondylium:

Maniola jurtina:

nikoli_ca

Arachnopeon
Great pictures, the first dragonfly is Libellula quadrimaculata and blue one is Libellula depresa, and the orb weaver is Tetragnatha sp.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Found these things in an area of which the upper ground layer was scraped off to make place for a pond, this means that they exposed old seeds that were trapped in it and those started to grow again.

I need some help identifying these as I have never seen them before.

Sweet fungi.

Mating dragonflies.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your pics continue to impress!!!
Keep them coming!

are you using a kit lens?

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Your pics continue to impress!!!
Keep them coming!

are you using a kit lens?
It's a 18-55mm lens that came with the camera itself.

I might get myself a macro-lens someday as I have some trouble taking pictures of tiny things such as slings.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 04:15 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that I received the Vanda that I ordered last weekend today, here's a picture.

I'd like some tips and tricks on the care, if possible.

I plan on fertilizing it every two weeks with a normal 20-20-20 fertilizer by applying it with a sprayer but I will stop fertilizing it between November and January.
Watering (as in letting the roots soak in a bucket of water for half an hour)will happen every 4-5 days (unless it's really hot or dry, but that never happens in the Netherlands) by gently putting it in a bucket of rain water after I've sprayed the roots so they become more manageable, I will also spray it in the morning when it's going to be a sunny day.

Every page about Vanda care seems to be different, but this is what I got out of it.

Last edited: