There's a bat in the house!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
So not arachnid related but creepy enough to get some appreciation on these pages I reckon.
So we had a micro bat inside tonight poor little dude, I tried shooing him outside but with 2 daughters and a wife who were getting a bit excited it was easier just to lock those 3 outside while I dealt with it, I scooped him up mid air with my shirt in one swift move, so thankful he just sort of landed on it and I just gently wrapped a piece of the material over him.
I hung the whole shirt in the papaya tree outside and after about 10 minutes was on his way- phew.
Not sure of the species but he was just the most delicate, tiny, little thing and glad he got out without being hurt.
But seriously that face lol, why would anything ever need to look like that, like ever. No wonder they get around in the dark- ugh. IMG_20190130_210016.jpg IMG_20190130_210318.jpg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Thanks for extending it kindness. To me, they are fantastically beautiful animals, incredibly evolved in it's adaptation. If one wants a truly bizarre appearance, consider what evolution did to Pan.

I read a hilarious paper a while back. The homo sapien rivals the bat in the number and complexity of autonomic neuro-muscular functions per second. The bat capable of almost defying the laws of physics in it's flight capability while the human uses it's evolvement to just stand upright without falling over.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have bats (Myotis emarginatus) that lives, since years, in the 'cascinale' I have on my eastern wing garden ('cascinale' can be translated from Italian to English into 'farmstead') and they are the best mosquito-killers ever :)

When I need/if I need more bats the only thing I have is to ask to my friend, a Priest, to let me enter in the (Church owned) cave of Bereguardo, Pavia, and catch those.

Here the link of the local newspaper about those bats:

https://laprovinciapavese.gelocal.i...a-grottadei-pipistrelli-rari-le-foto-1.608371

Where I live, Pavia and Pavia province, bats are big... the municipalities use bats in public parks etc

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you for releasing the little fella! I love bats... they are unique, amazing, helpful little beings!

You can search online for "bat house" blueprints to create a place inviting to bats!